Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:07:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Has the Location of the Center City of Atlantis Been Identified?
http://www.mysterious-america.net/hasatlantisbeenf.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the Emerald Tablet of Thoth (Original Version)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Emerald Tablet of Thoth (Original Version)  (Read 19841 times)
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2008, 09:37:56 pm »

cleasterwood

Member # 1620

Member Rated:
   posted 11-10-2004 04:45 AM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Veronica,
You're very welcome. My passion for Ancient Egypt has led me to read many mainstream, controversial, and esoteric texts but my study of Egyptian magic has brought me closer to the dieties as they want me to percieve them.
I too am inclined to believe the Tablet exists, however, I too am going on the writer/owner's words. The mainstream arguement is this: they don't exist or are fakes. All Mainstream students will say this. It is one of the few documents that mention Atlantis by name, yet I feel that the original name is different and Atlantis was substituted as a common thread for controversial theorists. It's hard to really say without actually seeing the Tablets themselves. As I've said earlier, what matters most is what can we learn from it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2008, 09:38:34 pm »

Peter V

Member # 71

Member Rated:
   posted 11-10-2004 10:09 AM                       
I don't know whether I find it sad or comical that people put so much faith in an object never physically recorded, or even have access to for study. This has all the makings of a garbage idea produced to capture the minds of people who want to believe in something bigger than themselves and find history too boring.
Anyways, I have to get ready for class. Studying the real ancient Egyptians and all that.

Oscar, you have a peter fetish and need to seek help.

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2008, 09:39:05 pm »

Brig

Administrator
Member # 802

posted 11-10-2004 02:44 PM                       
Weeeelllll Veronica that all depends on your interpretation of "enlightened"  Wink
Posts: 10612 | From: Old Washington, Ohio , USA | Registered: Apr 2002   
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2008, 09:41:50 pm »

Brig

Administrator
Member # 802

posted 11-10-2004 03:03 PM                       
Peter, never carve anything in stone. Upon rare occassion you may have to nibble it out again.
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2008, 09:42:34 pm »

oscar

Member # 1390

Rate Member   posted 11-11-2004 02:18 AM                       
No, Oscar idol...with capital letters! HAHAHAHA!
Posts: 3395 | From: belo horizonte, brazil | Registered: Feb 2003 
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2008, 09:43:02 pm »

cleasterwood

Member # 1620

Member Rated:
   posted 11-11-2004 04:58 AM                       
Peter,
So what if we are looking for something bigger than ourselves? Christians do it everyday. Just because the Bible is available to read, doesn't necessarily mean it is ALL Fact either. Do you have religious faith in anything? If you do, then you too are searching for something higher than yourself and it too could be filled with Garbage ideas produced to capture the mind.

And good for you that you have to go to school but it doesn't mean we don't study the REAL Egyptians as well. Not only do I study the REAL Egyptians I have an open mind that studies all faucets of them, even the controversial because hey, guess what Mainstreamists have been wrong before!

Brig,
Eventually he will have to eat his own words.

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2008, 09:43:47 pm »

Brig

Administrator
Member # 802

posted 11-11-2004 03:58 PM                       
When men consider themselves gods; they will have the devil to pay.
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2008, 09:44:13 pm »

Brig

Administrator
Member # 802

posted 11-11-2004 04:00 PM                       
Peter is often correct, however, there are times he reminds of the ant crawling up the elephants leg with **** on its mind.
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2008, 09:44:39 pm »

via mars 2
Member # 1970

Member Rated:
   posted 11-11-2004 06:25 PM                       
wow brig. did you find an old proverb book laying about the shelves?
btw, peace. thanks for the service in your branch. it's not like it sounds proper to say "happy veteran's day!"

a day of reflection should have more of a somber tone. besides, we've got a lot of new veterans out there, due to current and not so current circumstances over there in no man's land.

Posts: 2365 | From: arlington, va. | Registered: May 2004 
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2008, 09:45:20 pm »

Veronica Poe

Member # 2172

posted 11-12-2004 04:48 AM                       
My respects to the veterans, too, it is so sad that anyone has to die in that war over in Iraq.
In regards to what we are speaking about, I think Peter is entitled to his opinon. I suppose if my major was Egyptology, I would become defensive about anything brought to the contrary of whatI had been taught, too.

However, I think, for a scientist, the most important thing is to have an open mind. How are we to open our eyes to new possibilities if we close our minds off to them from the start? If the Emerald Tablet is really as old as has been said, I think it would be an easy matter to test it in some fashion. Has it ever been tested?

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2008, 09:45:50 pm »

Peter V

Member # 71

Member Rated:
   posted 11-12-2004 06:13 AM                       
A scientist looks at facts and evidence. There is none of that here.
Wipe the cobwebs from your brain.

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2008, 09:46:29 pm »

Psycho

Member # 2035

posted 11-12-2004 07:18 AM                       
Uh, Pete, I think you're confusing the Emerald Tablet with Egyptology. Egyptology never uses science to substantiate itself, only opinions. If all the Egyptologists are as narrow-minded as you, well, let's just say I rest my case!!
 Grin Grin

You just keep on searching, Veronica..!

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2008, 09:46:55 pm »

Veronica Poe

Member # 2172

posted 11-12-2004 10:35 PM                       
Peter, I don't understand this hostility you have towards the Emerald Tablet. You said it sounds like a forgery created to capture the imagination of people (like us), and yet you admit that it has never been examined by science. From where I stand then, there is no scientific basis to disqualify the tablet, only one based on preconception.
You mentioned that the role of the god Thoth in the tablet is nothing like his role in Egyptian mythology. Would you care to expand on this or am I to simply take your word for it..?

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2008, 09:47:59 pm »

Veronica Poe

Member # 2172

posted 11-16-2004 10:18 PM                       
First off, I would certainly like to thank everyone here who helped contribute ideas towards my paper. The project was submitted today, although I feel the end result was still a bit more mixed than I would have liked it to be. Thank you again everybody.
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2008, 09:48:51 pm »

CAT
Member # 1254

Rate Member   posted 11-18-2004 02:22 PM                       
Its been a while since I posted here, anybody miss me?  Smiley
I dont know how true any of this is, but there is some history attached to the Emerald Tablet and Alexander the Great a Greek who became pharaoh when he conquered Egypt in 332 BC... As pharaoh, he gained access to all the treasures of Egypt, including the whereabouts of Hermes Akhenaten's?) tomb. Convinced it was his destiny to reveal the ancient secrets, Alexander immediately headed across the Libyan desert to an ancient temple at Siwa near where the tomb was located. According to Albertus Magnus and others, that is where Alexander found the Emerald Tablet.

Alexander took the tablet and scrolls he found in the tomb to Heliopolis, where he placed the scrolls in the sacred archives and put the Emerald Tablet on public display. Construction of the city of Alexandria to house and study the Hermetic texts was begun immediately, and he assembled a panel of priests and scholars to prepare Greek translations. According to esoteric historian Manly P. Hall, the mysterious Emerald Tablet caused quite a stir. One traveler, who had seen it on display at Heliopolis, wrote: It is a precious stone, like an emerald, whereon these characters are represented in bas-relief, not engraved. It is esteemed above 2,000 years old.

When Alexander left Egypt, it has been suggested that he took the original tablet with him and hid it for safekeeping before going on to conquer Babylonia and India. Meanwhile, copies of the tablet became primary documents at Alexandria, and according to some reports, scholars issued revised Greek translations in 290 BC, 270 BC, and 50 BC. Several papyrii in the British Museum mention a canon of Egyptian teachings that included the writings of Hermes that was still in existence at the time of Clement of Alexandria (around 170 CE). Fortunately, before Alexandria's libraries were destroyed in successive burnings by the Romans, Christians, and Muslims, copies of the Emerald Tablet had made their way into Arabia and from there eventually reached Spain and Europe.

After Alexander died from a fever on his return from India, his body was interred in a tomb somewhere in the Egyptian desert, although to this day, no one knows where. Yet someone did discover the hiding place of the Emerald Tablet. It is said that a brilliant Syrian youth named Balinas found it hidden in a large cavern just outside his hometown of Tyana in Cappadocia. It was Balinas who absorbed the tablet’s teachings and once again brought them to light in the Western world. Respected for his great wisdom and magical powers, Apollonius traveled throughout the world and eventually settled in Alexandria.

There have been scores of books Apollonius wrote in Alexandria and all of the dozens of temples dedicated to him were destroyed by Christian zealots. Suposedly Appollonius
assure that the Emerald Tablet and its principles survived.

The earliest surviving translation of the Emerald Tablet is in an Arabic book known as the Book of Balinas the Wise on Causes, written around 650 AD and based on Apollonius Alexandrian writings. It also appears in the eighth century Kitab Sirr al Asar, an Arabian book of advice to kings. Another Arabic text, written by alchemist Jabir Hayyan around 800 AD, contains a copy of the Emerald Tablet and also gives Apollonius as the source. In all these texts, Apollonius describes finding the Emerald Tablet in the underground cavern in Tyana. He never claims credit for it, though he spent the rest of his life writing about it and demonstrating its principles to anyone who would listen...

But still it is a mystery! Just where it is knowbody knows???

[This message has been edited by CAT (edited 11-18-2004).]

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: