Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 11:48:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists Confirm Historic Massive Flood in Climate Change
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20060228/

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Pyramids built with water.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pyramids built with water.  (Read 2236 times)
cladking

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 10:15:33 pm »

I've been distracted by looking into the sand in the queens chamber and trying to find the chemical composition of this and that of the sand in the Egyptian red sandstone that is found near Elephantine.  There are numerous apparent references in the Pyramid Texts to there being red water flowing from these early in the season.  It seems quite possible that this is the result of the carbonated water lying in the aquifers and dissolving the red sandstone caps. 

There's quite a bit in the texts but I'll try to keep this information out of this thread.  The sand found in the queen's chamber is said to be between 100 and 400 microns in size which is a relatively small fraction.  It is also mostly quartz of rounded and mostly rounded shape.  This is totally different sand than is found in the surrounding desert.  It has a different make-up and size fraction.  It is very improbable that this sand could have gotten here other than by natural means or being hauled in by the builders. It is my contention that it's a virtual certainty that the builders did not import sand to a desert so the only reasonable hypothesis is that it came in with moving water (high in the pyramid). 

There's another problem with starting a thread on how it was built;  I'm not very sure.  There are many things in which I have good confidence but there are a great many detail in which my confidence is poor.  It was apparently cladded from the top down. 

There are two main water sources and it's likely that one failed during construction.  Osiris stood in a natural fissure just to the north of the entrance and about 40' east.  There was structure above this area which contained an upper Eye of Horus.  Petrie remarked that it appeared that there had been more structure in this area because of the way the stones were laid in the vicinity of the entrance.  This was essentially a platform with a hole in it and a deflector to keep the water from falling back down or creating back pressure on the water coming up.  This water would be treated with some sort of heavy grease with a high natron content.  This was to cause as much CO2 as possible to off gas.  During the construction seasion the wind was from the north so these were typically on the north side to assure the gas would blow off toward the south and east and be dispersed where relatively few men were.  Under normal conditions this would be no threat. It was only when the wind slowed and the CO2 could build up in low lying areas in or around the pyramid that there was extreme danger.  This geyser was extremely stable but there would be an operator on the djed at the base of the pyramid.  Teeth at the top could be used as a throttle to fine tune the height and it could be moved in each direction to hit the eye above.  Any explosive changes in pressure would be vented around the djed but there was always some danger that the geyser might hit the structure causing a collapse or "swallowing of the Eye of Horus".  At the top the water would be divided into different channels for different usages which probably gave rise to using this eye as the standard symbol for fractions later in their history. It's still used by pharmacists.  Half would normally go straight to the distribution node through the nurse (mn) canal which was also "greased" with natron.  This node  is known to us as the queens chamber.  This chamber rose as the pyramid rose.  The bottom of these canals would have to be shoveled out periodically because of sand accumulation.  Even when the geysers were active the sandstone would be dissolving but there wouldn't be enough siderite and similar oxides to color the water. 

It appears that many times Osiris could only rise on his side.  This must have plagued them frequently between about the 6th and 12th year of construction.  It appears that the ascending passage may well have been intended to raise water with large shaddufs while this area was still exposed.  The girdle stones may have been large dams to hold the water at progressively higher altitudes and to get it to the queens chamber. 

Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 01:16:55 am »

This is very impressive Cladking.  I think I'm starting to believe your theory Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
cladking

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 11:06:59 am »

This is very impressive Cladking.  I think I'm starting to believe your theory Smiley

Thanks again.

Just keep in mind that none of this is carved in stone and my confidence in many of the finer details is poor. An inordinate amout, you'll see, is based on legend more than on physical evidence. 

I've recently reached the point that I believe it's extremely likely that the theory is basically accurate.  I never believed in any of the ramp theories but accepted them without consideration until I saw a picture of the pyramid in scale and learned their true size.  What really makes this come alive is reading the Pyramid Texts with this "knowledge".  Quite a few details come from this source. 
Report Spam   Logged
cladking

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 11:30:15 pm »

Set and Osiris were in the same nest per the Pyramid Texts.  These were the ben bens just north of the Great Pyramid which were removed and drilled to create the first geysers.  Osiris was the first born and progenitor of Nut (the sky) and Geb (the earth).

When the queen's chamber reached the height of the top of the geyser there were two options; lift the water to a higher level or lift the stones up to this level and lift them again using the exact same method.  Their engineers apparently determined that the most efficient means was to raise the water another 26' by means of a series of shadufs in the grand gallery.  There were slots along the bottom which held the framework for these shadufs as well as a groove along the edge which helped to support a walkway to relieve the men.  This water was channeled into the kings chamber (upper distribution node) as the grand gallery lenghtened and raised.  The node had to go up just as the lower node (queens chamber) had risen.

When there were 13 shaddufs in the grand gallery Osiris had been divided into 14 distinct pieces counting the upper node.  It was this which gave rise to the part of the legend that Osiris was divided into 14 pieces.  His most male characteristic (the geyser) (the phallus) was now missing, however.  Fish had been imported to keep down the algae which grew explosively in the surrounding lakes and watercourses because the high CO2 content in the water and the desert sun and heat.  These fish also served to fertilize the sandy soil at the end of the season.  They had to be tolerant of very high CO2 content which meant only specific species were useable.  It was against the religion to eat these species because "they had eaten Osiris' phalus".  They were more valuable in their role on the plateau than as food anyway in all likelyhood. 

At some point there was an attempt to get more height out of Osiris.  The legend says that Set induced him to lie down in a wooden box which was then filled with lead.  This failed, Osiris died, the box was thrown into the Nile.  Cold water geysers are very fragile, ephemeral, and temporal.  Any sort of attempt to control one of these could very easily kill it.  Enemies could kill one intentionally in myriad ways so there was some effort to control knowledge about their nature and existence.  There would be a great amount of infrastructure associated with them and crops would fail when one was lost.  Isis was nearby slumbering in her original site in the grotto south of Osiris.  There was a tunneling down to this area right through the pyramid during construction.  This geyser was likely on the side of the hill (it's at a higher level than Osiris) so the water tended to run down hill instead of forming a well defined ben ben.  Hence it was born a girl geyser rather than a boy.  There may well have been more flow as well.  The pyramid texts suggests that Isis had a tendency to stink which would imply a higher level of hydrogen sulphide was vented here than in Osiris.

To lift the large stones of the top of the kings chamber it was necessary to use all three of the northern counterweights in tandem.  The primary probably had an additional boat which could be attached for larger lifts and this might be true of the auxiliary counterweight as well.  They would not risk damaging these because of the safety factor and they couldn't lift more with one than the other or the load would skew it would be more likely to hangup.  I'd guess they used the auxiliaries at full capacity of about 8 tons each and the primary to do the bulk of the lift. 

OK.  we're up to the level of the bottom of the kings chamber and the kings chamber itself is complete near the center of the pyramid with lots of core stones in the area.  With any luck someone will finish figuring out the last of the Pyramid Texts before I have to make the next post.   Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: