Atlantis Online
January 27, 2023, 03:59:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists Confirm Historic Massive Flood in Climate Change
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20060228/

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

ATLANTIS airs Oct 7th on History Channel

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATLANTIS airs Oct 7th on History Channel  (Read 7839 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 11:21:47 am »

Ok - I'll try to slow down a bit and make some sense!!

Yes, I believe that an erroneous translation has been perpetuated over the centuries.  When people started becoming interested  in Atlantis after Ignatious Donnelly brought it to the forefront again, THEN moderns started questioning the translations and we've been debating it ever since.  Somewhere in this forum there is a thread with the complete translation by Atalante, and the determinitives are explained regarding the language.  I was totally surprised myself when I read the differences in the translations by the different writers, Bury, Jowett, and others.   It changed the whole scenario.

My previous post was a bit disjointed so I hope you could follow along.  What I'm trying to say, is that if we take what we think was known at the time, with no embellishments, and no assuming things beyond their capacity of understanding, I believe that the two ends of the Med. were considered two bodies of water, joined by a narrow channel.  However, the western one would have been considered part of the world ocean because they thought that whatever land was west of that channel, was islands - which it isn't.  So we in our modern times, knowing that it isn't, try to place an island way out yonder in the Atlantic ocean.  I believe Nikas is correct when he says that only two "contients" or "mainlands" were thought to exist.  One on the north of the Med. and one on the South, and the two were surrounded by the world ocean, of which, the western end of the Med. (Atlas's ocean) was a part.  They did believe in the ancient times, that they could access the world ocean by going east as well.  Siculus in his works, copied from Homer as well.  Here is what is known as the Homerian map, although it's a copy of a copy of a copy etc., as apparently we don't have the original, but I think it might be safe to assume that the copy people didn't screw the whole thing up totally!!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:28:22 am by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: