Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 07:54:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists to drill beneath oceans
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,8063.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Western media are giving us a "lecture"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western media are giving us a "lecture"  (Read 43 times)
House of the Rising Sun

« on: April 29, 2008, 11:00:06 pm »

Western media are giving us a "lecture"
 + - 14:56, April 29, 2008

Western media have been giving us a "lecture" these days. On March 14, a serial criminal act of violence involving beating, destruction of property, looting and arson took place in Lhasa, and Western media have paid it an extraordinary attention. These media organs are, among others, AFP or Agence France Presse of France, RTL and NTL stations of Germany, the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) of Britain, and the "Washington Post" and CNN of the United States.

The masses of readers or viewers, nevertheless, can hardly understand these reports released at the great length: how can the obviously homicide and arson committed by a few law-breakers be cited as the "peaceful protests" and how can frenzied assaults lashed against law-enforcing personnel without hitting back when struck be said to suppress Tibetans by the Chinese government, and how the arrest of foreign protestors by police in a neighboring country be imposed on the "head" of Tibet?...

...What is even worse, CNN host Jack Cafferty maliciously attacked the Chinese products as "junk" and the Chinese people as the "basically the same bunch of goons and thugs they've been for the last 50 years". He is simply curses and swears in the way "like a shrew letting loose a stream of abuse in the street."

Therefore, ordinary people in China cannot stand any more what the Western media have been doing and, hence they quietly collect and sort out huge amounts of ironclad evidences and return with a forceful rebuttal and an exposure of Western media's false reports on the Internet. Meanwhile, nationals of the Chinese origin and the Chinese expatriates and students held mammoth but civic virtue protests and demonstrations in the U.S., Britain, Germany and France to lodge protests with the distorted reports of Western media.

Rebuttals given by Chinese netizens and protests by Chinese expatriates (and students) worldwide are unprecedented either in term of scale or in term of effect, which have far exceeded the expectations of cocky, arrogant media people in the West. So, I would very much like to raise two questions for people to ponder over for a long period of time.

First, how to recognize the press freedom of the West as well as the objectivity and fairness it has flaunted, and this poses a question of theory. People with a journalism career in the West have all along claimed that the West has press freedom whereas there is no such freedom in China; news coverage in the West underscores objectivity and fairness, whereas there is only propaganda or preaching in China. So, with the passage of time, some of my peers feel it difficult to be bold and confident with what they say. Theory should guide practice nevertheless.

In view of some Western mainstream media reports on the March 14 incident that occurred in Lhasa, evidently there is a world of difference between what they say and what they do, and is "press freedom" the "freedom to spread rumors", the "freedom to tell lies", the "freedom to make distortions " or the "freedom to "vilify" or "spread slanders". If news reports cannot respect basic facts, how can they talk glibly about "objectivity and fairness"?

Second, to compare China's news reports on a par with Western media reports, which are getting closer to the objective reality? And we often hear many friends from the West say what they see in China differs greatly from what they have read in media reports in their own countries. This is also the case of counter-evidence with some politicians in the West, who often attacked China during their election races, but they, as a matter of fact, get much closer to China once they are in power.

There is apparently a striking contrast in the reports of Western media and Chinese media on the March 14 Lhasa incident, and ours get much closer to the evidences. Hence, we have more reasons to say that China's media reports are much closer to the objective reality than those reports of the West, and this judgment is based entirely on facts.

As a one-time teacher of professional journalism at university, I used to try hard to enunciate on the subject, but I found it difficult to get it into depth, and also discovered most of my students had the poor, inadequate understanding in this regard. The reasons we learned from the Internet this time have even enabled commoners in China to acquire an in-depth understanding, let alone the students of journalism, and I indeed have a sense of joy from the bottom of my heart. This achievement, however, should be ascribed to some Western media, as they have given us a "lesson" with varied, lively and very incisive contents, and given us free of charge.

By People's Daily Online and its author is Shen Xinggeng, senior PD desk editor

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90780/91342/6401078.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

House of the Rising Sun

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:10:21 pm »

Comments:

Text Version
RSS Feeds
Newsletter 

What is Nancy Pelosi really up to? 
(People's Daily Online doesn't endorse or oppose opinions expressed by our visitors)
All 37 comments  All 2 pages 1/2
First    <<    1   2   >>    Last   Previous    Next  Page 

PD User at 2008-04-28 21:28:44   [Reply]  IP:70.148.191.★
Nancy Pelosi does not speak for the American people or our government. She is an accident and tragedy of American politics. Why doesn"t she go after Isreal for its cultural extermination of Palistine? She is just another American Liberal Idiot! As an American I apologize to the Chinese people for her thoughtless words. Hope we stay friends. See you in Beijing!

PD User at 2008-04-28 08:35:58   [Reply]  IP:4.247.251.★
Dear Editor of China Daily,
In the name of the Sino-American Field School of Archaeology, I protest against the slanderous statement of CNN, Pelosi, Hilary, abd Obama, which recently they made against the Chinese People. Especiallt Hillary who dear yt tell that the Chinese wirh rainte ddrugs killing us.
In the Summer of 1980, I arrived in China with an educational delegation. Since then every summer I am teaching in China for American and foreign students. (1) Chinese Cultural History, and (2... (More details.)

PD User  replied at  2008-04-28 20:23:25  IP:122.107.220.★
  I can say, you have a title and previlage to give some lectures, but,,,is your heart and moral obligation representing as THE REAL MIDDLE PERSON,?? OR YOU ARE IN GROUP OF IRRESPONSIBBLE PERSON; Make a statement so easy as a result many people in China, do you thing All Journalist in Bush and Tony Blair and Associet to destroyed Iraq against United Nation and Pope APPROVAL. So I hope sincerely, DO NOT PRETENDING YOU ARE WEARING SAFRON ROBE.I disagree!!. 

PD User at 2008-04-27 11:36:01   [Reply]  IP:24.197.123.★
Pelosi is really doing the US Govt"s bidding.Where executive branch dont want to rattle the feathers,democrats in congress do the bidding for them.US Media makes it look like an independant stance taken by democrats,but it is not.
Nancy Pelosi went to Syria(supposedly without permission from Bush administration).Really she went in with a message that Syria will be rewarded by Bush admin,if it makes a disconnect with Iran.But US media portrayed her as anti-bush.
Pelosi went to India to meet Tibet... (More details.)

PD User at 2008-04-24 05:21:53   [Reply]  IP:70.132.27.★
China"s continued support of N. Korea is peculiar. Better China should attack N. Korea and free people there, who really need it, than to attack Tibet and hold that nation hostage. Poor nation equal in value to N. Korea, can at least feed itself. China saves money with this plan and makes great friendship with scared S. Koreans and Japanese as well as USA.
Also, can China polease cease to do business with Bashir of Sudan (a mass murderer and genocidist), Mugabe of Africa, and Syria, and Iran... (More details.)

PD User at 2008-04-23 16:51:37   [Reply]  IP:202.37.68.★
A strong and united China is the strength of every individual Chinese, anywhere in the world. Stay united and repulse any attempt to create chaos and to break up the country.

PD User at 2008-04-23 13:24:09   [Reply]  IP:76.170.69.★
hmmm... censored again! Way to go, China!

PD User  replied at  2008-04-27 06:38:08  IP:69.236.110.★
  Americans are a bunch of god forsaken abominations of goons and thugs declaring war on the world, Osama Bin Laden is fighting for freedom in the Middle East, can"t wait until he goes nuclear on you hamburger eating overweight inbreeding trailer white trash scums. 

PD User at 2008-04-22 09:33:06   [Reply]  IP:128.218.228.★
Speaker Nancy Pelosi is great because by supporting Chinese human rights, she is actually Pro-China!

PD User  replied at  2008-04-22 16:05:48  IP:202.112.90.★
  I agree. Enough with all these nationalistic slogans talking about the "motherland", why don"t you try thinking for yourselves once in a wild.
There is a difference between insulting the Chinese government (which people have done) and insulting Chinese people.
You guys can all ready English, why don"t you try reading some real imported history books? 

PD User at 2008-04-20 21:10:07   [Reply]  IP:72.235.134.★
This blog censors peoples comments too. Awsome! Way to go China! Free speech is alive and well in the motherland!

PD User at 2008-04-20 21:09:08   [Reply]  IP:72.235.134.★
The USA should Boycott French goods with/and China.

PD User at 2008-04-20 15:17:49   [Reply]  IP:221.222.233.★
Although Nancy Pelosi holds a powerful position in the US government and is currently third in line to be President she is not representative of the feelings of most Americans. She represents only part of San Francisco. Many of the residents of San Francisco are of Chinese ancestry and fervently support the holding of the Olympics in China. Overall, most Americans like and admire China because China is a peaceful nation producing many of the things that Americans buy in their daily lives. May C... (More details.)

PD User  replied at  2008-04-29 09:13:32  IP:65.6.10.★
  you"ve got to be kidding me, what part of the US are you in? Where I live we will go for something made in Japan, Korea, even India any day before Made in China if at all possible! 

PD User at 2008-04-18 19:37:30   [Reply]  IP:202.156.10.★
I was going to watch the movie "the forbidden kingdom,but then I read somewhere that jet li is a tibetan buddhist and and have even met the lama,I suddenly lost interest in wasting my money,even though I like Jacky Chan.

PD User  replied at  2008-04-23 06:59:54  IP:66.188.253.★
  So just because Jet Li has met the Dalia Lahma he us a bad actor? I mean a person"s personal belief does not after their skills as a person. 

PD User at 2008-04-18 15:45:45   [Reply]  IP:123.136.101.★
I do not condone the terrorists, anymore then I condone the murder of innocent civilians. I can say that the rest of the world *IS* portraying the USA as a bully, but conversely, it"s the USA that is feeding this image. The invasion of Iraq that has claimed the lifes of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians give the world the impression that the only change in the USA since Washington died has been the passage of years.
If the USA honestly wants to be seen as a modern and respectable wor... (More details.)

PD User at 2008-04-17 23:24:41   [Reply]  IP:222.240.219.★
There is simply no sense talking to such a die-hard idiot as Nancy Pelosi. Her arrogant ignorance simply astounded me. The only good thing about her is that she has made us Chinese fully understand why we must be strong, why we must work hard and why we need to love our motherland more!

PD User  replied at  2008-04-19 11:08:32  IP:165.21.155.★
  There is only one way in which the west will repect China ie to be economical powerful like Japan. In this respect, China should slowly reduce its large US dollars and Euro holdings and replace it with Gold and silver. Why do think the US hold Gold and continue to print paper more useless paper money to buy chinese goods? why dont they sell their gold? Do you know that the US has a National debt of 60 Triilion US dollars. Why do you think the Japanese hold so much gold? Why do you think the U... (More details.) 

PD User at 2008-04-17 10:44:51   [Reply]  IP:70.153.193.★
Pelosi is all about Pelosi. She servies only herself with no respect for others. A lost soul. Joseph Baxter America.

PD User at 2008-04-16 03:26:51   [Reply]  IP:64.149.141.★
I would not pay too much attention to what Ms Pelosi has to say. It seems she rarely speaks for any one in her political party with the exception of those on the far left.

PD User at 2008-04-16 01:59:21   [Reply]  IP:202.156.11.★
Nancy Pelosi is certainly up to no good. A person of her quality elected to such an office is a big joke. It shows that the quality of leaders that is leading America. I have no respect to such a person.

PD User  replied at  2008-04-16 13:22:30  IP:222.20.40.★
  I have no respect to such a person???what"s more, I curse such an old ugly witch to die with no whole body! 

PD User at 2008-04-15 14:55:11   [Reply]  IP:96.224.104.★
China must do boycott and don"t do business with US politians(Nancy Pelosi,current Washington state governer,current seattle mayor,some foreign media,some US Universities(university of Washington state), Hollywood movie stars and people who support and bias to Dalai lama .

PD User at 2008-04-15 14:54:29   [Reply]  IP:96.224.104.★
China must do boycott and don"t do business with US politians(Nancy Pelosi,current Washington state governer,current seattle mayor,some US Universities(university of Washington state), Hollywood movie stars and people who support and bias to Dalai lama .

PD User at 2008-04-15 14:18:12   [Reply]  IP:124.184.43.★
I strongly agree with this writer"s comments.
China must react quickly and agressively.Most if not all these commentators are ignorant about the history and culture of Tibet.And how Yibet come into being
Facts,figures, and other detils must be splashed world wide through professional public relations companies. Hit them hard especially CNN with factual releases every day.
Get eloquent English speakers to inform and correct every day.

PD User at 2008-04-15 00:09:57   [Reply]  IP:202.156.11.★
Once in a long while in History you get an anti Chinese Like Pelosi who have never experience spritual beings and culture. So, when she met the Delai Lama her feet got sweep off and she is drowned by an usual human beings in saffron robes. She went under her magical spell and is not in her usual sanity. A person of her standing suddenly became an illiterate and no history of what the Delai Lama came from. To her from heaven. So, to her just look down on her as a piece of **** garbage.

http://posts.people.com.cn/bbs_new/filepool/htdoc/html/245f97bd1d7f020edf62650e0c19774969faf951/b3311496/l_3311496_1.html
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: