Atlantis Online
April 16, 2024, 02:44:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: USA showered by a watery comet ~11,000 years ago, ending the Golden Age of man in America
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_02.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

F E M I N I S M

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F E M I N I S M  (Read 2543 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: May 18, 2008, 10:28:42 am »

Feminism's many forms

Several subtypes of feminist ideology have developed over the years; some of the major subtypes

are listed below. These subtypes often overlap, and some feminists identify themselves with several

types of feminist thought.

Liberal feminism

Betty Friedan in 1960

Liberal feminism asserts the equality of men and women through political and legal reform.

It is an individualistic form of feminism, which focuses on women’s ability to show and maintain their equality through their own actions and choices. Liberal feminism uses the personal interactions between men and women as the place from which to transform society.

According to liberal feminists, all women are capable of asserting their ability to achieve equality, therefore it is possible for change to happen without altering the structure of society.

Issues important to liberal feminists include

reproductive and abortion rights,

sexual harassment,

voting,

education,

"equal pay for equal work",

affordable childcare,

affordable health care and

bringing to light the frequency of sexual and domestic violence against women.

Radical feminism

Radical feminism considers the capitalist hierarchy, which it describes as sexist, as the defining feature of women’s oppression.

Radical feminists believe that women can free themselves only when they have done away with what they consider an inherently oppressive and dominating system.

Radical feminists feel that there is a male-based authority and power structure and that it is responsible for oppression and inequality, and that as long as the system and its values are in place, society will not be able to be reformed in any significant way.

Radical feminists see capitalism as one of the most important barriers to ending oppression.

Most radical feminists see no alternatives other than the total uprooting and reconstruction of society in order to achieve their goals.

MORE HERE:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_feminism
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:48:30 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: