Atlantis Online
October 04, 2023, 04:36:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giant crater may lie under Antarctic ice
  Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Girl struck by lightning while opening fridge

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Girl struck by lightning while opening fridge  (Read 129 times)
Misty Allen
Superhero Member
Posts: 4749

« on: June 07, 2015, 11:42:01 pm »

Girl struck by lightning while opening fridge
Posted on Friday, 5 June, 2015

The lightning struck without warning. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Blyskawica
High school student Macie Martinez was struck by a bolt of lightning while standing inside her kitchen.
The teenager and her parents, who live near Lake Travis in the US state of Texas, had just emerged from their pantry after sheltering there following a local tornado warning.

According to reports, Macie had opened the fridge door to fetch some food when she was suddenly struck by a powerful bolt of lightning that left her screaming in agony.

"I remember when I was holding on it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced in my whole life," she said. "Then, afterwards, I couldn't feel my legs, and I couldn't walk and I was just shaking."

After pulling her clear of the fridge her parents rushed her to the nearest hospital.

Doctors revealed that she had sustained a wound on her back where the electricity had left her body as well as burns on her arms. It was remarkable that she hadn't been killed.

According to a neighbor the lightning had come up from underneath the house and went out through the roof. All the major kitchen appliances were fried and there were scorch marks everywhere.

"I feel very lucky. Lucky to be sitting here doing this interview today," said Macie.

"Normally, I'd go outside in the rain, but now it's like oh my gosh, there may be a storm I need to stay inside. I need to be safe. Stay in bed. It's a change."

Her parents have since installed lightning rods and a surge protector in the house in an effort to prevent anything similar from ever happening again.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Powered by EzPortal
Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum
Powered by SMF | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
Privacy Policy