Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 11:04:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Did Humans Colonize the World by Boat?
Research suggests our ancestors traveled the oceans 70,000 years ago
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jun/20-did-humans-colonize-the-world-by-boat

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

F E M I N I S M

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F E M I N I S M  (Read 2572 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: May 18, 2008, 10:50:04 am »

Angela Davis

speaking at the

University of Alberta on
28 March 2006

Black feminism

Black feminism argues that sexism, class oppression, and racism are inextricably bound together.

Forms of feminism that strive to overcome sexism and class oppression but ignore race can discriminate
against many people, including women, through racial bias.

The Combahee River Collective argued in 1974 that the liberation of black women entails freedom for all people, since it would require the end of racism, sexism, and class oppression.

One of the theories that evolved out of this movement was Alice Walker's Womanism. It emerged after the early feminist movements that were led specifically by white women who advocated social changes such as woman’s suffrage. These movements were largely white middle-class movements and ignored oppression based on racism and classism. Alice Walker and other Womanists pointed out that black women experienced a different and more intense kind of oppression from that of white women.

Angela Davis was one of the first people who articulated an argument centered around the intersection of race, gender, and class in her book, Women, Race, and Class.

Kimberle Crenshaw, a prominent feminist law theorist, gave the idea the name Intersectionality while discussing identity politics in her essay, "Mapping the Margins: Intersectionality, Identity Politics and Violence Against Women of Color".

Multiracial feminism

Multiracial feminism (also known as “women of color” feminism) offers a standpoint theory and analysis
of the lives and experiences of women of color.

The theory emerged in the 1990s and was developed by Dr. Maxine Baca Zinn, a Chicana feminist and
Dr. Bonnie Thornton Dill, a sociology expert on African American women and family.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:58:12 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: