Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:03:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FARMING FROM 6,000 YEARS AGO
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156622&command=displayContent&sourceNode=156618&contentPK=18789712&folderPk=87030

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Herein lie the "Lost" Boreas Files by Rockessence

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Herein lie the "Lost" Boreas Files by Rockessence  (Read 17596 times)
Janna Britton

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2008, 03:10:56 am »

Boreas
Member posted 03-16-2004 19:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI Faravid,
I think you are pretty close to a lot of essential questions to ask - if we are to figure out the real and true relevance of the ancient Eur-asian traditions, legends and myhologies.
In the midle of the old, arctic world we still find Finland in the geographical, etnological and linguistical centre. It may even seem logic that Finland - both historically as today - have defined and connected the "far east" with "the way west". Still we may find the famous "Blueroad" ("Sininen Intje") crossing Fenno-Scandia, from Helsinki to westcoast Norway...
It may be as logic that this very Finish "sub-continent" have been the very centre of the old, original arctic population. And there is no doubt that both Anglo-Saxon, Frankish, Celtic, Roman, Greek, Arabic AND Norse legends are all mentioning, if not pointing to the northernmost lands, as a place of cultural significance.
Thus it is very funny how Finnish historians still insist that their own ancestors "actually" where pretty savage and uncivilized, with no clue about the culture of their imediate surroundings. Not long ago the high-school graduate had to know that "Finland, during the Viking-time was a "dark corner of Scandinavia"", where; "The population had only simple, occasional setlements and survived by moving after their main prey-animals..."
I could undestand if the Swedes - always competing their eastern neighbours - in a sudden attack of cheuvinism could have created such a stigmatized picture of the ancient Finn. Unfortunately - it is more serious than that.

This stigmata once originated by a hostile, Catholic conqueror, arriving between 1050 and 1250, as the regin of Finland finally gave up to Rome, as the last "headon" (read; "free" or "independent") kingdom in all of Eurasia. From that time on both the Norse and the Finnish cultures - and their history - got heavily stigmatized, distorted and destructed, - to be exchanged with black Roman collars, latin monoteism and a harshly disiplining, emperial rule introducing common, annual tax...

Today - soon 500 years after the rennesaince and the reformation - one could expect that also Finnish Historians had discovered the rich legacy of Finish archaeology to imply a new and different view on these basic views on their very own roots.

But - unlike other Nordic countries - it doesnt seem that the Finish historians are willing to make the effort and do the (intelectual) work neccesary to review the old, stigamtic pictures of themselves, i.e. their own history.
I do understand that it may be uncomfortable to change ones mind. I may even understand that it may be discomforting to change anything at all. But - I have also experienced the end result of an intelectual and communicative stand-still. We may call that shere idiosyncracy, i.e. stupidity.

So - Farvid, until Finnsih academia cares to investigate this saga-material or the archaeological evidences, - we may just wonder; If "stupidty" is a sign of lazyness or fear, what may the sisu-expression "idiotic stupidity" imply?
And, by the way, which of theese to conditions would be the most Finnish...?

Best regards!

IP: 195.159.184.246

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: