Atlantis Online
June 28, 2022, 04:07:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

AFRICAN ROCK ART

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AFRICAN ROCK ART  (Read 6282 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 12:16:47 pm »

Since this thread is already available for African Rock Art, I shall use it to add the following:

The Tassili n’Ajjer [Algeria] : birthplace of ancient Egypt ?
[/b]

The Tassili n’Ajjer of Southern Algiers is described as the “largest storehouse of rock paintings in the world”. But could it also be the origins of the ancient Egypt culture ?

In January 2003, I made enquiries to visit the Hoggar Mountains and the Tassili n’Ajjer, one of the most enchanting mountain ranges on this planet. The two geographically close but nevertheless quite separate landscapes are located in the Sahara desert in southeast Algeria. I was told that if I could pack my bags immediately (literally), I could join the three weeks’ trip. Unfortunately, I could not, but planned to go on the January 2004 trek.

A few weeks later, Dutch and German tourists were kidnapped in the area (though the English group I would have joined had no such problems). Some of the tourists were held for several months, before German and Dutch troops were sent in to free the hostages from their rebel captors. The kidnappings have since stopped most if not all tourists from travelling towards the magical rock paintings of the Tassili, as insurance brokers are unwilling to provide cover. At a time when the world was beginning to wake up to the magical reality of the Tassili paintings, international political tension has placed the prehistoric rock paintings off-limits.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/1997350/posts

.......continued
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:17:54 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: