Atlantis Online
June 19, 2024, 02:14:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Underwater Roads

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Underwater Roads  (Read 1352 times)
Tiffany Arsenault
Superhero Member

« on: April 12, 2009, 05:44:12 pm »

Great discover, Qoais, maybe it's of Native American origin?

Discovery of a Prehistoric Underwater Structure in Northwest Wisconsin?

(Photo taken underwater at a remote location in northern Wisconsin.)

by

Herbert Wagner

herbswoods@yahoo.com

Introduction

Ancient earthworks, artifacts, native trails, and prehistoric copper mines are well known entities in Northwest Wisconsin and in the Upper Peninsula. This webpage describes an intriguing site recently identified in northern Wisconsin. Due to the sensitive nature of this discovery and its uncertain affiliations, the exact location is not revealed in order to protect site integrity from vandalism or looting.

An Underwater Structure?
The discovery was made on July 24, 2007 during an underwater exploration on a remote tributary in the upper Mississippi River basin in northern Wisconsin. Unlikely as it sounds, the site appears to be an ancient underwater structure -- possibly a road or causeway -- constructed of flat, rectangular-shaped blocks of stone that appear to be cut or otherwise worked and then carefully fitted into place. Although likely of natural origin, to the casual eye the "structure" looks amazingly like ancient stone-paved roads or other ruins found in MesoAmerica, Europe, and elsewhere.

Like much of northern Wisconsin the waterway in which this curiosity was found lies is in a remote and seldom visited semi-wilderness setting. Modern archeological knowledge of this area is largely a blank page. For those reasons I am always on the lookout for artifacts or unusual objects while in the field. This discovery, however, came as a surprise and shock due to its peculiar and highly suggestive nature. In my previous explorations I have never seen anything even remotely like it.

The expedition to this particular location was based on the tradition that this waterway played a role as a historic and prehistoric transportation route between Lake Superior and the Mississippi River valley. This route was first noted by Europeans in the 17th century but certainly used by "native" peoples for thousands of years before the Columbus-European contact period.

A Myth Haunted Underwater Realm
After securing my vehicle at a seldom used backwoods landing, I donned my underwater gear. The day and water were warm enough so I didn't feel the need to put on my wetsuit. After testing my underwater camera for leaks, I entered the water and proceeded to swim and work my way upstream in the slightly turbid waters of the current-filled channel. Since I had never dived this waterway before, everything was new and unknown to me.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:44:55 pm by Tiffany Arsenault » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: