Atlantis Online
July 28, 2021, 06:48:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FARMING FROM 6,000 YEARS AGO
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156622&command=displayContent&sourceNode=156618&contentPK=18789712&folderPk=87030

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

HIGHLIGHTS IN EARLY ATLANTOLOGY

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HIGHLIGHTS IN EARLY ATLANTOLOGY  (Read 1026 times)
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« on: April 13, 2007, 12:13:33 am »

Hi Carolyn ,Tom

I only just noticed this category " Scientific Atlantis ",  This will be my home from now on  Grin

Yes Sykes is considered to be the Atlantologist of the first half of the 20th century. He was a great collector of Atlantis books.

If I could make a suggestion. I think Athanasius Kircher with who published a map of Atlantis in the 17th century is the first Atlantologist.Although only technically.

It's fair to say modern Atlantology starts with Donnelly.  Is that right??

Dang, Mark!  You just gave me another clue to follow.  It never occurred to me to investigate Kircher until you brought him up - I just thought he was some Jesuit priest that found an old map!  Turns out, he was very important.

Check out this:

Kircher's Atlantis Map

In 1665, German priest - Jesuit, Athanasius Kircher (1602-1680), published "Mundus Subterraneus", a massive book which included the reproduction of an ancient Egyptian map of Atlantis. The original map was taken away from Egypt by the Romans, probably after the completion of Cleopatra's rule. Cleopatra was the last pharaonic ruler of Egypt before it fell to Rome in 30 B.C.

Inscriptions on the map:  America, Atlantic ocean, Atlantis, Africa, Spain.

Upper left-hand corner reads:

Situs
Infula Atlantis, a
Mari ohm abforpte ex
mento Egyptiorum et
Plantonis deferptio.

which translates to:  "Site of Atlantis now beneath the sea according to the beliefs of the Egyptians and the description of Plato."

Can you, or anyone vouch for the statement of how Kircher came into possession of this map? Did it really come from the Egyptians?  Cause, if it did, that is further corroboration that the Egyptians had a version of the Atlantis story, too, as it seems that they did! 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: