Atlantis Online
June 19, 2024, 01:40:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Underwater Roads

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Underwater Roads  (Read 1352 times)
Tiffany Arsenault
Superhero Member

« on: April 12, 2009, 05:45:57 pm »

After proceeding upstream for nearly a mile while photographing aquatic wildlife and scenery, I entered a shallow, broad and almost lake-like enlargement of the waterway thick with submergent vegetation that made swimming difficult. Since there continued to be abundant aquatic life and my camera batteries were holding up, I continued through the long and fingerlike strands of gently undulating growth. At times it was difficult to force a passage through the lush aquatic vegetation and the physical sensation of contact while moving through this eerie landscape was slightly unpleasant as it suggested the gentle caressing hands of weird green inhabitants of this wildly remote watery locale.

I cannot stress enough how unnerving it can be when swimming alone in the myth-haunted underwater realm of northern Wisconsin tributary to Lake Superior and ones mind conjures up forebodings of uncanny water beings, powerful deities, and even the terrible mishigenabeg or "Great Horned Water Serpent" that the Indians hold to be the original gods and supernatural inhabitants of this darkly forested and over-watered realm. At times a creeping apprehension or dread overwhelms you and you actually expect to come face-to-face with a malevolent fang-filled visage from some primordial freak-show or fear-filled lurking nightmare to scare you witless or worse!

That day, chilled by the lengthy immersion in the water, fatigued by the long swim, and probably oxygen deprived to some degree, those eerie feelings began to follow me around as they often do when far from the drone of modern civilization with its dull and predictable realities. Knowing too that my camera batteries wouldn't last much longer, I was about to turn around and head back downstream when abruptly I emerged from the thick growth into a small clearing in this weedy underwater labyrinth. But instead of the flat sand or rubble bottom that I expected to find, in front of me lay a strikingly different vista. This appeared to be a carefully laid out linear arrangement of geometrically shaped stones that for all the world looked like part of an underwater structure!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: