Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 10:57:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ARE Search For Atlantis 2007 Results
http://mysterious-america.net/bermudatriangle0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the Temple of Neith - Original

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Temple of Neith - Original  (Read 7482 times)
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2008, 10:01:38 pm »

Do you have anything on Sais, or the Sphinx?
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2008, 10:02:10 pm »

Rich

Member # 2265

Member Rated:
   posted 06-07-2006 07:56 AM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In the interior above the Sebennytic[Busiris] and Phatnitic mouths lies Xoïs[Sais], both an island and a city, in the Sebennytic Nome" --Strabo Book 17

Manetho was from Sebennytos, formerly called Busiris.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Periods/Roman/_Texts/Ptolemy/4/5*.html
Sais nome and metropolis: Sais 61*30 30°30
Xois nome and metropolis: Xois 61*40 30°35

Sebennytus 62*20 30°20
Busiris 62*30 30°15

[ 06-07-2006, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Rich ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 2160 | From: Parts Unknown, USA | Registered: Dec 2004   
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2008, 10:07:04 pm »

sevens

Member # 3037

Member Rated:
   posted 06-07-2006 06:35 PM                       
Thanks Rich

Im enjoying the research I like that one about
both an island and a city. How interesting.

III keep on studying it.

sevens

Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2008, 10:07:32 pm »

Rich

Member # 2265

Member Rated:
   posted 06-16-2006 12:13 PM                       
Neith(Athena Saitis?) and Haphaestus?

http://www.religionswissenschaft.unizh.ch/idd/prepublications/e_idd_pataikos.pdf
On a 22nd dyn. stela from Sais a dwarf stands behind the goddess -> Neith who faces the king. He has no attributes(scarab or serpents), but P. like anonymous dwarf gods in general are associated with Neith in magical spells. (Dasen 1993: pl. 3:1). (Dwarfs in Ancient Egypt and Greece.?)

[ 06-16-2006, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Rich ]
Posts: 2160 | From: Parts Unknown, USA | Registered: Dec 2004 
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2008, 10:08:06 pm »

atalante
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
   posted 06-16-2006 08:17 PM                       
Here is a link with maps that show the sequential development of nomes in Lower Egypt. http://www.coinsofromanegypt.org/html/library/petrie/petrie_nomes_pl_II.htm

In the pre-dynastic period there were only two nomes in the western half of the Nile delta: Libya (nome 3), and Sais (nome 5). In effect, Sais represented an island, because its boundaries were two rivers in the Nile Delta.

Then in the early Dynastic period, the nome 4 (=Prosopis, or the Southern Shield of Neith) was organised, to the south of the previously existing nome 5.

According to Ptolemy, nomes 4 and 5 were located "between the Great river and the Therenuthis river". ("...the Therenuthis river, which flows thru the Sebennytic mouth")

Then in the Old Kingdom, Xois (nome 6) was organized on the next island east of the Sais nome. This nome was also an island because it was bounded by two rivers in the Nile Delta.

According to Ptolemy, the Xois nome was "between the Therenuthis and the Athribis rivers". ("... the Middle Delta where a river branches from the Bubastis, which flows thru the town Athribis and the Pineptimi mouth.")

[ 06-16-2006, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: atalante ]

Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2008, 10:08:38 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2008, 10:10:56 pm »

sevens

Member # 3037

Member Rated:
   posted 06-16-2006 08:48 PM                       
I found this in the Book of Dead.

Im not sure if it helps your research maybe you may know about this already. I thought it was interesting

My hair is the hair of Nu. My face is the face of the Disk. My eyes are the eyes of Hathor. My ears are the ears of Up-uat. My nose is the nose of Khenti-Khabas. My lips are the lips of Anpu. My teeth are the teeth of Serqet. My cheeks are the cheeks of the goddess Isis. My hands are the hands of Ba-neb-Tet. My forearms are the forearms of Neith,

the Lady of Sais. My backbone is the backbone of Suti.

I thought this was interesting as well.

I am he who cometh forth advancing, whose name is unknown. I am Yesterday. "Seer of Millions of Years" is my name. I pass along, I pass along the paths of the divine celestial judges. I am the Lord of Eternity: I decree and I judge like Khepera. I am the Lord of the Urrt Crown. I am he who dwelleth in the Utchat and in the Egg, and it is granted unto me to live therein.

This is to do with Planetary sovereignty and also a reference to the location by referring to dwelling in the egg, the location, the acropolis hill and he lives in his egg. Does the truth lay there? Are we to find something there? Is something approaching. ]

"I pass along the paths of the divine celestial judges" What paths? Is that the paths outlined in Job38 and the sevenfold paths outlined by the Essenes as well? Also is the Urrt crown and many other artefacts are to found in the Egg on top of the Acropolis Hill near the Altar in a vault near a spring? Actually in the Book of the Dead there many crowns and sceptres that suggests discovery or is that a metaphor for spiritual sovereignty??

food for thought?

regards sevens

[ 06-16-2006, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: sevens ]
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2008, 10:11:42 pm »

atalante
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
   posted 06-16-2006 09:23 PM                       
Rich,

You posted recently about Xois being regarded as an "island". Here is an interesting description of the word "island", from an Arabic Egyptian perspective.

quote from:
http://www.answers.com/topic/nile

The Gezira, or “island,” formed between the Blue Nile and the White Nile as they come together at Khartoum is Sudan's principal agricultural area and the only large tract of land outside Egypt irrigated with Nile waters.
endquote

[ 06-16-2006, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: atalante ]
Posts: 2423 | From: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2003   
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2008, 10:12:10 pm »

Riven

Member # 1495

posted 06-16-2006 10:43 PM                       
In your development of nomes in the Delta Atalante,

http://www.coinsofromanegypt.org/html/library/petrie/petrie_nomes_pl_II.htm

...did you enjoy the middle delta's Greek name of ...

PAKH-NAMUNIS..

These would be the regions of AJA, TALHA and Al MANSURAH where we find the monolithic Lion of Atlantis on the ground.

http://www.mts.net/~perasa1/Tahla%20Lion%203%20Riven%2006.jpg.jpg

TALHA just as Critias told us today;

http://www.mts.net/~perasa1/Atlantis%20Tahla%20Delta%20Egypt%20Riven05.jpg

Funny that the lower region would be called ATHRIBIS.

There's a lot those Egyptians aren't telling us, and you wonder why those other guys think Atlantis was Cyprus.... 

http://www.mts.net/~perasa1/How%20did%20Atlantis%20look.htm

--------------------
.111.[R].Riven The Seer and Royal Bloodline to Atlantis.[R].111.

Posts: 4048 | From: Azores Atlantis Isles. | Registered: May 2003   
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2008, 10:13:01 pm »

sevens

Member # 3037

Member Rated:
   posted 06-17-2006 12:56 AM                       
wow thats amazing, thats really interesting

Hey look mountain of Cooper

where does that exist? They must be talking about Greece. It must be Greece!!! Cedars. There talking about Greece again.

Thou keepest the hidden things of the avenger of the god, thou guardest them. Amam is his name. He maketh the ash trees (cedars) (Lebanon) not to grow, and the shenu trees (acacias) not to blossom, (Egypt) and preventeth copper from being found in the mountain. (Cyprus) Infers one can walk there(12 gates), also assuming deluge, flooding , cut off.
sevens

[ 06-17-2006, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: sevens ]

Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2008, 10:13:35 pm »

Ian Nottingham

Member # 2232

Member Rated:
   posted 07-23-2006 12:54 AM                       
Great information, Rich, Riv, Atalante & Sevens. I'm sure we're missing a lot of history about both Turkey and Cyprus, sevens, I have always thought that there was a missing civilization there. It coiuld be Atl, but if it was, Plato would have had to have gotten a lot of his coordinates wrong.

Nit (Gr: Neith) Local goddess of Zau (Gr: Sais), known as early as the Predynastic and Early Dynastic Period when her influence probably was at its height. Earliest traces are her hieroglyph (crossed arrows on a shield) on a pole in front of the reed shrines and on pottery from Dynasty I in Abydos. Nit is sometimes a goddess of war, sometimes the patroness of weawing, a mortuary goddess and in later times an androgynous Creator goddess.

Her function as a deity of war is probably the earliest one, mainly shown by her attributes the bow, shield and arrows. She blessed the hunter´s weapons and in early times weapons were laid as protection around coffins.

Even before the unification of the two countries she was the most important deity of Lower Egypt and therefore the red crown made of reeds, also called Nit, became the symbol of Lower Egypt. She is called 'the Terrifying One' and as a mortuary deity she protects the king; together with Aset, Serket and Nebt-Het she watches over the canopic jars. In this company she also watched over Wesir´s bier.

Through her capacity of patron deity of weawing, the mummy wrappings and linen bandages gave power to the deceased as they were a gift from her, but the hieroglyph often called a weaver's shuttle has not yet been satisfactorily verified. In this context the myth tells of her intervention when Aset and Nebt-Het are forced to work by Set. Through the negotiations of Djehuty (Thoth) Nit agreed to let her own weavers take their places so they could be freed from the imprisonment of Set.

In another myth, the 'Contendings of Heru and Set' she is called upon by the other gods to judge in the conflict because of her great wisdom. During the Third Intermediate she was a national deity and considered the spouse of Khnum at Esna, which she remained into the Ptolemaic times, several depictions of her is found here as well as of her sacred lates-fish, and at Abydos she was connected to the rites of renewal of the king´s power.

In the Late period her cult center was at Zau (Gr: Sais), in Lower Egypt. She was then seen as the mother of Sobek and of Re, and therefore given the epithet 'Mother of Gods'. It is thought her name has associations with water - Nit - Nun - Nunet, and in later times she was regarded as a primeval deity with both male and female properties. At this time she was called 'Father of the Fathers' and 'Mother of the Mothers'. During the 26th Dynasty she was the local goddess of Zau. This position was incorporated into the Greek and Roman pantheon and associated with their Athena and Diana.

Main center of worship:

Sais/Zau 5th Nome, Lower Egypt

Other sites:

Probably one in 4th Nome, name unknown, Lower Egypt

Naukratis, 7th Nome, Lower Egypt

Iunyt/Latopolis, 2nd Nome, Upper Egypt

Festivals: (exact dates not historically verified)

7th September - 21st Paopi - Neith Goes forth to Atum

13th September - 27th Paopi - Festival of lighting the fires of Neith

8th December - 23rd Tybi - Feast of Neith

26th December - 11th Mechir - Feast of Neith

19th January - 5th Pamenot - The brilliant festival of Lights as Neith Goes Forth from Sais

10th May - 26th Payni - Going Forth of Neith along the river

http://www.philae.nu/PerAnkh/perankhN.html
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2008, 10:14:14 pm »

Ian Nottingham

Member # 2232

Member Rated:
   posted 07-23-2006 12:56 AM                       
NEITH (Nit, Neit, Net)

Symbols: bows and arrows, shields and weapons, Red Crown, weaving shuttle
Cult Center: Sais, Esna

Neith is one of the oldest Egyptian goddesses. Early in Egyptian history she was honored throughout Egypt. Later on, she was mostly recognized in her cult center of Sais.

She was sometimes depicted as a woman wearing the crown of the north and holding either a sceptre or a bow and two arrows. At other times she was shown as a woman wearing a shuttle (a tool used in weaving) on her head.

It is believed that she was originally a goddess of war (due to the bow and arrows imagery) and may have become later a goddess of weaving (when wearing the shuttle). She was occasionally shown suckling a crocodile who represented her son, Sobek. She was self-produced and the Egyptians believed she was of both a masculine and feminine nature. It was said that Neith gave birth to Re while she was still in the waters of Nun. Neith was the protectoress of Duamutef, the guardian of the deceased's stomach.

During the dispute between Seth and Horus for the throne of Egypt, the gods could not decide how to resolve the issue. They sent a letter to Neith requesting her advice. She suggested that Horus be made king and Seth be given two Semetic goddesses as consolation. All the gods (but Seth) agreed with the wisdom of her solution.

Her largest temple, Sapi-meht, was located at Sais, the capital of the fifth nome of Lower Egypt. In Upper Egypt, she was portrayed with the head of a lioness. Here her husband was Khnemu, the ram-headed creation god of the First Cataract, and her son was Tutu. Tutu was a form of the god Shu.

http://www.egyptianmyths.net/neith.htm
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 10:15:05 pm by Ian Nottingham » Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2008, 10:16:29 pm »

Ian Nottingham

Member # 2232

Member Rated:
   posted 07-23-2006 01:13 AM                       
The First Kings
Associated to Place: AncientWorlds > Egypt > Upper: Great Land > Abedjou - (Abydos) > articles -- by * Mirjam Nebet (33 Articles), General Article
This is by no means an exhaustive run-through of these early kings. It is just meant as a brief asset to understanding Abedjou and its context, and only takes up what is most significant or important about these rulers. It is only a quick rundown of the first dynasties '0', 1, and 2.

Dynasty '0'

Narmer
The Unifier of Egypt?

Scorpion, Narmer, Menes, Aha. Three names circulate when trying to decide who was the uniter of the Two Lands into one country at the beginning of the state formation of ancient Eypt. Our sources are the fragmented the Narmer ceremonial palette, the Narmer macehead and the 'Scorpion' macehead, all three from the 'Main Deposit', Hierakonpolis, the writings of Manetho and Herodotus. We are here in the chronological borderland of a probable '0' Dynasty and the First Dynasty of rulers of ancient Egypt, at ca 3100 BC.

Hierakonpolis/Nekhen and the 'Main Deposit'
When J.E. Quibell excavated here in 1897-98 some finds were made in a pit called the 'Main Deposit', located between the walls of an Old Kingdom and a Middle Kingdom temple. The objects were sculpted palettes and maceheads which proved to be of great importance for the understanding of Early Dynastic Period. They are referred to as the Scorpion Macehead, the Narmer Palette and the Narmer Macehead. Unfortunately for researchers of today, these finds were not adequately recorded as to 'in-situ' references.

Narmer
Narmer is dated to c. 3100 bc and believed for good reasons to be the first ruler who unified Upper and Lower Egypt. He is thought to be buried in tomb B17-18 at Umm el-Qa´a, Abedjou. His spouse was probably one Queen Nithotep, buried at Naqada and their son Hor-Aha became the second ruler of Dynasty 1.

The name of Narmer is known from the Narmer Palette and the Narmer Macehead, both from the 'Main Deposit' at Nekhen (Gr: Hierakonpolis) where it appears in the form of the hieroglyphic sign which mean 'Catfish' n`r in later periods, and for 'chisel' m`r. These signs are conventionally read by egyptologists as narmer but could also be read narmeru or merunar. The name has been found registered in various forms on stone vessels and serehks from places around both Upper and Lower Egypt and even out in the western desert. Here is an overview of the various ways the Horus-name of Narmer is presented.

It has been debated wether Narmer was the last king of Dynasty 0 or the first king of Dynasty I and if he preceeded or was contemporary with 'Scorpion' or even the same person. It is also questioned if he is the same as Manetho´s Menes or perhaps even the ruler Aha. What is perhaps most important to look at in this problematic chronology is that the reign of Narmer came before Den and Qa´a, we must also remember that dynasties as such did not come around until over two thousand years later. Apparently Den and Qa´a seem to have themselves placed Narmer as their predecessor and founder at least when it comes to the royal burial grounds at Abedjou. In this context it has to be said that Narmer is sofar unattested by monuments at the Saqqara necropolis though he is much more attested than his predecessors in other archaeological material.

'Scorpion'
The name comes from the so called 'Scorpion Macehead' found at the Main Deposit. It is a rounded piece of decorated limestone, originally in the form of a macehead.

Noteworthy is also that at Abedjou there are no signs of a king 'Scorpion' though the tomb B50 with four chambers has been suggested as his burying place. The question then remains if he were partly a contemporary of Narmer and belonging to a royal house at Hierakonpolis rather than with the Thinite dynasty.

The problem is nowhere near solved as there also exists inscriptions and seal-impressions which seem to speak to the contrary. However, the Scorpion macehead remains the best evidence for the existence of an early king of this name.

Menes - or Aha?
The Egyptian historian and priest Manetho (c 305-285 bc) from Sebennytos in Lower Egypt, puts Menes as the founder and unifier of the Egyptian state. But there are uncertainties wether to identify Menes with Narmer or with Aha for various reasons.

A few words are therefore in place here about Aha: It is nowadays evidenced that Aha was the successor of Narmer. This since a seal impression from Umm el-Qa´ab from 1985 lists the first six rulers in this order: Narmer, Aha, Djer, Djet, Den and Merneith. Therefore Narmer is put as possibly the father of Aha and in any case his predecessor. This sets aside the belief by some scholars that Aha was identified with the mythical Menes, instead it is said that Menes could have been a name or a title for either of them, and then possibly the nebti name. Certainly there is the possibility that Menes (mn) meaning 'established' is a title rather than a name as it appears alternatingly with Narmer´s on seals from Abedjou. The form of Menes could be a Greek Period interpretation of mn.

Latest finds on Aha.

Another uncertainty about Menes/Narmer is the fact that the kings from the Pre- and Early Dynastic Period were mostly known by their official royal Horus name. With the Old Kingdom, the royal titulary changed and the king lists, which are all of a later date, are inscribed with their birth names (nomen and prenomen) while monuments show only the Horus names so confusions are prone to occur.

Of Manetho´s mythical Menes we know almost nothing more than the name. Even if he was credited by Herodotos, the Greek traveller and historian from Halicarnassos (c.484-c.420bc) as having dammed the Nile south of the future location of MenNefer (Memphis)there are no evidences. True, the city was founded during the reign of Aha but if recent dicsoveries are to be believed, Aha is the one to be credited with the foundation, not Menes.

It looks as if Narmer, as indicated by the Narmer Palette and Macehead, and by the vast and well-spread amount of sherds and ivory fragments was a ruler with interests far beyond the Nile valley, into the Eastern deserts and Israel. It does not seem impossible that he was uniter of Upper and Lower Egypt but if he was identical with Menes and if he had a predecessor by name of 'Scorpion', or was identical with this one, future finds and research will have to show.

~~~

Dynasty 1:

Hor-Aha
The name might also be 'Aha'. He was the successor of Narmer and therefore likely to be his son, perhaps then Neithotep was his mother. He took the nebti, the 'Two Ladies' name (the second name in the Royal titulary indicating the tutelary deities Wadjet and Nekhbet) name of Menes, which means 'established'. It might be due to this that the origin of the mythical first king 'Menes' arose. He ruled for 62 years according to Manetho.

Evidence from small labels in early Dynastic tombs indicate that his was a reign of some struggle, with campaigns to be fought and rebels to subdue. If Narmer was the uniter of the Two Lands, then Hor-Aha had to defend the position.

He made a noteworthy foundation to last through Egyptian history; the city of Memphis. The location was probably chosen as important for keeping the two newly united lands together, rather than anything else; a dam had, according to Herodotos, to be built and the Nile averted, for the city to be founded.

Another foundation was made by Hor-Aha, a temple to Neith at Sais, which points at the war goddess´ importance during unruly times. The worship of Neith would last into Roman days.

Djer
Djer is believed to have ruled for 57 years, and around his tomb at Abydos there are over 300 sacrificial burials (sattelite burials). This practice was soon abandoned as apparently the waste of people was too great. Instead ushabti figurines were provided in the tombs.

According to ivory and wood labels from Abydos and Saqqara, military campaigns were still the practice during Djer´s time, and there are some signs of religious rituals involving human sacrifice.

Djet - or Merneith?
Usually Djer´s successor is said to be Djet but there are indications of the 'King´s Mother', i.e. Merneith, to have ruled either alone for a period between them, or functioned as ruler for a very young king. Noteworthy is Djet´s stone stele with a remarkably elegant relief, showing his Horus name above a serekh with a serpent on top of a palace facade. As several of these early kings, Djer had a tomb at Saqqara and one at Abydos, both with satelite burials. Other details of his rule are sofar non-existent.

Den
The next ruler, Den, who probably ruled for some 20 years, is better known from inscriptions on stone vases and labels. Crossdating involving the Palermo Stone and an inscribed stone vase from Saqqara give us Den and the three remaining rulers from the 1st Dynasty. There is also an interesting ivlory label from Abydos showing Den striking an enemy with a club in his raised arm, in the very same posture which would represent pharaohs during the rest of Egyptian history. The inscriptions tells: "The first time of the smiting of the east". Also Djer had a tomb at Saqqara and at Abydos, both witih satellite burials.

Anedjib
During Anedjib´s 26 year long reign there was apparently some unrest between north and south. There are some signs that he was of the so called 'Thinite' dynasty. His tomb at Abydos is small and of poor quality as are the satellite burials, and his name which was inscribed on many stone vases, were erased during the time of his follower, Semerkhet, which points at some powerstruggle.

Semerkhet
His reign was not more than nine years if the Palermo Stone is to be believed, but Manetho records it as 18 years long. As Semerkhet erased his predecessor´s name from stone vases, he was possibly an usurper, and in his turn his name ws omitted from the Saqqara King List. It´s interesting to note, that while Anedjib´s tomb at Abydos was poor, Semerkhet+s was large and wellbuilt.

Qa´a Qa´a is the last ruler of the 1st Dynasty. His tomb at Abydos, from the beginning a simple brick-lined burial chamber, had gone through several alterations and enlargements. During his reign, the practice of sacrifical burials seem to have stopped, at least in the north though some still occurred in the south.

~~~

Dynasty 2:
The three first rulers, Hotepsekhemwy, Raneb and NyNetjer, are know to us from an inscription at the back of a statue of the priest Hotep-dif from the 3rd Dynasty, who apparently took care of the cult of these three kings.

Hotepsekhemwy
His name means 'Pleasing in Powers' but his tomb has not been found and little is known about him. According to Manetho he reigned for 38 years but there are no remains left from it. Apart from the above-mentioned statue of Hotep-dif, some sealings with his name found att Saqqara near the pyramid of Unas might indicate that his tomb there is yet to be found, but this is all there is sofar.

Raneb
Not much more rermains from the supposedly 39 years long reign of Raneb. His name within the serekh on a stele is found at Abydos and apart from that, likewise a few sealings found at Saqqara in the same area as his predecessor, are the only tell-tale signs of his existence. Though Manetho ascribes the responsibility for Ranbe having started the cult of the sacred goat of Mendes and the sacred bull of Mnevis as well as the sacred bull of Heliopolis, scholars now have found that at least the cult fo the sacred bull is attested to on a stele from the time of Den.

Nynetjer
This king seemed to have ruled for 47 years according to Manetho. Records on the Palermo Stone tells of various events like: 'the hacking up of the city of Shem-Re', 'running of the Apis bull', and the birth of Khasekhemwy, the last king to be of the 2nd dynasty. According to Manetho, it was decided that women could also occupied the throne, but if indications are to be believed, so had already happened with Merneith in the 1st Dynasty.

Seth-Peribsen
This king came to the throne with the name of Sekhem-ib and ruled for 17 years before hi changed his name to Seth-Peribsen. During this period, the struggle betewwen the norht and the south became actualized and after a time of internal unrest, Sekhemib must have decided that it was important to incorporate the god Seth into his name. He accordingly changed his serekh, which had been surmounted by the Horus falcon, into one with the Seth animal above it. Perhaps it indicates that the followers of Seth were victorious. It is suggested that the power struggle between north and south was patterned to some degreee after the mythological struggle between the deities Horus and Seth.

Between Peribsen and Khasekhemwy, Manetho inserts three kings; Sendji, Neterka and Neferkara, who should have reigned for 41, 17 and 25 years, but evidence for their existence is negligible and there are no archaeological remains.

Khasekhemwy
Khasekhemwy was probably of a diplomatic character since he managed to incorporate both the name of Horus and the name of Seth into his serekh. He seems to have managed to throw back a number of rebellions and secure the unification of the two lands once more. There are those who maintain that he had a predecessor with the name of Khasekhem whihle others hold that it is one and the same person, ruling for 30 years and changing his name to Khasekhemwy which means 'The Two Powerful Ones Appear' and with both the Horus falcon and the Seth animal depicted in his serekh.

The war between north and south is glimpsed through an insrciption on a stone vase: 'The year of fighting the norhtern enemy within the city of Nekheb and a depiction of its patron deity, the vulture goddess Nekhbeth. For the northerners to have reached so far south from the Delta, the war must have been quite serious. From Nekhen (Hierakonpolis) comes two seated statues of Khasekhemwy, aroundd which bases the number of northernes killed are give to be 47.209. The king is wearing the White Crown, indicating the victory of the south.

It seems he was married to a northern princess, Nemaathap, in a political effort to consolidate the unification and the relations between norht and south. As Khasekhemwy became the last king of the 2nd dynasty, she was later considered the ancestress of the 3rd Ddynasty and the title givenher was 'King-bearing Mother'.

Khasekhemwy´s tomb at Abydos is an immense structure with a central burial chamber. Here his sceptre of gold and sard, and a number of small stone pots with goldleaf lids still remained. Some 1000 yards out in the dessert from the tomb is a large rectangular structure, the Shunet-el-Zebib. Walls of up to 5 m height, with a palace facade appearance, have survived for nearly 5000 years but if the purpose of the structure was for provisions of the king´s 'ka' or a fortress, is not yet clear.

Sources:
Early Dynastic Egypt - Toby A. Wilkinson
What is Really Known about the Narmer Palette - Jacques Kinnaer, article in KMT #1 2004.
Chronicles of the Pharaohs - Peter A. Clayton

http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Article/790514
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2008, 10:17:09 pm »

End of all the original material.
Report Spam   Logged
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2008, 03:45:56 pm »

Hi Herefornow,

Symbolism is important.  I have to say, when I first started investigating Atlantis, I was a little disappointed that the Mayan glyphs bear little resemblance to the Egyptian glyphs.  If they had common symbols, we might be onto something! Equally, Mesomamerican pyramids don't look anything like Egyptian pyramids. If they had some resemblance, we might be onto something.

I can relate.

However the pyramids in Bosnia, and China do look like the pyramids in Egypt.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/26/bosnian_pyramids/

China
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: