Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 06:12:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Secrets of ocean birth laid bare 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5191384.stm#graphic

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Rochdale's Stonehenge?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rochdale's Stonehenge?  (Read 122 times)
Robin Barquenast
Superhero Member

« on: April 11, 2008, 02:51:31 am »

Rochdale's Stonehenge?
Alice McKeegan and David Ottewell
9/ 4/2008

'Rochdale's Stonehenge', photographed by archaeologist Stuart Mendelsohn.

ARCHAEOLOGISTS have unearthed a "mini-Stonehenge"... on the moors of Rochdale.

The two nearby sites - an oval made up of collapsed slabs, and a 30-metre circle of rounded stones - are believed to be ancient burial sites dating back as far as 5,000 years.

They were spotted by archaeologist Stuart Mendelsohn during a walk on the hills in December and could now become a major tourist attraction.

"I suppose you could describe it as Rochdale's version of Stonehenge," said Mr Mendelson, 52, who is based in Sweden but originally from Middleton. "It would have been a sacred site and what we've found so far I feel will be the tip of the iceberg.

"It was very unexpected and I didn't believe it at first. I just can't believe that it's been missed by everyone.

"The stones are not arranged randomly and it's quite clear to see.

"For our area and beyond, it's very significant. We've found two burial mounds. The stones may represent particular lunar events in the calendar. I think it would have been a focal point for the whole community."

Archeaological expert

The two sites have been visited by Peter Iles, a leading archaeological expert from Lancashire County Council. They have also been inspected by English Heritage and entered on the official Greater Manchester archaeology database.

English Heritage described both as "fairly well preserved" and claim both are "possible of Bronze age date" - meaning they could date back to 3,000 BC.

Unlike the famous monument at Stonehenge, however, they are believed to be made of local materials.

The first site, made up of fallen stones, is 10.2m in overall diameter.. The second, which includes the circle, is on the western slope and - according to an English Heritage report - "seems to have been sited to be visible from some distance to the west, rather than the valley floor".

The report adds that both finds "probably represent Bronze Age burial monuments."

Around 20 stones have been uncovered it total - the largest being 1.5m tall - and the entire site covers an acre.

Prehistoric flints

"It's great news for Rochdale," said Mr Mendelsohn. "Prehistoric flints have been found in Littleborough, but as far as I'm aware, this is the first significant discovery in the town.

"I don't know why that site was chosen originally but it has fantastic views of Rochdale and was fairly close to where people lived.

"It's a great site and we really need to get it protected and preserved."

Norman Redhead, the Greater Manchester county archaeologist, said he planned to visit the site in the next few weeks.

The construction of Stonehenge, one of the most famous pre-historic sites in the world, is believed to have been carried out in three stages, with the earliest starting in 3,100 BC - around 500 years before the Great Pyramid of Giza.

Historians are still puzzled as to exactly why Stonehenge was built and how its creators managed to transport rock from the Preseli mountains to a site in Wiltshire more than 200 miles away.

The site currently attracts an estimated one million visitors from around the world, every year.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1044424_rochdales_stonehenge
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: