Atlantis Online
May 24, 2022, 01:45:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Plato's Atlantis My Theory

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 141   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plato's Atlantis My Theory  (Read 68211 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2007, 02:01:20 am »

I have been thinking a lot lately about this "location of Atlantis" problem.

It seems to me that the whole placement of Atlantis hinges on that one statement of Plato"s that is argued over so much:

Did he say the size of Libya and Asia - or did he say Between Libya and Asia? 

It seems the ancient Greek is a tricky language, with all kinds of nuances and different meanings, so if it could be determined that he actually said "Between" Libya and Asia, then it would certainly narrow the target area down to something manageable. 

I also wondered if the priest wasn't subtely hinting that ancient, ancient Egypt was actually part of Atlantis.  If he said "between" Libya and Asia, then there is only two places it could be.  Egypt or Arabia.  Now I'm not a scholar on this stuff, but I kind of gathered that Egypt and Arabia were populated by the same culture for years and years, or perhaps I should say similar cultures, and that the peoples mixed with each other for centuries. 

Now I know Blue Hue is hard to understand sometimes, but I got to thinking about some of the things he said, (trying to sort the wheat from the chaff), and I was thinking that if the priest wasn't being subtle, what WAS he saying?  If he said "between" Libya and Asia, knowing full well that Egypt is between Libya and Asia, was he referring to his own country in the distant past?  Doesn't really sound like it because he also says that they, and all those within the area were grateful to be released from Atlantean rule. (Although that could be part of the priest's subtle talk too - especially if he was a true Egyptian and didn't like the rule of the Atlanteans) So if he meant Arabia, one would think he'd just say Arabia, since he knew that country existed also. 

So logically, just from other things Plato has said, it would seem that he DIDN'T know the location of Atlantis, other than in general terms, but he DID get the description down in detail.  Since the priest would have known of Arabia, and Solon would have known of Arabia, and Plato too, then it seems to me the writings would have mentioned the place by name.  But since the location is the part that's so controversial, I personally think he did mean somewhere west of Gibralter.  Neither he nor Solon had travelled outside the Med. say to England where the tin came from, and yet they knew tin came from up there somewhere.  But they couldn't give a location for Atlantis.  Therefore, it seems to me, that it could well have been an island in the Atlantic, or it was in the Americas.
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 141   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: