Atlantis Online
August 18, 2022, 08:25:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Evil Eye

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Evil Eye  (Read 1948 times)
The Creeper
Superhero Member

« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2009, 12:59:40 am »

looked more dismayed. . . . The fish was thrown aside, but not the knives, armed with which they all rushed at my back." He describes how his paint-box and apparatus were smashed, the painting destroyed, and he himself knocked down and "a big knife was kept well over my head."

The dread of being pictured is found all over the world. The writer has often heard Somerset people object to having their likenesses taken on the ground that it is unlucky, and that so and so was "a-tookt," but soon afterwards she was "took bad and died." Of course these persons would indignantly repudiate any suggestion of superstition; indeed they would do the same about any other belief, such as the death-watch, or an owl's hooting, nevertheless they confess to the feeling and are strongly influenced by it. Quite recently the wife of a gardener near the writer's home objected to have her photograph taken upon the ground that she had "a-yeard 'twas terrible onlucky"; and that "volks never didn live long arter they be a-tookt off," i.e. photographed.

Whence then do these notions come, if they are not the heritage of untold ages?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: