Atlantis Online
October 27, 2021, 12:56:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: USA showered by a watery comet ~11,000 years ago, ending the Golden Age of man in America
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_02.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

THE GREAT ATEN

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE GREAT ATEN  (Read 10890 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2008, 11:57:09 am »

p. 102

In a letter from Lapaya the writer says:

"If the king were to write to me for my wife I would not refuse to send her, and if he were to order
me to stab myself with a bronzed dagger I would certainly do so."

Among the writers of the Letters is a lady who reports the raiding of Ajalon and Sarha by the Khabiri.

All the letters tell the same story of successful revolt on the part of the subjects of Egypt and the capture and plundering and burning of towns and villages by the Khabiri, and the robbery of caravans on all the trade routes.

And whilst all this was going on the king of Egypt remained unmoved and only occupied himself with the cult of his god!

The general testimony of the Tall al-'Amarnah Letters proves that he took no trouble to maintain the friendly relations that had existed between the kings of Babylonia and Mitanni and his father.

He seems to have been glad enough to receive embassies and gifts from Mesopotamia, and to welcome flattering letters full of expressions of loyalty and devotion to himself, but the gifts which
he sent back did not satisfy his correspondents.

He sent little or no gold to be used in decorating temples in Mesopotamia and for making figures of gods, and some of the letters seem to afford instances of double-dealing on the part of the king of Egypt.

At all events, he waged no wars in Mesopotamia, and when one city after another failed to send tribute he made no attempt to force them to do so. It is uncertain how much he really knew of
what was happening in Western Asia, but when Tushratta and others sent him dispatches demand-
ing compensation for attacks made upon their caravans, when passing through his territory, he must
have realized that the power of Egypt in that country had greatly weakened.

As the years went on he must have known that
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: