Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 06:36:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Has the Location of the Center City of Atlantis Been Identified?
http://www.mysterious-america.net/hasatlantisbeenf.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the Emerald Tablet of Thoth (Original Version)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Emerald Tablet of Thoth (Original Version)  (Read 19783 times)
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: April 15, 2008, 01:36:08 am »

My very first post at AR:

Veronica Poe

Member # 2172

posted 10-28-2004 11:27 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings, fellow Atlanteans. I am a college student working on a paper on Egypt and wonder if any of you could enlighten me about the emerald tablets. In the prose, of course, Thoth claims to be an Atlantean and that he ruled Egypt for some 16,000 years. In what year was this tablet first uncovered and do Egyptologists consider it an authentic source?
The Internet seems to be quite vague on such details. Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forums.atlantisrising.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000474#000000
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 06:13:22 pm »

I remember this one as well. Wow it's refreshing to see so many of the old topics.

Ian Nottingham has an extremely interesting insight that I feel is connected to this one.
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,8730.msg76614.html#new

Connecting Egypt to Atlantis til now has been discussed but usually fell under the lines of Myths and stories.
Ian made the point that Atlantis was actually known to Egyptians before Greeks. Temple Of Neith
He then Asked, "shouldn't we be looking in Egypt?"

For me, this makes alot of sence considering............

All things aside It's nice to see you again Veronica. Some of these subjects that you all have been recovering are some of my favorites.
Report Spam   Logged

HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 06:18:43 pm »

The Emerald Tablet is one of the most revered documents in the Western World, and its Egyptian author, Hermes Trismegistus, has become synonymous with ancient wisdom. His tablet contains an extremely succinct summary of what Aldous Huxley dubbed the "Perennial Philosophy," a timeless science of soul that keeps popping up despite centuries of effort to suppress it. The basic idea is that there exists a divine or archetypal level of mind that determines physical reality, and individuals can access that realm through direct knowledge of God.

The teachings of Hermes -- the Hermetic tradition -- is one of the oldest spiritual traditions in the world, and while no direct evidence links the Emerald Tablet to Eastern religions, it shares uncanny similarities in concepts and terminology with Taoism, Hinduism, and Buddhism. In the West, the tablet found a home not only in the pagan tradition but also in all three of the orthodox Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam), and many of the most heretical beliefs of the Gnostics are also openly expressed in it. Like the authors of the tablet, the Gnostics believed that direct knowledge of reality could be attained through psychological discipline and meditative exercises. They also shared a common view of the universe in which "All Is One," a pattern of creation and decay symbolized by the Ouroboros (the snake eating its own tail).

Without doubt, the Emerald Tablet was the inspiration behind many other esoteric traditions, including over 1,700 years of alchemy. Most medieval alchemists hung a copy of the tablet on their laboratory wall and constantly referred to the "secret formula" it contained. In fact, during the sixteenth century, Hermes Trismegistus was such a revered figure that there was a movement to have his teachings replace those of Aristotle in European schools.

Five hundred years later, the tablet's words are still held in the highest regard. "The Emerald Tablet is the cryptic epitome of the alchemical opus," noted Jungian analyst Dr. Edward Edinger, "a recipe for the second creation of the world." Ethnobotanist and consciousness guru Terence McKenna agrees, calling the tablet "a formula for a holographic matrix" that is mirrored in the human mind and offers mankind its only hope for future survival. "Whatever one chooses to believe about it," sums up John Matthews in The Western Way (Penguin 1997), "there is no getting away from the fact that the Emerald Tablet is one of the most profound and important documents to have come down to us. It has been said more than once that it contains the sum of all knowledge -- for those able to understand it."

However, there is one nagging problem with the Emerald Tablet: Nobody seems to know for sure where it came from, or who really wrote it.

Timeless Myths and Church Politics

Part of the problem trying to figure out the origins of the Emerald Tablet comes from the many legends that cloud its history. In one of the earliest of these fabled scenarios, Hermes was a son of Adam and wrote the tablet to show mankind how to redeem itself from his father's sins in the Garden of Eden. Jewish mystics identify the tablet's author with Seth, who was the second son of Adam. They credit him with writing the Emerald Tablet, which was taken aboard the ark by Noah. After the Flood, Noah supposedly hid the tablet in a cave near Hebron, where it was later discovered by Sarah, wife of Abraham. Another version describes Hermes giving the tablet to Miriam, daughter of Moses, for safekeeping. She allegedly put it in the Ark of the Covenant, where it remains to this day. Occult historians generally agree that the tablet was found in a secret chamber under the pyramid of Cheops around 1350 BC. Another interesting legend describes Hermes as a philosopher traveling in Ceylon in the fifth century BC. He found the Emerald Tablet hidden in a cave, and after studying it, learned how to "travel in both heaven and earth." This Hermes spent the rest of his life wandering throughout Asia and the Middle East teaching and healing. Oddly, the Hindu sacred book Mahanirvanatantra states that Hermes was the same person as Buddha, and each is referred to as the "Son of the Moon" in other Hindu religious texts.

Probably the only constant in all these legends is what the Emerald Tablet looked like. It is always described as a rectangular green plaque with bas-relief lettering in a strange alphabet similar to ancient Phoenician. It is made of emerald or green crystal, and the workmanship is exquisite. Caves, corpses, ancient Egypt, and secret wisdom are common themes in many of the stories.

The history of the tablet was further complicated when its alleged author became associated with the Corpus Hermeticum in the Middle Ages. The seventeen treatises of the Corpus expand on the principles of the Emerald Tablet and appear to be records of intimate conversations between Hermes and his disciples. For over three centuries, they were thought by the Catholic Church to be very ancient and held in the highest esteem. The church fathers believed the Corpus Hermeticum lent support to Christian doctrines, and the documents were required reading for European scholars. Images of Hermes adorned cathedrals all over Europe, and to this day, a giant fresco dominates the Borgia Apartments of the Vatican that shows Hermes, adorned with Hermetic symbols, walking in the company of Moses.

http://www.alchemylab.com/hyper_history.htm

A link that was at the time posted by Dawn.
Report Spam   Logged

Mario Dantas
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 05:44:15 pm »

http://members.tripod.com/obeliscos_egipcios/toth_en.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 04:56:28 pm »

I remember this one as well. Wow it's refreshing to see so many of the old topics.

Ian Nottingham has an extremely interesting insight that I feel is connected to this one.
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,8730.msg76614.html#new

Connecting Egypt to Atlantis til now has been discussed but usually fell under the lines of Myths and stories.
Ian made the point that Atlantis was actually known to Egyptians before Greeks. Temple Of Neith
He then Asked, "shouldn't we be looking in Egypt?"

For me, this makes alot of sence considering............

All things aside It's nice to see you again Veronica. Some of these subjects that you all have been recovering are some of my favorites.

Thanks Herefornow, it is good to "see" you again, too.  This was actually my first ever topic over at AR - both Dawn and I started out in the Egypt section before moving to Ancient Mysteries.

The Emerald Tablet, if authentic, would be proof positive of the original Egyptian gods heralding from Atlantis.  Thing is, I can't find any ofr the so-called "experts" to state that it is actually authentic.  Witness how skeptical Egyptologist Peter V is when he gets going in this discussion later.

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 04:58:07 pm »

Thanks for the link, Mario.

The Prophecy of Toth

Do you ignore, oh Asclepios, that Egypt is the image of the heavens and is the projection, here down, of the order that reigns in the celestial things?

Nevertheless, it is necessary that you know:

A time will come in which it will seem that the Egyptians in vain observed the cult of the Gods with as much mercy and that all the invocations will have been sterile and unheared.

The divinity will leave the Earth and return to the sky, leaving Egypt, its old one dwelled; then this earth sanctified by so many chapels and temples will see cover of tombs and deads.

This land, that was a spiritual teacher to all humankind, wich loved the Gods with such devotion, that They deigned to sojourn here on earth. This land will exceed all others in cruelty. The dead will far outnumber the living, and the survivors will known as Egyptians by their language alone, for in their actions they will be like men of another race.

!Oh Egypt, Egypt!

It will not be more of your religion than vague stories than the posterity no longer will believe and words recorded on the stone narrating your mercy.

Every sacred voice will be silenced. Darkness will be preferred to light. No eyes will raise to heaven. The pure will be thought insane and the impure will be honoured as wise. The madman will be believed brave, and the wicked esteemed as good. Knowledge of the immortal soul will be laughed at and denied.

For that reason I, Hermes Trismegisto, the first of men to attain All-Knowledge, have inscribed the secrets of the gods, in sacred symbols (hieroglyphcs) on these stone tablets, which I have concealed for a future world that may seek our sacred wisdom.

Hermes Trismegisto

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 04:59:00 pm by Veronica Poe » Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 05:01:32 pm »

And here is the tablet in all it's glory:

Tablet I: The History of Thoth, The Atlantean

I, THOTH, the Atlantean, master of mysteries, keeper of records, mighty king, magician, living from generation to generation, being about to pass into the halls of Amenti, set down for the guidance of those that are to come after, these records of the mighty wisdom of Great Atlantis.

In the great city of KEOR on the island of UNDAL in a time far past, I began this incarnation. Not as the little men of the present age did the mighty ones of Atlantis live and die, but rather from aeon to aeon did they renew their life in the Halls of Amenti where the river of life flows eternally onward.

A hundred times ten have I descended the dark way that led into light, and as many times have I ascended from the darkness into the light my strength and power renewed.

Nor for a time I descend, and the men of KHEM (Khem is ancient Egypt) shall know me no more. But in a time yet unborn will I rise again, mighty and potent, requiring an accounting of those left behind me. Then beware, O men of KHEM, if ye have falsely betrayed my teaching, for I shall cast ye down from your high estate into the darkness of the caves from when ye came. Betray not my secrets to the men of the North or the men of the South lest my curse fall upon ye. Remember and heed my words, for surely will I return again and require of thee that which ye guard. Aye, even from beyond time and from beyond death will I return, rewarding or punishing as ye have requited your truest. Great were my people in the ancient days, great beyond the conception of the little people now around me; knowing the wisdom of old, seeking far within the heart of infinity knowledge that belonged to Earth’s youth. Wise were we with the wisdom of the Children of Light who dwelt among us. Strong were we with the power drawn from the eternal fire. And of all these, greatest among the children of men was my father, THOTME, keeper of the great temple, link between the Children of Light who dwelt within the temple and the races of men who inhabited the ten islands. Mouthpiece, after the Three, of the Dweller of UNAL, speaking to the Kings with the voice that must be obeyed.

Grew I there from a child into manhood, being taught by my father the elder mysteries, until in time there grew within the fire of wisdom, until it burst into a consuming flame. Naught desired I but the attainment of wisdom. Until on a great day the command came from the Dweller of the Temple that I be brought before him. Few there were among the children of men who had looked upon that mighty face and lived, for not as the sons of men are the Children of Light when they are not incarnate in a physical body.

Chosen was I from the sons of men, taught by the Dweller so that his purposes might be fulfilled, purposes yet unborn in the womb of time. Long ages I dwelt in the Temple, learning ever and yet ever more wisdom, until I, too, approached the light emitted from the great fire. Taught me he, the path to Amenti, the underworld where the great king sits upon his throne of might. Deep I bowed in homage before the Lords of Life and the Lords of Death, receiving as my gift the Key of Life. Free was I of the Halls of Amenti, bound not be death to the circle of life. Far to the stars I journeyed until space and time became as naught. Then having drunk deep of the cup of wisdom, I looked into the hearts of men and there found I greater mysteries and was glad. For only in the Search for Truth could my Soul be stilled and the flame within be quenched.

Down through the ages I lived, seeing those around me taste of the cup of death and return again in the light of life. Gradually from the Kingdoms of Atlantis passed waves of consciousness that had been one with me, only to be replaced by spawn of a lower star.

In obedience to the law, the word of the Master grew into flower. Downward into the darkness turned the thoughts of the Atlanteans, Until at last in his wrath arose from his AGWANTI, the Dweller, (this word has no English equivalent; it means a state of detachment) speaking The Word, calling the power. Deep in Earth’s heart, the sons of Amenti heard, and hearing, directing the changing of the flower of fire that burns eternally, changing and shifting, using the LOGOS, until that great fire changed its direction.

Over the world then broke the great waters, drowning and sinking, changing Earth’s balance until only the Temple of Light was left standing on the great mountain on UNDAL still rising out of the water; some there were who were living, saved from the rush of the fountains.

Called to me then the Master, saying: "Gather ye together my people. Take them by the arts ye have learned of far across the waters, until ye reach the land of the hairy barbarians, dwelling in caves of the desert. Follow there the plan that yet know of."

Gathered I then my people and entered the great ship of the Master. Upward we rose into the morning. Dark beneath us lay the Temple. Suddenly over it rose the waters. Vanished from Earth, until the time appointed, was the great Temple.

Fast we fled toward the sun of the morning, until beneath us lay the land of the children of KHEM. Raging, they came with cudgels and spears lifted in anger seeking to slay and utterly destroy the Sons of Atlantis, Then raised I my staff and directed a ray of vibration, striking them still in their tracks as fragments of stone of the mountain. Then spoke I to them in words calm and peaceful, telling them of the might of Atlantis, saying we were children of the Sun and its messengers. Cowed I them by my display of magic-science, until at my feet they groveled, when I released them.

Long dwelt we in the land of KHEM, long and yet long again. Until obeying the commands of the Master, who while sleeping yet lives eternally, I sent from me the Sons of Atlantis, sent them in many directions, that from the womb of time wisdom might rise again in her children.

Long time dwelt I in the land of KHEM, doing great works by the wisdom within me. Upward grew into the light of knowledge the children of KHEM, watered by the rains of my wisdom. Blasted I then a path to Amenti so that I might retain my powers, living from age to age a Sun of Atlantis, keeping the wisdom, preserving the records.

Great few the sons of KHEM, conquering the people around them, growing slowly upwards in Soul force. Now for a time I go from among them into the dark halls of Amenti, deep in the halls of the Earth, before the Lords of the powers, face to face once again with the Dweller.

Raised I high over the entrance, a doorway, a gateway leading down to Amenti. Few there would be with courage to dare it, few pass the portal to dark Amenti. Raised over the passage, I, a mighty pyramid, using the power that overcomes Earth force (gravity). Deep and yet deeper place I a force-house or chamber; from it carved I a circular passage reaching almost to the great summit. There in the apex, set I the crystal, sending the ray into the "Time-Space," drawing the force from out of the ether, concentrating upon the gateway to Amenti.

Other chambers I built and left vacant to all seeming, yet hidden within them are the keys to Amenti. He who in courage would dare the dark realms, let him be purified first by long fasting. Lie in the sarcophagus of stone in my chamber. Then reveal I to him the great mysteries. Soon shall he follow to where I shall meet him, even in the darkness of Earth shall I meet him, I, Thoth, Lord of Wisdom, meet him and hold him and dwell with him always.

Builded I the Great Pyramid, patterned after the pyramid of earth force, burning eternally so that it, too, might remain through the ages. In it, I builded my knowledge of "Magic-Science" so that I might be here when again I return from Amenti, Aye, while I sleep in the Halls of Amenti, my Soul roaming free will incarnate, dwell among men in this form or another. (Hermes, thrice-born.)

Emissary on Earth am I of the Dweller, fulfilling his commands so many might be lifted. Now return I to the halls of Amenti, leaving behind me some of my wisdom. Preserve ye and keep ye the command of the Dweller: Lift ever upwards your eyes toward the light. Surely in time, ye are one with the Master, surely by right ye are one with the Master, surely by right yet are one with the ALL.

No, I depart from ye. Know my commandments, keep them and be them, and I will be with you, helping and guiding you into the Light.

Now before me opens the portal. Go I down in the darkness of night.
http://www.think-aboutit.com/Spiritual/tablet_i_the_history_of_thoth.htm

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 05:06:02 pm »

cleasterwood

Member # 1620

Member Rated:
   posted 10-29-2004 05:29 AM                       
Ah, the Emerald Tablets. Two things: go to http://www.crystalinks.com/emerald.html for the full content with headings. I believe they were discovered in the 1920's and then buried away for some time while being studied, but I could be wrong. My next suggestion is to do a search in these forums for it as we've discussed this in the Atlantis thread several times. I'm sure you will find some enlightening material and arguements as to whether or not the tablets are authentic. Also, you can go to any "New Age" book store and buy a copy which will give you all the historical background accurately. Some of us here strongly believe it to be authentic, but mainstream Egyptologists will beg to differ, of course.
Egypt is my favorite and Tehuti guides my hand whenever I set it down on paper. Good luck with your paper and I'm sure you'll find much of what you're looking for on this site.

------------------
I'm just here for the research!

[This message has been edited by cleasterwood (edited 10-29-2004).]

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 05:07:28 pm »

Peter V

Member # 71

Member Rated:
   posted 10-29-2004 01:41 PM                       
There isn't even emerald in Egypt.
If it exists, its fake.

[This message has been edited by Peter V (edited 10-29-2004).]

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 05:08:58 pm »

bluducky

Member # 1880

Member Rated:
   posted 10-31-2004 02:49 AM                       
Oh come now Peter!!
Help her with her paper!! you know you can...

I believe we have discussed this before on these forums, but don't know where.

anyone care to bring forth a link? (unless I was dreaming?)

Posts: 1626 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2004   

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 05:10:02 pm »

HereForNow
Member # 2132

Rate Member   posted 10-31-2004 05:29 PM                       
http://www.crystalinks.com/12pyrthoth.html
Interesting link above....
As for the emerald tablets, there is emerald in South America which also happens to have pyramids...........

Hope this helps, regaurds.

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 05:10:41 pm »

Peter V

Member # 71

Member Rated:
   posted 10-31-2004 06:07 PM                       
Pyramids which in no way relate to the Egyptian pyramids.
The Emerald Tablet is a joke.

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 05:32:16 pm »

Absonite

Member # 1766

posted 11-01-2004 04:37 AM                       
I've always been under the impression that there has been lots of Emerald trinkets found in Egypt.
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 05:33:10 pm »

Peter V

Member # 71

Member Rated:
   posted 11-01-2004 09:51 AM                       
Nope.
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 05:34:06 pm »

Absonite

Member # 1766

posted 11-01-2004 10:14 AM                       
Peter,
it appears that you have no idea about what you are talking about, both with Emeralds in Egypt as well as the Tablets of Thoth. The tablets speak for themselves, if you do not or cannot understand them and their significance "spiritually" then that is one thing, being a spiritual midget is quite another.

Learn about emeralds and their fascinating history.
They have graced Crown Jewels and embellished the thrones of some of the oldest dynasties in history. As a symbol of wealth and power they are unsurpassed. With their sparkling green lustre they are considered to be more precious than diamonds. And, carat for carat, they are the most expensive gems in the world. They are emeralds, the most precious of all gems.

If you were fortunate enough to possess an emerald that would fit into the palm of your hand, it could, depending on itÕs quality, be worth over one million dollars. Why such a high price? A large part of the reason is that emeralds are rare gems. Emeralds are a type of beryl crystal. They are formed from a combination of the common elements aluminium and silicon with the rare element beryllium. Small amounts of trace elements, either chromium or vanadium, give the emerald its distinctive green tint.

The worldÕs source of emerald supplies has traditionally been Egypt. For thousands of years the famous Cleopatra mines, to be found some 440 miles southeast of Cairo, were worked by the Egyptians and then the Romans and the Turks. Working long hours under the blistering heat of the Sun, and the darkness, heat and dust of the underground mines must have been a real ordeal for those ancient laborers. Yet the mines were worked continually from about 330 B.C.E right through until 1237 C.E.

In ancient times emeralds held a real fascination for the people. In addition to their exquisite beauty, they were coveted for their supposed magical and healing powers. Emeralds were, in fact, considered to be a cure for many diseases. They were also believed to be able to heighten fertility and sexual desire in females. As a result of such claims, Emeralds were greatly sought after and a profitable trade was established between Egypt and nations as far away as India.

The Egyptian monopoly on the world supply of Emeralds lasted right up until the Sixteenth Century, C.E. It was then that the Spanish Conquistadores arrived in South America. In 1558 the Spaniards located a mine at Muzo, near Columbia. There they discovered emeralds of breathtaking size and beauty. The Spaniards wasted no time in capitalizing on this find. They promptly seized the mine and enslaved the local population. These slaves were then forced to do the back breaking work of extracting the gems from the mine. Soon a vast supply of large, fine emeralds were being shipped to Europe. These jewels soon found their way into the hands of many of the ruling Empires around Europe and the Middle East. The Ottoman Turks, the Persian Shahs and even the royalty of India were featuring delicately sculpted emeralds as the showpieces of their jewel collections.

One of the ironies of the modern jewel trade is that the people who labor so hard to mine the gems are barely able to afford the food to keep themselves alive, yet alone to be able to buy an emerald. Not surprisingly, then, there is an overwhelming temptation for emerald workers to hide and smuggle gems out of the mines. This has led to an unprecedented level of security wherein security guards armed with machine guns monitor every move that the workers make. Despite this, however, there is a roaring trade in black market emerald smuggling. In fact, according to an article in National Geographic magazine, Ò Most emeralds move off the record, untaxed, unseen, buried in aw world market that the trade calls black. Almost every high quality emerald is smuggled at some time in itÕs history.Ó
http://ndnd.essortment.com/emeraldshistory_rlyh.htm

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: