Atlantis Online
October 19, 2021, 09:30:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Has the Location of the Center City of Atlantis Been Identified?
http://www.mysterious-america.net/hasatlantisbeenf.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

John McCain

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John McCain  (Read 62 times)
Adrienne
Superhero Member

« on: April 20, 2007, 11:00:53 am »

McCain to critics of his Iran joke: Get a life
Republican presidential contender had quipped about bombing Iran

Alice Keeney / AP
Presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., answers questions from the media at the Veterans of Foreign Wars post in Summerville, S.C., on Wednesday.
 View related photos 

NBC VIDEO

• McCain's 'Bomb Iran' song on YouTube
April 19: It's another sign of politics in the YouTube age. MSNBC's Chris Jansing reports.
MSNBC

Updated: 6:32 a.m. CT April 20, 2007
LAS VEGAS - Sen. John McCain has a message for any critics who thought his musical joke about bombing Iran wasn’t funny: Get a life.

While campaigning for president in South Carolina on Wednesday, McCain responded to a question about how to deal with Iran by breaking into the melody of the Beach Boys song “Barbara Ann” but changing the lyrics to “Bomb Iran.”

“That old, eh, that old Beach Boys song, ‘Bomb Iran,”’ McCain joked and then added: “Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb ... anyway, ah ...” The audience responded with laughter.

The Arizona Republican was asked for his reaction to any negative response to the joke when he arrived in Las Vegas for a fundraiser Thursday night.

“Please, I was talking to some of my old veterans friends,” he told reporters. “My response is, Lighten up and get a life.”
When reporters asked if the joke was insensitive, McCain said: “Insensitive to what? The Iranians?”

McCain’s joke, which was circulating on the Internet, was prompted by an audience question in Murrells Inlet, S.C., about whether he believes the United States should send Iran “an airmail message to Tehran.”

After his joke, McCain turned serious and said that he agrees with President Bush that the United States must protect Israel from Iran and work to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. McCain has long said that the military option should not be taken off the table but that it should be used only as a last resort.

Reagan’s 1984 quip at the height of the nuclear arms race with the Soviet Union when he said: “My fellow Americans, I’m pleased to tell you today that I’ve signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.”

Reagan was testing a microphone before his regular Saturday radio address.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18201844/

Report Spam   Logged

"In a monarchy, the king is law, in a democracy, the law is king."
-Thomas Paine

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Adrienne
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 11:01:44 am »

Sen. McCain sticks to views on guns
POSTED: 1:28 a.m. EDT, April 17, 2007

LAREDO, Texas (AP) -- U.S. Sen. John McCain says the shooting rampage at Virginia Tech does not change his view that the Constitution guarantees everyone the right to carry a weapon.

"We have to look at what happened here, but it doesn't change my views on the Second Amendment, except to make sure that these kinds of weapons don't fall into the hands of bad people," McCain said Monday in response to a question.

The Arizona Republican, who was campaigning in this Texas-Mexico border city, said he didn't know the details of the attacks at Virginia Tech.

"I do believe in the constitutional right that everyone has, in the Second Amendment to the Constitution, to carry a weapon," he said. "Obviously we have to keep guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens."

The Second Amendment reads: "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Millions of gun-owning Americans believe that article of the Bill of Rights guarantees private gun ownership. Critics of gun violence and many constitutional lawyers say it merely bans the federal government from disbanding citizen militias of the sort that fought British troops in the early days of the American Revolution.

McCain and other presidential hopefuls issued statements expressing shock and grief over the attacks.

"As a parent, I am filled with sorrow for the mothers and fathers and loved ones struggling with the sudden, unbearable news of a lost son or daughter, friend or family member," read a statement by Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, a Republican, called it a "day of national tragedy, when we lost some of our finest to a senseless act." Giuliani canceled all his campaign events for Tuesday.

Democratic candidate John Edwards said in a statement: "We are simply heartbroken by the deaths and injuries suffered at Virginia Tech. We know what an unspeakable, life-changing moment this is for these families and how, in this moment, it is hard to feel anything but overwhelming grief, much less the love and support around you. But the love and support is there."

Republican candidate Mitt Romney said: "The entire nation grieves for the victims of this terrible tragedy that took place today on the campus of Virginia Tech. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families and the entire Virginia Tech community. Our full support is behind the law enforcement officials who are involved with stabilizing the situation and conducting an investigation."

Democratic Sen. Barack Obama said the nation is mourning the dead and praying for their families and for the wounded.

"Today, we are a grieving and shocked nation. Violence has once again taken too many young people from this world."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/17/mccain.guns.ap/index.html
Report Spam   Logged

-Thomas Paine
Adrienne
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 01:09:24 pm »

McCain takes shot at Romney on immigration
POSTED: 9:31 a.m. EDT, May 22, 2007

Sen. John McCain speaks to reporters Monday while on a trip to Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Story Highlights• John McCain accuses Mitt Romney of changing positions on immigration
• GOP presidential hopeful needles his rival Romney over "varmint" remark
• Romney campaign says McCain having trouble defending immigration bill

Adjust font size:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Republican presidential hopeful John McCain taunted rival Mitt Romney on immigration Monday, saying the former Massachusetts governor should "get out his small-varmint gun and drive those Guatemalans off his lawn."

Romney's campaign responded that McCain "is having a very difficult time" defending his support of a sweeping immigration bill, which Romney opposes.

McCain is a leading backer of the bill, which critics have denounced as "amnesty" for illegal immigrants. (Listen to McCain mock Romney's position on immigration )

On Monday afternoon, McCain made fun of Romney's evolving positions on other issues when asked about the immigration controversy during a conference call with bloggers.

"In the case of Gov. Romney, you know, maybe I should wait a couple of weeks and see if it changes, because it's changed in less than a year from his position before," McCain said. "And maybe his solution will be to get out his small-varmint gun and drive those Guatemalans off his lawn. I don't know."

The jab squeezed in references to two past controversies: Romney's backtrack on an April comment that he'd "been a hunter pretty much all my life" -- he later said he had shot "varmints," such as rabbits, as a child; and a 2006 report in The Boston Globe that a landscaping firm Romney hired to maintain his home for years had hired illegal immigrants.

McCain repeated the line to reporters Monday evening after a speech to state lawmakers in Oklahoma.

Romney has been criticized for previous support of abortion rights, which he now says he opposes, and for his support of gun control during his four years as Massachusetts governor.

But his spokesman, Kevin Madden, said that Romney "has been very clear that he opposes this immigration agreement, which clearly falls short of the American public's expectations."

"It seems that the candidate who brokered this flawed plan is having a very difficult time coming to terms with the political fallout that has ensued and cannot even muster up a substantive argument in favor of it," Madden said.

McCain's support for the immigration bill already has led to a sharp exchange last week between the senator from Arizona and his Texas GOP colleague, Sen. John Cornyn. (Watch the fallout over McCain's reported exchange with Cornyn )

Cornyn was speaking outside the Senate chamber with other senators and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff about concerns that the proposed legislation could lead to judicial appeals that would tie up the courts, as first reported Friday on Washingtonpost.com.

Another senator present called that concern "chicken----."

Sources contradict each other on which senator used the word. Cornyn became angry and said that while he had been present during the meetings held over the past few months by the bipartisan working group that crafted the bill, McCain had appeared only at the last minute.

Sources said that comment elicited a "F--- you!" from the gentleman from Arizona.

McCain admitted after the 2000 Republican primary campaign that his temper might have hurt his chances to be president.

"My anger did not help my campaign," he said seven years ago. "People don't like angry candidates very much."

Republican strategist Ed Rollins said Tuesday that incidents such as these diminish McCain's appeal to voters who don't know him.

"The bottom line is, I've known John for a long time and I admire him greatly," Rollins said. "But the critical thing is people who don't know him watch him and they don't know if he has the right temper to be president of the United States. Every time he makes a mistake in the campaign, this clip and every clip will be repeated so it's a whole reel of him going out of control.

"When the pressure gets on, he tends to get his back up a little bit," Rollins said. "He's 70 years old. People don't want a cantankerous president."

CNN's Lauren Kornreich contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/22/mccain.romney/index.html
Report Spam   Logged

-Thomas Paine
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 01:20:13 pm »

I don't know Adrienne.  I used to admire John McCain, but now he seems rather two-faced and definitely out of touch with reality.  In other words, he's past it!
Report Spam   Logged
Adrienne
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 01:35:31 pm »

I wouldn't vote for him either, Tom, but he does always make for good copy!
Report Spam   Logged

-Thomas Paine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: