Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 08:12:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists to drill beneath oceans
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,8063.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

How to Build a Pyramid

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Build a Pyramid  (Read 8255 times)
iwannano

« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2009, 12:34:24 pm »

I am in Hawaii at the pacific missle range installing a fuel cell. This particular fuel cell has 2 components that weigh in at 37,000 and 32,000 pounds. We used a 100 ton crane to lift them. That seems like overkill but crane capacity de-rates the further the boom gets from vertical. It may have been possible to assemble enough men to pull on enough ropes to lift a 50 ton stone but to swing it into position would require a machine with the ability to lock the load, pivot and slowly lower the load. It would have to have a massive counterweight to balance as it did all the above.
Once my 32,000 pounds parts was on the slab and the crane was gone we realized it was 2" off the mark(rookie using the aligning tool). Smooth concrete, 3 fairly in shape old guys and 3 six foot long pry bars and nothing moved. We were only trying to scoot a single corner at a time and it didn't budge. I hooked up a length of chain to our truck and although it couldn't budge it it did provide tension that along with the pry bars we we able to scoot the machine about a 1/4" at a time.
I mention all of this because the logistics of trying to place a 50 ton stone using timber poles, rollers and rope blow my mind. How did they get the rollers out from under the stones? Where did all the guys stand to pry the stone into perfect alignment?
I did install a 40000 pound fuel cell in the basement of the post office in DC. Once lowered by crane we did use rollers to to move it about 100' to it's final resting place. Again this was smooth concrete, steel rollers and only 40000 pounds and we struggled when one roller got hung up on a dime that was dropped on the floor. Granted larger diameter rollers make it easier to overcome the unevenness of the ground but the timber rollers would have had to be pretty round and light enough for a couple of guys to move it from the back to the front.
I think part of our challenge should be having two additional crews using todays technology, one moving stones and one casting, using concrete. In fact if the challenge was just using todays technology it would shed some light on the extreme difficulty of using either of these techniques 4000 years ago.

Maybe CBS will put this on in place of "survivor".
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: