Atlantis Online
June 19, 2024, 02:51:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Did Humans Colonize the World by Boat?
Research suggests our ancestors traveled the oceans 70,000 years ago
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jun/20-did-humans-colonize-the-world-by-boat

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Underwater Roads

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Underwater Roads  (Read 1352 times)
Tiffany Arsenault
Superhero Member

« on: April 12, 2009, 05:48:29 pm »

Analysis and Discussion
Again I will state up front that I do not know whether the site is natural or human-made. While I suspect the former, it looks very much to be constructed by human hands. But if so, the age and purpose of such an underwater road remains an enigma and puzzle. One possibility is that the waterway has changed its course, and did not always flow across or cover the structure in the past as it does now. Another possibility is that the site is actually of more recent origin and was used as a wagon crossing in early settlement or logging times; perhaps to keep heavy loads from miring in the bottom. That would place it somewhere in the 1850s to 1900 period. In fact there are old logging dam ruins and abandoned water crossings on this and other area streams.

Among the more exotic possibilities is that the underwater structure is somehow related to the ancient copper mines of Lake Superior. In fact, some writers have speculated that the waterway in which the underwater structure is located was part of a prehistoric transportation route between the ancient copper mines of Lake Superior and out of the region to distant points elsewhere.

This mining began some 8,000 years ago around Lake Superior and on Isle Royale shortly after the retreat of the last glacier and continued sporadically down to the time of Columbus-European contact. Some believe that in later times the Toltec or Aztec civilizations played a role in this ancient copper trade. Others have speculated that there were Old World contacts that obtained Lake Superior copper in ancient times. Is it possible that this underwater structure was in some way connected with the transportation of the pure red metal out of Lake Superior and into the southward flowing Mississippi River?

Or more speculative still, is it possible that the site isn't a road or causeway at all, but instead represents the top of a much larger structure, possibly now buried or otherwise concealed by glacial sediments and only exposed in this small section by wave action? If this is the truth of the matter, then the larger question must be asked: What lies beneath it?

Yet another possibility suggested to me and the most extreme yet -- is that these blocks of "stone" are not ordinary stone at all, but roughly shaped ingots of Lake Superior native copper, the mishwabik of the red man, and concealed or otherwise lost in this remote locale at some ancient date. Unfortunately, this possibility did not occur to me at the time of my visit and I did not investigate as to the material of which these objects are made.

Such musings, however, take us far afield from what most modern "experts" believe or would otherwise accept as reasonable conclusions and into the realm of wild speculation. I myself conclude nothing here, but only record that this site exists and offer these photographs as evidence of this very real and rock-solid existence.

Herbert Wagner
January 8, 2008
Email me at:
herbswoods@yahoo.com

http://www.atthecreation.com/ROAD/UNDERWATER.RD.html
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: