Atlantis Online
October 24, 2020, 04:23:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giant crater may lie under Antarctic ice
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn9268

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

F E M I N I S M

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F E M I N I S M  (Read 1510 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 12:02:22 pm »

Anti-suffragists in 1911

Men and feminism

Anti-suffragists in 1911The relationship between men and feminism has been complex. Men have taken part in significant responses to feminism in each 'wave' of the movement. There have been positive and negative reactions and responses, depending on the individual man and the social context of the time.

These responses have varied from pro-feminism to masculism to anti-feminism.

In the twenty-first century new reactions to feminist ideologies have emerged including a generation of male scholars involved in gender studies, and also men's rights activists who promote of male equality (rights to equal treatment in family, divorce and anti-discrimination law).

Historically a number of men have engaged with feminism.

Philosopher Jeremy Bentham demanded equal rights for women in the eighteenth century.

In 1866, philosopher John Stuart Mill (author of “The Subjection of Women”) presented a women’s petition to the British parliament; and supported an amendment to the 1867 Reform Bill.

Others have lobbied and campaigned against feminism.

Today, academics like Michael Flood, Michael Messner and Michael Kimmel are involved with men's studies and pro-feminism.

A number of feminist writers maintain that identifying as a feminist is the strongest stand men can take in the struggle against sexism. They have argued that men should be allowed, or even be encouraged, to participate in the feminist movement.

Other female feminists argue that men cannot be feminists simply because they are not women. They maintain that men are granted inherent privileges that prevent them from identifying with feminist struggles, thus making it impossible for them to identify with feminists.[153] Fidelma Ashe has approached the issue of male feminism by arguing that traditional feminist views of male experience and of "men doing feminism" have been monolithic.

She explores the multiple political discourses and practices of pro-feminist politics, and evaluates each strand through an interrogation based upon its effect on feminist politics.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 12:05:48 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: