Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 01:52:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Many Women Don't Feel Obligated to Vote for Clinton

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Many Women Don't Feel Obligated to Vote for Clinton  (Read 60 times)
Deanna Witmer
Superhero Member

« on: May 03, 2008, 04:18:07 pm »

Many Women Don't Feel Obligated to Vote for Clinton

By Nikki Schwab
Mon Apr 21, 8:56 AM ET

Reuters Photo: Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) speaks to a crowd of supporters in Market Square

When Michelle Obama appeared Tuesday night on The Colbert Report in Philadelphia, encountering faux pundit Stephen Colbert and hoping to give her husband the "Colbert Bump" before next Tuesday's Pennsylvania primary, the comedian asked her an important question--who she was supporting for president.

After a chuckle from the audience and a definitive answer--"Barack Obama"--from Michelle Obama, Colbert pointed out that pollsters kept telling him that all the women were going to Hillary Clinton.

"That's been a mistake that the polls have made," Obama said. "There are many women like myself who are independent, strong, who care about family values, who know Barack is special, that he has something unique to offer the country and that his perspective is really going to change the lives of working women."

With that statement, Obama unearthed an interesting point about female primary voters. Women as a whole have not consistently voted for Hillary Clinton throughout the Democratic primary season, and a recent poll reinforces the point that many women don't feel that in sharing a gender with the first formidable female candidate, they have to.

The poll, conducted as part of Lifetime television's "Every Woman Counts" campaign, asked whether women felt obligated to vote for Clinton because she was a woman. Twenty-two percent said yes, and out of that 22 percent, 17 percent said it was just a "small part" of why they would vote for her while 5 percent felt a stronger pull.

"You see a little bit of obligation but not a huge tug...the intensity is really lacking there," said Republican pollster Kellyanne Conway, who conducted the Lifetime poll alongside Democratic pollster Celinda Lake. "I think these women are looking at more than race and gender when looking at these candidates.,"

In the primaries thus far, Obama has won a higher percentage of female voters in more than a dozen contests, and when he's won the women, he's also taken the state. The fact that Obama has been able to gobble up a sizable portion of the women's vote doesn't surprise Michele Swers, an associate professor of government at Georgetown University, because each state has different demographics that help or hurt each candidate. In addition, some states hold primaries, which help Clinton, and others hold caucuses, which generally favor Obama.

What is substantial is how the women's vote has been broken down by age, with women over 50 consistently helping out Clinton and younger voters trending toward Obama. "These are the women who experienced the feminist movement the most concretely," said Swers, talking about the older female voters.

"When [Clinton] does well among women, that's when she's won; when [Obama]'s able to make inroads, that's when she's lost," Swers explained. Now that the primary battle has headed to Pennsylvania, it's in part becoming a battle of who can snatch up those women in the middle of the generational divide.

Before the recent "bitter" remarks--when Obama muttered that some small-town voters who were bitter over economic problems clung to guns and religion when heading to the polls--the Illinois senator was using his seven weeks' campaigning time in Pennsylvania and healthy finances to woo female voters partially through a heavy peppering of television commercials. One, called "Maya" after Obama's half-sister, shows Maya; his wife, Michelle; his grandmother, and his two daughters vouching for the Illinois senator. "Barack and I talk all the time about making sure that our girls can imagine any kind of world for themselves, with no barriers," says Michelle Obama in the TV spot. In another, Obama ties his mother's death to cancer with his plans for universal healthcare.

In a month, he has increased his support among Pennsylvania women, but he still trails Clinton by 9 points. Amid the scandal over the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's remarks, polls showed 20 percent of the Keystone State's women supporting Obama. More recently, he increased his share to 36 percent last week and 39 percent this week, according to polls conducted by Public Policy Polling. In the Lifetime poll, which represented all Pennsylvania women, not just likely Democratic voters, 34 percent said they supported Clinton, 29 percent Obama, and 20 percent McCain.

And also according to the Lifetime poll, Obama was making some progress nationally with women. Twenty-three percent of the women surveyed said they liked him more than they did at the beginning of the primaries, with 22 percent liking him less. Many of those who held a more negative opinion of the candidate offered his relationship with Wright as the reason. It's too early to see if the recent comments will cause the same reaction among women as Wright did. Clinton, on the other hand, saw a smaller percentage of women finding her more appealing since the beginning of the primaries.

But now, with the most recent campaign controversy still stirring, Obama must continue to make sure he grabs a significant swath of women in Pennsylvania. The polls so far haven't shown much of a negative impact. But while women may not feel obligated to vote for Clinton simply because she's a woman, they may vote for her if they feel she's more in touch with them.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Deanna Witmer
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 04:20:35 pm »

She can count me in as one of them. I prefer my leaders to be honest people who are interested in power for the sake of helping people, not for it's own sake.
Report Spam   Logged
Jasmine
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 05:41:56 pm »

Julia Louis-Dreyfus 

A Point of Clarification

Posted May 2, 2008 | 09:52 PM (EST)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently I was part of a group of women who filmed public service announcements for an organization called Women's Voices. Women Vote. The goal of the PSA campaign is to encourage high voter turn-out amongst women, especially single women, 20 million of whom have been known to stay home on Election Day. It is an issue about which I am deeply passionate. However, there have been reports about WVWV which questioned the intention behind my PSA and which candidate I am endorsing for president. For the record, I am proudly supporting Senator Barack Obama.

The news reports came about because there was evidence that an individual or a small group of individuals affiliated with WVWV may have issued misleading robo-calls in North Carolina designed to suppress voter turnout in African American neighborhoods. I find these activities appalling and hope WVWV will immediately disassociate themselves from such individuals and denounce such actions.

I am not affiliated with WVWV in any way other than participating in this PSA campaign, and I debated whether to ask WVWV to pull my PSA from their website. In the end, I realized the message of the PSA is more important than the actions of some its members. Every woman, 18 or older, should exercise their right to vote for the candidate and the issues they believe in. As women, we are a powerful voting block. But that does not mean we will automatically align with female candidates.

My spot was set in a replica of the Oval Office and entitled "Who Do You Want in Here?" This was meant as a legitimate question, not to serve as an endorsement for a particular candidate. The PSA was meant to inspire women to vote regardless of their party or their position. The PSA, like me, is not pro-Clinton, but rather pro-women. And yes, you can be both.

Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 04:20:38 pm »

She can count me in as one of them. I prefer my leaders to be honest people who are interested in power for the sake of helping people, not for it's own sake.

Yes especially after women have their new voting orders from Oprah.   Roll Eyes

Rather than reading the facts:

http://knowbeforeyouvote.com
Report Spam   Logged
Deanna Witmer
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:28:51 pm »

Women are smart enough to make up their minds on their own.  The mistake is in thinking that people ONLY vote on the basis of things like race or gender!

That would make us no better than the sexist/racists we are complaining about!   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 01:02:01 pm »

Women are smart enough to make up their minds on their own.  The mistake is in thinking that people ONLY vote on the basis of things like race or gender!

That would make us no better than the sexist/racists we are complaining about!   Smiley

Then prove it.

No woman here has ever posted anything that would be resume worthy to convince anybody that Obama is qualified to be President.  Considering many HR Departments are made up of women across America you'd think this would be a fairly simple task to fulfill here.

Yet none of Obama's credentials have ever been posted here other than what I have posted.

If http://knowbeforeyouvote.com is so biased then please by all means disprove the Obama record there.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: