Atlantis Online
May 27, 2022, 07:20:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ice Age blast 'ravaged America'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6676461.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Plato's Atlantis My Theory

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 141   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plato's Atlantis My Theory  (Read 68214 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #240 on: August 27, 2007, 12:25:54 am »

Hi Julia,
I know, I was  very confused about Atlantis also, (still am) but there are some things that can be ruled out, while others need a lot of research.  I find that the more I study, the more I find there are different interpretations to things.  Not just WHAT Plato said, but how he said it, that certain things don't mean the same thing today, etc.  AND, as for all those TRIBES and HOUSES, and KINGS, I just can't grasp it all Grin

For instance, somewhere in Plato, he says something about "from these islands you can get to the real continent" or something like that.  So.....we right away jump to the conclusion that you HAD to use these islands to get to the continent.  But maybe, that isn't it at all. Maybe it was just ANOTHER way to get to the continent.  Like a short cut, if you're travelling by boat.  Then, there is the bit about "nesos".  We know all the things "nesos could mean, but we also have an "island" of land, being created by rivers on all it's boudaries such as Meroe.  And this could be what Plato meant also, but who knows for sure?  Seems to me, Plato was just too ambiguous for the story to be real.  I mean, here's a guy that's highly intelligent, super educated, is a philosopher etc., and yet he can't be more specific in the details of his story.  Perhaps he just was telling a story of his ideal state afterall.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have a lot of faith in Edgar Cayce, I think I would decide in favor of Atlantis never having existed Tongue

Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 141   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: