Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 11:32:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ice Age blast 'ravaged America'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6676461.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

GOLDSMITH'S ART - Faberge' Eggs

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GOLDSMITH'S ART - Faberge' Eggs  (Read 10857 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 10:19:50 am »

"Today, I am expected to be the symbol of Russia," Vekselberg said through an interpreter.

Behind him, a magnified image of a pink enameled egg created a surreal perspective. Lily of the valley blossoms made from pearls suddenly looked as big as pumpkins. And Vekselberg looked a bit like the tiny surprise inside one of his eggs.

LILIES OF THE VALLEY EGG 1898

Gold, ormolu (gilded bronze),
vermeil (gilded silver), enamel,
diamonds, rubies, pearls,
rock crystal

"I looked into my heart and I understood that we, the businessmen of Russia, are not the same as we were five years ago," Vekselberg said. "We have changed together with our country."

His offering consists of more than 100 pieces of Faberge collected over decades by Malcolm S. Forbes and consigned to auction by the Forbes sons. The late 19th- and early 20th-century works were the glittering output of the imperial jeweler Carl Faberge, who rose to prominence under the last two czars. Faberge has become synonymous with luxury, fine craftsmanship and precious materials no longer affordable. Having the collection, and especially the eggs, back in Russia presumably will contribute to an understanding of the last gasp of the Romanovs' rule. A promise to make the collection public -- the eggs are scheduled to go on display at the Kremlin in mid-May -- has made Vekselberg a hero back home.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:25:10 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: