Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 11:20:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Update About Cuba Underwater Megalithic Research
http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistory/Atlantis/bimini.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Global warming rallies planned nationwide Saturday

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global warming rallies planned nationwide Saturday  (Read 108 times)
Athena Nike
Superhero Member

« on: April 14, 2007, 04:51:47 am »

Global warming rallies planned nationwide Saturday
POSTED: 3:35 p.m. EDT, April 13, 2007

Story Highlights• 1,350 Step It Up activities planned for Saturday in all 50 states
• Activities include skiing down receding glacier, diving at coral reef
• Group hopes to cut carbon emissions by 80 percent by 2050[/b]

MONTPELIER, Vermont (AP) -- A group of Middlebury College students looking to draw attention to global warming have sparked a national day of action beyond their wildest expectations: 1,350 actions planned Saturday across all 50 states.

Participants in Step It Up 2007 will be skiing down a disappearing glacier in Wyoming and diving to a coral reef off the Florida Keys. In Vershire, Vermont, they'll be eating pancakes to highlight concerns about how climate change could affect maple syrup production.

In New York City, blue-clad protesters will line up to mark where rising sea levels could move the coastline. San Franciscans will load up their low-emissions vehicles with stuffed polar bears for a trip to a local Hummer dealership, to illustrate worries that warmer temperatures could wipe out the species' habitat.

"We see this to be the most pressing issue of our time, and our generation," said Will Bates, 23, one of six former Middlebury students who helped organize the event with author Bill McKibben, a scholar in residence at the school.

"We care about the impact it'll have on our lives and on the lives of people all over the world," Bates said. "We see it as a moral issue, and we see the need to take urgent action. It's not something that can wait years or decades."

Step It Up is aimed at reducing carbon emissions by 80 percent by 2050. It is the outgrowth of a November 4 event in which more than 500 people hiked up mountains, handed out leaflets and held other actions in 30 locations around Vermont, each branded with a "Vote to Stop Global Warming" banner.

Working from a two-room storefront in Burlington and using word of mouth, blogs, e-mail messages and other appeals, organizers have drawn a huge response to the April day of action, thanks in part to help from organizations such as the National Wildlife Federation and the Natural Resources Defense Council.

"Since we had no money and no organization, we thought we might organize 100 (events) by April 14," said McKibben. "Instead, it's taken off like a shot."

McKibben, whose 1989 book "The End of Nature," was among the first to highlight the problem of global warming, says the event marks a watershed moment in the push to act.

"It makes me unbelievably hopeful," he said Thursday in a telephone interview from New York, where he was promoting the event. "I've been doing this for a very long time. I wrote the first book on all this in 1989. Most of that time, not much has been happening. I've been telling myself 'The moment will come, and when it does, we have to take advantage."'

Organizers ruled out a march on Washington early on, given the irony of having people travel across the country, burning fossil fuels, to protest the man-made rise in greenhouse gases, McKibben said.

"We wanted people to do it close to home, and we figured (U.S.) senators and representatives would pay more attention to it that way, anyway," McKibben said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/04/13/climate.rallies.ap/index.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Mark of Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:13:38 pm »

Hi Athena and everyone else in this section ,

I am not sure what the majority view is about all this Global warming stuff in America ,(I'm in Australia)  but is there any chance that the U.S. government might actually make real changes in their energy policy any time soon ?

In Australia there has been recent talk of the benefits of Nuclear energy although it is admitted that it will be atleast 20 years away, but we are already starting to export large quantities of our Uranium to other nations for their reactors. This is quite a turn out because I have followed this issue for the last 10 years and it has been amazing how quickly public opinion and government policy has changed on the issue of mining Uranium. 10 years ago we seemed on the brink of shutting down the entire Uranium industry ,now it's being expanded into almost every state!

I wonder if America could have such a 'sudden' shift. That would surely shake up the world economy if they did.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 03:15:43 pm »

Of course, all this is based on the assumption that we can actually do something about the climate. Most here seem to believe we can and are altering climate.  I personally am not convinced.  But all that matters is that the majority are convinced .Are they ?  It seems that way from all the media reports.
Report Spam   Logged
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 04:55:24 am »

Mark,

I think there used to be a debate on climate change in this country (US), but it is moreorless settled now.  The Bush Administration even acknowledges it's happening (though it edits it's own scientists' reports).  The Bush people refuse to sign Kyoto, though, cause they think it will be too costly. The next administration probably will.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: