Atlantis Online
October 18, 2021, 03:39:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists to drill beneath oceans
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,8063.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

An Inconvenient Truth Nominated for an Academy Award

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Inconvenient Truth Nominated for an Academy Award  (Read 222 times)
Allison
Superhero Member

« on: February 24, 2007, 02:45:34 am »

Could Gore's road to the Oval Office begin in Hollywood?
POSTED: 9:41 p.m. EST, February 23, 2007
Story Highlights• Al Gore's movie, "An Inconvenient Truth" is nominated for an Oscar
• Movie has put the former vice president back into the political spotlight
• Movie's producer does not think Gore will announce candidacy
• Political observers think an Academy Award could launch a "Draft Gore" movement
By Bill Schneider
CNN Senior Political Analyst

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- We've seen plenty of political moments at the Oscars before. But on Sunday, we could see the most unusual political moment ever.

Consider this scenario: It's Academy Awards night. Best documentary feature is up. And the Oscar is favored to go to . . . "An Inconvenient Truth," starring former Vice President Al Gore.

Lawrence Bender, producer of "An Inconvenient Truth," and the film's other producers come up to accept the Oscar -- with Gore. (Watch Bender explain while it might be Gore's time )

The audience roars its approval -- this is liberal Hollywood -- and Gore speaks.

"There's even some speculation that he would use his Oscar as the occasion to announce that he's running," Martin Kaplan, director of the University of Southern California's Norman Lear Center, told CNN. "Imagine that: a billion people worldwide! Take that Jay Leno, as an announcement venue!''

Could it happen? Gore's producer thinks a potential Gore speech would be a historic moment, but not the way Kaplan envisions.

"It's electrifying, not politically, because is Al Gore going to run or not going to run. There's nothing going to happen like that," Bender told CNN. "It's electrifying because the man who is responsible for solidifying the forces around global warming is going to'' be acknowldged.

But could an Oscar start the momentum for a draft-Gore movement? USC's Kaplan thinks it could.

"People think that he's paid his dues, he's had more of an impact on issues that people care about than many people who have been in office and there's a feeling that he's finally lost that student council condescension that was fingernails on a blackboard to a lot of supporters," Kaplan said.

Democrats are desperate to win. Doubts have begun to surface about the electability of the party's current front-runners. How's this for an argument? Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party.

"He was right on Iraq. He was right on global warming. He has an issue that is so formidable and has attacked it, tackled it," Bender said. "So I would love to see him run, sure, but I don't see that in the cards."

But once that envelope is opened, there will be a new card to play.

Maybe Mr. Gore will get up and say, "I have new song to sing." After all, the film has been nominated in the best song category, too.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/23/schneider.gore/index.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Allison
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 02:46:37 am »

It's a shoo-in to win the Oscar!!!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Essan

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 08:05:34 am »

Best fictional screenplay?   Grin Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Andy
Allison
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 04:50:48 pm »

Funny, no best doc, course it could win for best song, too.

Now if GEORGE BUSH had made a movie on global warming, that would be a fiction for sure!
Report Spam   Logged
Jason
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 05:45:46 pm »

Congratulations to Al Gore.  Does anyone know when the winners of the Nobel Peace Prize will be announcec?
Report Spam   Logged
19Merlin69

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 06:38:35 pm »

Best fictional screenplay?   Grin Wink

No doubt. 
Report Spam   Logged

Knowledge is a gift to be given; stupidity, a communicable disease.
19Merlin69

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 06:40:31 pm »

Congratulations to Al Gore.  Does anyone know when the winners of the Nobel Peace Prize will be announcec?

Agreed.  Good for him - he converted environmentalism into cash; how very capitalist of him.  Now, let's see if he can convert mass hysteria into a prize of gold.  That would be a real trick.

The prizes are awarded on Dec. 10 - the anniversary of Nobel's death.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 06:46:20 pm by 19Merlin69 » Report Spam   Logged

Jason
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 12:39:05 am »

Agreed.  Good for him - he converted environmentalism into cash; how very capitalist of him.  Now, let's see if he can convert mass hysteria into a prize of gold.  That would be a real trick.

The prizes are awarded on Dec. 10 - the anniversary of Nobel's death.

Except that all the money Gore has made on it is going back into his non-profit organization, Alliance for Climate Protection, which is using it to simply further people's awareness on global warming:

http://www.allianceforclimateprotection.org/bios.php
Report Spam   Logged
19Merlin69

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 04:14:37 pm »

Except that all the money Gore has made on it is going back into his non-profit organization, Alliance for Climate Protection, which is using it to simply further people's awareness on global warming:

You remind me of Allison - you "assume" that you read what I wrote.  Read it again.  I said environmentalism, not "Inconvenient Truth".  Anyone who has seen the movie knows where the proceeds are going for the movie.  Can you deny that HE, himself is now making more money than before?  The IRS says he is...  That means he's parlayed environmentalism into capitalism - no two ways about it.  Don't fret, making money won't be held against him; at least it won't by me.  Don't be so sensitive - I was agreeing with you and congratulating him!

Report Spam   Logged

cydonia

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 12:21:39 am »

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/editorial/editorial_item.asp?NewsID=188

Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damage
By Chris Demorro
Staff Writer

The Toyota Prius has become the flagship car for those in our society so environmentally conscious that they are willing to spend a premium to show the world how much they care. Unfortunately for them, their ultimate ‘green car’ is the source of some of the worst pollution in North America; it takes more combined energy per Prius to produce than a Hummer.

Before we delve into the seedy underworld of hybrids, you must first understand how a hybrid works. For this, we will use the most popular hybrid on the market, the Toyota Prius.

The Prius is powered by not one, but two engines: a standard 76 horsepower, 1.5-liter gas engine found in most cars today and a battery- powered engine that deals out 67 horsepower and a whooping 295ft/lbs of torque, below 2000 revolutions per minute. Essentially, the Toyota Synergy Drive system, as it is so called, propels the car from a dead stop to up to 30mph. This is where the largest percent of gas is consumed. As any physics major can tell you, it takes more energy to get an object moving than to keep it moving. The battery is recharged through the braking system, as well as when the gasoline engine takes over anywhere north of 30mph. It seems like a great energy efficient and environmentally sound car, right?

You would be right if you went by the old government EPA estimates, which netted the Prius an incredible 60 miles per gallon in the city and 51 miles per gallon on the highway. Unfortunately for Toyota, the government realized how unrealistic their EPA tests were, which consisted of highway speeds limited to 55mph and acceleration of only 3.3 mph per second. The new tests which affect all 2008 models give a much more realistic rating with highway speeds of 80mph and acceleration of 8mph per second. This has dropped the Prius’s EPA down by 25 percent to an average of 45mpg. This now puts the Toyota within spitting distance of cars like the Chevy Aveo, which costs less then half what the Prius costs.

However, if that was the only issue with the Prius, I wouldn’t be writing this article. It gets much worse.

Building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage than a Hummer that is on the road for three times longer than a Prius. As already noted, the Prius is partly driven by a battery which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario. This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the ‘dead zone’ around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles.

The plant is the source of all the nickel found in a Prius’ battery and Toyota purchases 1,000 tons annually. Dubbed the Superstack, the plague-factory has spread sulfur dioxide across northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist’s nightmare.

“The acid rain around Sudbury was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside,” said Canadian Greenpeace energy-coordinator David Martin during an interview with Mail, a British-based newspaper.

All of this would be bad enough in and of itself; however, the journey to make a hybrid doesn’t end there. The nickel produced by this disastrous plant is shipped via massive container ship to the largest nickel refinery in Europe. From there, the nickel hops over to China to produce ‘nickel foam.’ From there, it goes to Japan. Finally, the completed batteries are shipped to the United States, finalizing the around-the-world trip required to produce a single Prius battery. Are these not sounding less and less like environmentally sound cars and more like a farce?

Wait, I haven’t even got to the best part yet.

When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and build a Toyota Prius, the flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the Prius’s arch nemesis.

Through a study by CNW Marketing called “Dust to Dust,” the total combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.

The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use less combined energy doing it.

So, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the Prius. Instead, buy one of the most economical cars available - a Toyota Scion xB. The Scion only costs a paltry $0.48 per mile to put on the road. If you are still obsessed over gas mileage - buy a Chevy Aveo and fix that lead foot.

One last fun fact for you: it takes five years to offset the premium price of a Prius. Meaning, you have to wait 60 months to save any money over a non-hybrid car because of lower gas expenses.
Report Spam   Logged
19Merlin69

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 06:57:09 pm »

I replied in the other thread to this Cy.
Report Spam   Logged

Allison
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 08:39:41 pm »

You remind me of Allison - you "assume" that you read what I wrote.  Read it again.  I said environmentalism, not "Inconvenient Truth".  Anyone who has seen the movie knows where the proceeds are going for the movie.  Can you deny that HE, himself is now making more money than before?  The IRS says he is...  That means he's parlayed environmentalism into capitalism - no two ways about it.  Don't fret, making money won't be held against him; at least it won't by me.  Don't be so sensitive - I was agreeing with you and congratulating him!

Who cares how much money he makes?  The new environmentally friendly business climate is bound to open up tons of new industries for people to make money in.  The people who won't make as much money? The big oil companies, which have been screwing people over at the pump for all the last two years.
Report Spam   Logged
19Merlin69

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 09:03:59 am »

Who cares how much money he makes?  The new environmentally friendly business climate is bound to open up tons of new industries for people to make money in.  The people who won't make as much money? The big oil companies, which have been screwing people over at the pump for all the last two years.

Finally - something we can almost agree on.  Believe it or not Allison, I do seek to agree with you sometimes.  I personally think capitalism is a good thing - a great thing, no less.  It is "survival of the fittest" in the business world.  But then, I do think there are limits to be adhered to, but I won't bore you with the details of my personal beliefs.

Now, to the unfortunate disagreement (albeit a tiny one):  BIG OIL is like a cockroach - they won't die, even during a thermonuclear "free-for-all".  They are capitalism on steroids, smoking crack, sucking back methampthetamine like manna from heaven and chasing it all down with a PCP-shooter.  Folks like BP, Shell and Standard have all ready begun the process of "diversifying" into 'alternatives'.  Aside from the fact that their profit margins on fossil fuel might shrink, they'll be there to bend us all over whatever comes next.  As much as I hate to say it - they are a teflon-coated, kevlar-vested punching dummy that can take whatever comes - and bounce right back.  It comes down to the reality that they just don't give a good-goddarn about what people think of them because they know that there's always someone worse.  All they need to do is divert our attention to *something worse* for a moment or drop fuel prices for a week and we forget why we were mad at them.  We're all trained pets - and they know it.

I'm disgusted by the addiction and subsequent subservience to big oil, but I'm embarrassed to admit that WE are the ones that continue the cycle.  We need an intervention.
Report Spam   Logged

Allison
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 07:16:49 pm »

Well, I'm glad that we could finally found something we could agree on, Merlin.  Chnage is good!  The new, presumably more environmentally world will open up new industries and new ways for forward-thinking people to make money.

The new, presumably more health consious world we will build is getting all the transfat out of foods, and, hopefully, eventually, all the carcinogens, too.  Food will be healthy, else it won't be sold - that's my vision.  No more artery clogging additives that are put in simply to make things taste better.

Eventually, we will have stem cell research federally funded, and the possibilities for curing the sick will be endless.

That's my definition of "progress." And it's also why I get so ticked off at times at conservatives, if they had their way, we would have none of that.  We'd sacrifice it all in the name of profit.
Report Spam   Logged
19Merlin69

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 09:34:05 pm »

Utopia...  Wouldn't it be grand...

If the various religious texts of the world are to be believed, it doesn't work.  Utopia always falls prey to man's desire to dominate.

Anyway, we do agree on your vision.  Or, better put, we agree that it would be a beautiful vision to behold.  You and I seek to achieve it in different ways though.  You'd seek to withold the things that are bad for you and I'd prefer that common sense take over and people realize that bad things are bad for you.  Eugenics aside, I would go so far as to create an "Anabuse-like" substance to curtail people's desire to self-destruct.  You say tomato - I say ....

Health consciousness would be a thing of beauty, maybe the price of carrots and radishes would finally drop to a price similar to Orville's microwave popcorn.  That would be a boon to my existence since all I snack on are those tasty little purple and orange morsels of heaven.

Oh well, you get my point - and - I get yours.  It's nice to find common ground again.  GO STEM-CELLS!  WooHoo!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:36:45 pm by 19Merlin69 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: