Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 06:05:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Clinton says she 'misspoke' about sniper fire

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clinton says she 'misspoke' about sniper fire  (Read 77 times)
Monique Faulkner
Superhero Member

« on: March 25, 2008, 11:05:53 am »

Story Highlights
Sen. Hillary Clinton has told of dangerous arrival in Bosnia in 1996 under sniper fire

Video footage of arrival shows Clinton and daughter walking calmly from plane

Clinton recounted story in effort to show her foreign policy experience

Obama campaign says Clinton has "exaggerated her role" in foreign policy

Next Article in Politics »

Read  VIDEO

(CNN) -- Sen. Hillary Clinton said she "misspoke" last week when she gave a dramatic description of her arrival in Bosnia 12 years ago, recounting a landing under sniper fire.

Then-first lady Hillary Clinton greets a girl as she and her daughter, Chelsea, arrive in Bosnia in 1996.

Clinton was responding to a question Monday from the Philadelphia Daily News' editorial board about video footage of the event that contradicted her assertion that her group "ran with our heads down" from the plane to avoid sniper fire at the Tuzla Air Base.

Tommy Vietor, a spokesman for rival Sen. Barack Obama's campaign, said the Bosnia claim was part of "a growing list of instances in which Sen. Clinton has exaggerated her role in foreign and domestic policymaking."

Clinton told the paper's editorial board it was a "minor blip."  Watch how Clinton described her trip »

"I say a lot of things -- millions of words a day -- so if I misspoke, that was just a misstatement," she said.

In a foreign policy speech last week at George Washington University, Clinton used the description of the dangerous arrival to bolster her argument that she has the foreign policy experience needed to be commander in chief.

Don't Miss
Obama supporter refers to Bill Clinton, 'blue dress'
Richardson: 'I am very loyal to the Clintons'
Chief of firm involved in breach is Obama adviser
In Depth: Election Center 2008
She said when she arrived in Bosnia on March 25, 1996, "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."

But news video footage of her arrival at Tuzla shows Clinton, then the first lady, calmly walking from the rear ramp of a U.S. Air Force C-17 transport plane with her daughter, Chelsea, then 16, at her side. Both Clintons held their heads up and did not appear rushed as they walked toward the group waiting on the tarmac to welcome them.

The video shows Clinton spending several minutes talking with the group, including an 8-year-old Bosnian girl who presented her with a poem, and later greeting U.S. troops.

Clinton has mentioned the sniper fire at least twice earlier in the campaign, including in December in Dubuque, Iowa, before the caucuses in that state.

"We landed in one of those corkscrew landings and ran out because they said there might be sniper fire," Clinton said. "I don't remember anybody offering me tea on the tarmac when that was happening."

Clinton's campaign has made foreign policy experience a centerpiece of her effort to come back against Obama, whom she is trailing in delegates for the Democratic presidential nomination.

During Monday's editorial meeting -- in which Clinton was seeking the Daily News' endorsement ahead of Pennsylvania's April 22 primary -- she was asked about the apparent discrepancy. The newspaper reported her response:

"Now let me tell you what I can remember, OK -- because what I was told was that we had to land a certain way and move quickly because of the threat of sniper fire. So I misspoke -- I didn't say that in my book or other times but if I said something that made it seem as though there was actual fire -- that's not what I was told," she told the newspaper.

"I was told we had to land a certain way, we had to have our bulletproof stuff on because of the threat of sniper fire. I was also told that the greeting ceremony had been moved away from the tarmac but that there was this 8-year-old girl and, I can't, I can't rush by her, I've got to at least greet her -- so I greeted her, I took her stuff and then I left. Now that's my memory of it."

The first lady's official schedule for the day -- made public by the National Archives last week -- said U.S. Ambassador John Menzies would introduce Clinton to the greeters, the Bosnian girl would read her poem and Clinton would meet a seventh-grade class.

The schedule noted that Ejup Ganic, the acting president of Bosnia, would be among those greeting the first lady.

Video footage showed Clinton walking on the tarmac with about a dozen young people, but it was not clear if they were the seventh-graders mentioned on her schedule.

American comedian Sinbad and singer Sheryl Crowe were also on the trip with Clinton, the schedule said.

Meanwhile, as Clinton backpedaled from the description of her Bosnia trip, the senator from New York is keeping her focus on the economy with a town hall-style meeting Tuesday in Greensburg, Pennsylvania.

Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, also is focusing on the economy. He's participating in a roundtable Tuesday in Santa Ana, California.

Obama has no public events scheduled Tuesday. The senator from Illinois is wrapping up a brief vacation to the U.S. Virgin Islands.

He resumes campaigning Wednesday, with stops scheduled in North Carolina. E-mail to a friend

CNN's Alan Duke, Steve Brusk and Mike Roselli contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/25/campaign.wrap/index.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Monique Faulkner
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 11:07:52 am »

Cafferty: Why would Clinton not tell the truth about her 1996 Bosnia trip?
Posted: 02:39 PM ET

First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton kisses Emina Bicakcic, aged eight, from Sarajevo who dedicated a poem to her shortly after her arrival at the Tuzla Air Base, Monday March 25, 1996.
FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

On two different occasions, Senator Hillary Clinton has described a trip she took as first lady to Bosnia in March of 1996.

To hear her tell it, she was lucky to escape with her life, landing in a hail of sniper fire. She said they were forced to cut short the greeting ceremony at the airport and, "run with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."

But apparently there was time to stop and visit at the airport with an 8-year-old girl who greeted Mrs. Clinton on the tarmac when she landed and read her a poem.

The military commander on hand to greet Clinton at the time, Major General William Nash, told the Washington Post he was unaware of any sniper threat to Clinton during her 8-hour stay.

Also traveling with the first lady was her daughter Chelsea, the singer Sheryl Crow and the comedian Sinbad, who said the scariest part of the trip was deciding where to eat.

Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:47:53 am »

It appears that both Clinton and McCain have disturbing lapses in memory when it come to foreign affairs.  That leaves Obama as the best-qualified candidate to lead America in international relations.
Report Spam   Logged
Vanguard of Truth
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:03:27 pm »

Tom, McCain is clearly getting addle-minded, Hillary is flat out lying!  No doubt she didn't think there was any tape of her arrival and could get away with it.

They did a check of her claims and most of her claims as first lady seem to fall under the category of "exaggerations."

(To put it politely!)
Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 12:30:42 pm »

Yes, you are right Vanguard.  I was trying to be kind.  Wink  But the fact remains that Obama is the best hope for restoring America's standing in world affairs.
Report Spam   Logged
Tesha Dodge
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 01:03:44 pm »

Hillary needs to drop out!  Mathematically, she can no loner win and all this back and forth is only helping McCain, who isn't getting attacked by anyone.

Maybe the plan is to let McCain go free of attack so he can be President instead of Obama.  If you listen, she is actually a lot nicer to McCain than she is to Obama.
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 01:48:42 pm »

Yes, you are right Vanguard.  I was trying to be kind.  Wink  But the fact remains that Obama is the best hope for restoring America's standing in world affairs.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Sure a gun-grabbin' CFR, pro-NAU, Bilderberger pawn is going to be our salvation.

Give me a break.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Let's look at the facts.

http://knowbeforeyouvote.com

Some salvation.   Lips sealed
Report Spam   Logged
Justin Garrow
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 04:41:44 pm »

Knowbeforeyouvote is a site created by a Ron Paul supporter, it isn't to be trusted.  Why they keep pushing Ron Paul when he has no chance is beyond me. He's already suspended his campaign, McCain has the nomination and Paul is such a right wing freak that he could never get elected anyway.

I don't see Obama as a "gun-grabber," all the Dems are for a waiting period on guns, as are most reasonable people.

CFR?  I don’t get it - oh, right, they are the boogeyman for conspiracy theorists.

Volitzer, why do you keep pushing this guy when he is already out of the race??

Report Spam   Logged

"Some men see things the way they are and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not." - Robert F. Kennedy
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 05:51:43 pm »

The only thing Ron Paul suspended was his campaigning and traveling cuz it is costly.

He is still on the ballot for President and hasn't bowed out like Huckabee.

Watch the ENDGAME movie and see the Rockefeller connection to the CFR, and the Trilateral Commission.  The NWO isn't stuff of conspiracy theorists but actual documented history.

David Rockefeller wrote in books how he wants to destroy the America and bring in the NAU.  The CFR is a David Rockefeller organization.  Why can't you make the connections.

But you won't watch it on www.video.google.com or get it on DVD.

See you in the FEMA Camps.  Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Adrienne
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 12:06:08 pm »

Posted: 02:26 PM ET

Listen to Bill Scheider’s analysis and Clinton's misspoken comments.

(CNN) — Sen. Hillary Clinton said she "misspoke" last week when she gave a dramatic description of her arrival in Bosnia 12 years ago, recounting a landing under sniper fire.

Clinton was responding to a question Monday from the Philadelphia Daily News' editorial board about video footage of the event that contradicted her assertion that her group "ran with our heads down" from the plane to avoid sniper fire at the Tuzla Air Base, Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Tommy Vietor, a spokesman for rival Sen. Barack Obama's campaign, said the Bosnia claim was part of "a growing list of instances in which Sen. Clinton has exaggerated her role in foreign and domestic policymaking."
Clinton told the paper's editorial board it was a "minor blip."
Related: Watch Clinton speak last December about her trip to Bosnia
Full story
Filed under: Hillary Clinton

Report Spam   Logged

"In a monarchy, the king is law, in a democracy, the law is king."
-Thomas Paine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: