Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:57:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Towering Ancient Tsunami Devastated the Mediterranean
http://www.livescience.com/environment/061130_ancient_tsunami.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the Emerald Tablet of Thoth (Original Version)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Emerald Tablet of Thoth (Original Version)  (Read 19801 times)
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2008, 08:57:25 pm »

Psycho

Member # 2035

posted 11-03-2004 08:07 AM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a shot in the dark here, but who says the emerald tablet had to be made of real emerald? I'm thinking "vitified green rock" of the type that has been seen often in Egypt. When they say "emerald" they don't mean a gem, they mean the color. Clear on that, Peter?
As for Egyptology being a science, well, that is a much beaten path down this forum. It's been my experience anyway, that Egyptologists leap to too many conclusions in the effort to explain everything away. It may be a science, but it is hardly an exact science.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2008, 08:59:33 pm »

rockessence

Member # 1839

Member Rated:
   posted 11-03-2004 10:20 AM                       
Psycho,
As I illustrated above.
Posts: 3128 | From: Port Townsend WA | Registered: Feb 2004   
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2008, 09:00:16 pm »

Absonite

Member # 1766

posted 11-03-2004 01:07 PM                       
psycho,
i think you hit the emerald right on it's flaw. Green tablets will do just fine.

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2008, 09:00:58 pm »

Psycho

Member # 2035

posted 11-03-2004 04:23 PM                       
So true, Rockessence & Absonite. Peter, we'll all be awaiting our apologies now.
Critical thinking. You really need to use it.

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2008, 09:02:15 pm »

Brig

Administrator
Member # 802

posted 11-03-2004 04:43 PM                       
Again Peter, I agree the Emerald tablets are bunk. But I still insist that somewhere in this cavern I have a book, in a serious vein, on Emeralds that specifically details an Egyptian mine. The quality of the crystals was low by todays standards but to what would these ancient miners compare them? I don't think you made any attempt to see for yourself. You're just so cocksure of yourself. Perhaps, if I get motivated, I'll take a couple of hours and see if I can find the book.
Posts: 10609 | From: Old Washington, Ohio , USA | Registered: Apr 2002   

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2008, 09:02:50 pm »

Absonite

Member # 1766

posted 11-03-2004 05:20 PM                       
Peter,
if Brig agrees with you it is a sure sign that you are wrong. He likes that I agree thingy as if it means something. Do you wonder who he voted for?

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2008, 09:04:01 pm »

Dawn Moline

Member # 2173

Member Rated:
   posted 11-03-2004 10:24 PM                       
The point about the vitrified rock might be a valid one. Here is a quote from this http://www.alchemylab.com/hyper_history.htm website concerning a description of the tabletsL

quote:
Probably the only constant in all these legends is what the Emerald Tablet looked like. It is always described as a rectangular green plaque with bas-relief lettering in a strange alphabet similar to ancient Phoenician. It is made of emerald or green crystal, and the workmanship is exquisite. Caves, corpses, ancient Egypt, and secret wisdom are common themes in many of the stories.

Point being, it was probably made of vitrified rock or shale as opposed to an actual emerald. Concerning the date it was found:

quote:
Occult historians generally agree that the tablet was found in a secret chamber under the pyramid of Cheops around 1350 BC. Another interesting legend describes Hermes as a philosopher traveling in Ceylon in the fifth century BC. He found the Emerald Tablet hidden in a cave, and after studying it, learned how to "travel in both heaven and earth." This Hermes spent the rest of his life wandering throughout Asia and the Middle East teaching and healing. Oddly, the Hindu sacred book Mahanirvanatantra states that Hermes was the same person as Buddha, and each is referred to as the "Son of the Moon" in other Hindu religious texts.

Give the "occult historian" reference, the exact circumstances might be suspect. There was one last interesting passage on this page that I thought more useful:

quote:
However, the question still remains: Who really wrote the Emerald Tablet and when? New evidence started to turn up in the late nineteenth century, when new discoveries about Egypt and the deciphering of hieroglyphics suggested that the principles exposed in the tablet go back at least 5,000 years. Some scholars suggested the date of origin for the Emerald Tablet to be around 3000 BC, when the Phoenicians settled on the Syrian coast. Phrases from the tablet, including references to the One Mind, the One Thing, and the correspondences between the Above and the Below, were discovered in many Egyptian papyrii, such as Papyrus of Ani and the Book of the Dead (1500 BC), the Berlin Papyrus (2000 BC), and other scrolls dating between 1000 and 300 BC. One early Hellenistic papyrus known as An Invocation to Hermes might refer directly to the Emerald Tablet and its author: "I know your names in the Egyptian tongue," it reads, "and your true name as it is written on the Holy Tablet in the holy place at Hermopolis, where you did have your birth."

Hope that was of some help, Veronica, alchemylab is the most down to earth reference I have seen on the subject.

Posts: 446 | From: citizen of the world | Registered: Oct 2004   
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »

cleasterwood

Member # 1620

Member Rated:
   posted 11-04-2004 04:48 AM                       
I hate it when people think they know everything. Peter, I'm pretty sure the three ENCYCLOPEDIAS wouldn't lie, so here is your PROOF of emerald production in Ancient Egypt as far back as 2000 BC. Take this to the Critical thinking bank and ponder it! Seems like we're not the only ones who really need to use it.
1.In ancient Egypt, emeralds were mined close to the Red Sea. This tranquil green gem was highly prized by the wealthy and the priest craft. The high cost made it far beyond the average Egyptian's pocketbook.
It's said that Isis wore a green emerald—all who looked upon it were guaranteed a safe trip through the land of the dead.

2. The green form of beryl, emerald, is a precious stone, and has been valuable for a long time. .They were mined and worked in Upper Egypt for the second millennium BC until until 1370. Both India and Europe got all their emeralds from Egypt in ancient times.

3. ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITTANICA--The ancients appear to have obtained emeralds from Upper Egypt, where it is said to have been worked as early as 2000 BC.

4.Emeralds--in fact--date back to ancient Egypt and Pharaonic times. Indian sources of emeralds were--as were the Egyptian sources--of poor quality.

5. THE COLOMBIA ENCYCLOPEDIA-the green variety of beryl, of which aquamarine is the blue variety. Chemically, it is a beryllium-aluminum silicate whose color is due to small quantities of chromium compounds. The emerald was highly esteemed in antiquity; the stones were used for ornaments in early Egypt where some of the first emeralds were mined.
The first to mine emeralds, interesting.

6. Emeralds are the premier gems in the beryl family. For more than 4,000 years, emeralds have been among the most valuable of all jewels. In one of the rare cases where lore and fact coincide, emerald history really does begin in Egypt, where there actually was a "Cleopatra's Mine." Mining in the desert south of Cairo near the Aswan Dam began before 2000 B.C. and continued until about 1200 A.D. Although emeralds were extracted for 2000 years before Cleopatra was born, her use and love of gems led to her name being attached to the mine, an association that remains. Egypt supplied the known world with emeralds throughout the Biblical period and through the Middle Ages. But most of the stones, as you see in numerous examples in Fred Ward's book on emeralds, would barely be classified as gems today.

7. ENCYCLOPEDIA OF GEMSTONES- From the stone history: The ancients appear to have obtained emeralds from Upper Egypt, where it is said to have been worked as early as 2000 BC, during the life of Pharaoh Sesostris III.

I TRIED AND I FOUND IT! Wasn't too hard either all you have to do is type in Egypt Emeralds and poof.... a lode of sites pop right up 12,800 to be exact! I tend to believe the Encyclopedias more than I believe someone who didn't do their homework before opening mouth when they should have inserted foot instead. Geesh. Do you need any more proof?

[This message has been edited by cleasterwood (edited 11-04-2004).]

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »

rockessence

Member # 1839

Member Rated:
   posted 11-04-2004 10:43 AM                       
And of course, the gem emerald is small, and tablets are large. Malachite makes beautiful slabs.
All this of course, does not prove the validity of the tablets themselves.

C.L.:
Surely you won't insist that something is true because it is published as fact in encyclopaedias?
Too many words have been sadly swallowed in the past decades.

[This message has been edited by rockessence (edited 11-04-2004).]

Posts: 3128 | From: Port Townsend WA | Registered: Feb 2004 
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2008, 09:10:34 pm »

Peter V

Member # 71

Member Rated:
   posted 11-04-2004 11:03 AM                       
Can anyone find a single reference to an artifact coming from ancient Egypt made from actual emerald?
What evidence exists suggusting the tablet of thoth is a historical artifact?

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2008, 09:13:53 pm »

Brig

Administrator
Member # 802

posted 11-04-2004 06:36 PM                       
Absonite, Peter and I only agree upon occassion. But you must be the only person in this forum who doesn't know that I voted for Bush. Now even you know. Uh oh, theres even been a couple of times that you and I have agreed. Scarey, isn't it? Peter, the emerald tablets are a myth; and from what I can find, a relatively recent myth; first surfacing just after WW2.
Posts: 10609 | From: Old Washington, Ohio , USA | Registered: Apr 2002   
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2008, 09:14:59 pm »

johnee

Member # 1580

posted 11-04-2004 09:54 PM                       
How much steak is in the bible?
Learn to spell wag, it’s the tail of the uRantia "lavatory papers", these are sure to be trusted for this materials quality and value if you are given the adjusted thinking of one of ‘their’ group.

Flaming is the practice of posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting to a discussion board on the Internet, such messages are called flames.
A flame may have elements of a normal message, but is distinguished by its intent.
A flame is never intended to be constructive, to further clarify a discussion, or to persuade other people. The motive for flaming is never dialectic but rather social or psychological, flamers are attempting to assert their authority, or establish a position of superiority.

Occasionally, flamers merely wish to upset and offend other members of the forum, in which case they are trolls, this is an Internet slang term used to describe a person who makes posts on a forum that are solely intended to incite controversy or conflict, or cause annoyance or offence.
A post that is intended to incite controversy or cause offence is also called a troll.

To some, the term has negative connotations and is often applied as an insult, while simultaneously being claimed as a badge of honour by a troll, or troll organisations or gang a group of internet trolls, who associate together, share ideas and resources, and may act in a concerted manner. This is difficult, as trolls often object ideologically to organised structures and co-operation, and disapprove of agreeing with anyone.
Sincere but controversial or naive posters are often labelled as trolls, but the term, is generally considered to be correctly applied only to those looking to provoke outrage or discord.

A troll's reactions to being identified as a troll can vary widely depending on the forum in which the exchange takes place. Any person unjustly accused of being a troll may be hurt and express indignation. A troll will sometimes react with verbal abuse, raising the stakes with inflammatory remarks maligning the motivation of the accuser.

Trolling is often described as an online version of the breaching experiment where social psychology seeks to examine peoples' reactions to violations of commonly accepted social boundaries and rules of etiquette.

Now I am sure that you know I know you know this.
So consider this your first warning. 
Three strikes and you get spammed with immorality rings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming

Anyhow back to finding an emerald big enough to record the wisdom of what’s ’is name.

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2008, 09:16:17 pm »

cleasterwood

Member # 1620

Member Rated:
   posted 11-05-2004 04:25 AM                       
Rock,
You are correct, I should not insist that encyclopedia entries are accurate. However, for the sake of this arguement, they are only because Gemologists agree and what do they have to lose? Nothing. Regardless of what the Emerald Tablets are made of, they are green or emerald in color.
Peter,
If there is one, I'll find it. Guaranteed. But let me ask you this, What evidence suggests they aren't a historical artifact? It works both ways? It's merely a matter of faith.

Via Mars,
To me the Bible isn't anything more than a male dominated historical recount of a group of people with some added content to make others in a barbaric era with little to do follow its 'laws' and find what they deem God to be, thereby finding spirituality. Next thing you know, we'll be arguing whether the Mahabarata and other ancient religious texts are fiction. I mean after all, they have UFO references in them, even the Bible. Most 'religious' texts do though.

John,
It is STAKE not steak. You need to buy a dictionary. Steak is meat and stake means 'put at risk or place a bet on'. Don't be a troll. Oh, and troll is also a fishing term as is trolling for dolphin. For someone speaking of flaming, you're doing a good job of it by calling people 'wags'. Don't point the finger if you resemble the remark.

Besides, this shouldn't be an arguement over whether they are real or fake or emeralds not existing in Egypt. Also, who says Thoth got the 'Emeralds' from Egypt? He does state after all that he is Thoth the Atlantean, not Thoth the Egyptian. Perhaps they were written in a different location. We should be analyzing the content to see if there is any 'enlightenment' which we can gain from it. Real or Fake, what does it matter? Not much really. What is most important is does its words hold value, are they merely jargon, or do they have a deeper meaning which will bring our souls closer to the creator?

<b>Just remember this: Every myth has a basis of some truth to it.</b>

Prime Example: Troy was thought to be myth until someone found it.

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2008, 09:17:31 pm »

johnee

Member # 1580

posted 11-05-2004 05:01 AM                       
Thanks cl., I stand corrected. Good point about Thoth being in this case an Atlantean.
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2008, 09:18:17 pm »

Absonite

Member # 1766

posted 11-05-2004 05:47 AM                       
CL
nice thinking.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: