Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 04:39:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists Confirm Historic Massive Flood in Climate Change
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20060228/

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

George Erikson: "Lost Atlantis" & Other ORIGINALS

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George Erikson: "Lost Atlantis" & Other ORIGINALS  (Read 8972 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2009, 07:13:43 pm »

Daffy Duck
Member # 320

Rate Member   posted 01-13-2004 07:54 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Andre and NileQueen and I have discussed this (precession) amongst ourselves, and speaking for myself, I'd tend to agree that ancients oriented their structures to some astronomically significant feature (due north, due east, spring/fall equinox, summer/winter solstice, etc.). OK, so then a big anomaly with that logic is the "Avenue of the Dead" at Teotihuacan (Mexico):

http://archaeology.la.asu.edu/teo/intro/citymp1.htm

The "Avenue of the Dead" is off-set from true north ~17 degrees (as best as I can approximate with a protractor on the screen - lol - lazy bastard that I am. I think I've read it's 19 degrees. But that's Hoagland, and he's got a thing for 19 degrees. Tetrahedral geometry and all. Maybe I should just print it.....nah, F' it). So, as far as I know, there is nothing significant about that angle from true north.

It would be 'wonderful' if Teotihuacan could be dated back to 12,500 B.P., and we could speculate that the "Avenue of the Dead" pointed true-north..... "Unfortunately,"  archeology is limiting the site to about ca. 200 B.C. for earliest habitation (from the same link).

Anyway, I find the axis orientation of the "Avenue of the Dead" at Teotihuacan 'anomalous' from other famous sites, but maybe that's due to my lack of exposure to less famous sites. But, maybe it is anomalous, and somebody should check it out.
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: