Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 07:28:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists to drill beneath oceans
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,8063.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

THE GOTCHA DEBATE

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE GOTCHA DEBATE  (Read 217 times)
Monique Faulkner
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 12:01:49 pm »

Yesterday, Bill Clinton also called Obama's reaction, "whining," and claimed they never did anything of the sort.

I really like how shameless the Clinton campaign can be!  They have done nothing but complain about the way Hillary has been treated in the press, complained at the debates about always getting the first question, even made light of an SNL sketch at one of the other debates and they now say they have never whined about anything?

Gimme a break!

All they have done is complain about the way they have been treated.  Hillary even had an ad produced last winter called, "Piling on," wherein she complained about the way everyone was ganging up on her. 
Report Spam   Logged
Monique Faulkner
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 12:07:25 pm »

Greg Mitchell

The ABC Debate: A Shameful Night for the U.S. Media

In perhaps the most embarrassing performance by the media in a major presidential debate in years, ABC News hosts Charles Gibson and George Stephanopoulos focused mainly on trivial issues as Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama faced off in Philadelphia. They, and their network, should hang their collective heads in shame.
Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the health care and mortgage crises, the overall state of the economy and dozens of other pressing issues had to wait for their few moments in the sun as Obama was pressed to explain his recent "bitter" gaffe and relationship with Rev. Wright (seemingly a dead issue) and not wearing a flag pin -- while Clinton had to answer again for her Bosnia trip exaggerations.
Then it was back to Obama to defend his slim association with a former '60s radical -- a question that came out of right-wing talk radio and Sean Hannity on TV, but was delivered by former Bill Clinton aide Stephanopoulos. This approach led to a claim that Clinton's husband pardoned two other '60s radicals. And so on. The travesty continued.
More time was spent on all of this than segments on getting out of Iraq and keeping people from losing their homes and -- you name it. Gibson only got excited complaining that someone might raise his capital gains tax. Yet neither candidate had the courage to ask the moderators to turn to those far more important issues. Talking heads on other networks followed up by not pressing that point either. The crowd booed Gibson near the end. Why didn't every other responsible journalist on TV?
To top it off, here is David Brooks' review at the New York Times: "I thought the questions were excellent." He gives ABC an "A." Of course, "A" can stand for many things.
Read more reactions from Huffington Post bloggers to ABC's Pennsylvania Democratic debate
Greg Mitchell is author of the new book, So Wrong for So Long: How the Press, the Pundits -- and the President -- Failed on Iraq. It has been hailed by Bill Moyers, Glenn Greenwald, Arianna Huffington and many others and features a preface by Bruce Springsteen. Mitchell is editor of Editor & Publisher. Email: gmitchell@editorandpublisher.com.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-mitchell/the-debate-a-shameful-nig_b_97122.html
Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 12:35:56 pm »

I was surprised that the other networks didn't lambaste ABC for this tabloid-style debate, but I suppose birds of a feather ...

The truth, in my opinion, is that there have been far too many debates, and we haven't even completed the nomination process yet.  The candidates keep getting asked the same old questions, and they keep giving the same answers that they gave in previous debates and to the press.  What else can they do?

It was probably Hillary who insisted on so many debates, but in the long run it has helped Barack because the voters had a chance to get to know him, and they liked what they saw.  It also allowed all of these issued to be thoroughly vetted well in advance of the general election.  Obama is now eager to debate John McCain, and I think he will do well after all of this experience with the kitchen-sink strategy.

Report Spam   Logged
Adrienne
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 03:12:58 pm »

Tom, other networks and pundits aren't going to lambast ABC cause they are used to the same old politics!  People are concerned with bigger issues this year and rightfully see issues like flagpins as unimportant!
Report Spam   Logged

"In a monarchy, the king is law, in a democracy, the law is king."
-Thomas Paine
Deanna Witmer
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 03:40:01 pm »

I was surprised that the other networks didn't lambaste ABC for this tabloid-style debate, but I suppose birds of a feather ...

The truth, in my opinion, is that there have been far too many debates, and we haven't even completed the nomination process yet.  The candidates keep getting asked the same old questions, and they keep giving the same answers that they gave in previous debates and to the press.  What else can they do?

It was probably Hillary who insisted on so many debates, but in the long run it has helped Barack because the voters had a chance to get to know him, and they liked what they saw.  It also allowed all of these issued to be thoroughly vetted well in advance of the general election.  Obama is now eager to debate John McCain, and I think he will do well after all of this experience with the kitchen-sink strategy.

Hillary wanted to have even more debates!  There was supposed to be one be one before North Carolina, too, but I guess it's been canceled! 

There have been too many debates, the next debate I want to see would be Barack against McCain, and I expect Barack to wipe the floor with him.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2008, 03:05:46 am »

Way to go Joan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: