Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 06:57:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Worst theories & books on Atlantis

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst theories & books on Atlantis  (Read 5413 times)
Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 09:49:05 pm »

Riven

Member # 1495

posted 06-25-2004 11:40 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Erick;
Those Oxford Indy boots will come in handy with your running away from Atlantis.

Say what you like, there is no Academic Scholar in this world that could embarass me, I am my own man. Self taught,Self disciplined.

Not once have I said that my theories are right and that I would go as far to write Academia on my theories which I would argue are correct. They are just theories not facts that I have yet to address only when I am certain. Which neither I nor yourselves are as well. The last thing I woud do would be to write Harvard or Oxford, thanks. I'd rather preserve the legend if you don't mind, rather than put on a monkey suit. We know about their history keeping.

I would not embarass myself that way, we already have enough altered translations. I wouldn't want mine altered, thanks.

The reason you don't even have a clue about Araklum is because you don't bother to reply, or you detest my theories which is only research that I post freely, with no expectation other than to help us in our search for Atlantis. Which I look forward to learning from my mistakes.

Seems like your great mistake lies in the suffix of the word rather than the prefix, such as tlao. And yet you relate this word of Atlas to Egypt and Greece instead of thinking it may have come from Western Africa originally, where the theory of Atlas's origin lies also and the Atlantic which I'm sure you've pondered over before. Where did the Greeks get the word At la s from?, or At he na? Sure doesn't seem to lie in the ending of the word does it, rather in the beginning. AT. Then you can add the different endings like Lant, Las, tis,tic, oll, etc.

Ever wonder why the 40000 bC advanced Culture in that region was called the ATerians? Why would Herodotus call them Atalantes? Because the prefixes of words are native to their surroundings like GD in Iberia and AT in West Africa. Their real names aren't from Egypt or Turkey where we have KE or KHa.

For all you know Atlas could also mean Father's Son according to studies on that side of the Earth and words such as Ait which I've uncovered and are closer to this region and the Basques,Berbers, Tuaregs and Atlantis, like Atar.

Not once do I see anyone mention the word "grove" in relation to Leucippe which is also part of her meaning and how on earth you get Cleito to mean a wall or back wall is beyond me. I'll stick to emperor's favorite, thanks. Just because the word means something in Egyptian, it still doesn't tell us the true word in Atlantean!

You would have been one of the last persons I thought would dismiss Atlantis, in my disappointment Erick, I think your kind of putting the cart before the horse. A while ago in one of your threads you posted on defensive arguments for Atlantis and how we should bear this in mind when we defend the story.

Now your giving up based on "Who's conforming who's theory?" In how may places can you find the word Gades? Agadez,Libya,Gabes,Tunisia, Ghadira,Malta etc. Can you be so sure? Not to mention the other similiarities in Indonesia,Sanskrit, India and S.America, America where we can also find root words. Should you really base it on an Egyptian or Greek Translation without certainty?

Oh, I get your theory, "the Sea Peoples of 1200 bc was the Atlantean story but they didn't exist theory".

Right. Meanwhile the Greatest battle of that time was Troy not to mention Sea Peoples were invading Egypt a thousand years before as a matter of fact.

Can you say for certain that the words your translating are the right words? Did the word Atlas originate there?

Don't you think you should give it some more thought?

Since your envy focus's on yourself, maybe you'll understand how in Atlantis risen 570 bC thread, we have Araklum coming from the Etruscans in their mention of Greece. Since you are oblivious to this, I guess you answered my question which was if you had come across this word in your studies.

Well I guess there's no hope in your valuable research for any more questions.

Good luck and don't forget to tie your shoelaces so you don't embarass yourself in the halls of Academia.

That's right, just tell them what they want to hear.

Be a good monkey.

Doesn't it suck laying there at night looking up at the ceiling wondering if your Wright? Wanting to convince yourself without a doubt?

If only we had the real answers Erick. I don't think nows the time.

At least wait until the Girrard/ Sarmast expeditions are over. Maybe they will uncover something new? Some new hope? A new Lead?

Haven't other Sea People theories as Atlantis already been proposed to the melon heads?

[This message has been edited by Riven (edited 06-25-2004).]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 4078 | From: Azores Atlantis Isles. | Registered: May 2003   
Report Spam   Logged

"This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together..."
Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 09:49:29 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 06-25-2004 11:46 PM                       
Erick, yes some of us do agree that Atlantis was not the true name, however how do you explain Plato`s account of a city that sank in one night and one day?
Posts: 7938 | From: toledo .ohio | Registered: Mar 2000   
Report Spam   Logged

"This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together..."
Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 09:49:46 pm »

Riven

Member # 1495

posted 06-25-2004 11:58 PM                       
Magii Rajesh;

Thank you very much for your input. Let's go back to Araklum in 570 bC, Atlantis Risen thread to continue this topic.
Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 09:50:05 pm »

Jiri Mruzek
Member # 2016

Rate Member   posted 06-26-2004 03:29 AM                       
Ideo,
did the gunman look like the real thing to you, and did you make out any of the craft in the other picture? Just curious.
About those Sea Peoples - they were relatively recent history to the Egyptian priests, whose records on the subject were surely still complete in Solon's time. The Egyptian records went back 8 millenia. Did they? Well, if not 8 millenia, almost three millenia of record keeping would not be out of the question, starting about a millenium before the dynastic period. Surely, any people who could build the Great Pyramid would have known writing well before then.
OK, let's accept at face value that the Egyptian temples kept written records. Good. Now, if those records were let's say 3,000 years old, why would the priests need to lie to improve the already impressive truth? So, knowing that they had records, and that those records were hoary with eons, why not take the 8,000 years at face value?

Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 09:50:55 pm »

atalante
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
   posted 06-26-2004 04:04 AM                       
Erick,
I wish you good luck with your peer-review article. I have always expected you to get published, one way or another.
Perhaps we could say you are supporting/defending a "Medinet Habu" theory of Atlantis.

quote from: http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/habu.htm
The ancient Egyptian name for Medinet Habu (in Arabic the "City of Habu"), was Djamet, meaning "males and mothers." Its holy ground was believed to be where the Ogdoad, the four pairs of first primeval gods, were buried.

[This message has been edited by atalante (edited 06-26-2004).]

Posts: 2423 | From: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2003   
Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2008, 09:51:21 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 06-26-2004 06:55 AM                       
Atlante, a question, it seems even historians don`t know where the sea people came from.Groups of people that were gathered up to fight this war with the egyptians.So why do the egyptian or historians call this war (libyans and the sea people) lydia is a whole different name.Who were really the libya tribes with a connection to the Berger tribes? The head of the whole sh-bang  Smiley
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/seapeople.htm

Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2008, 09:51:42 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 06-26-2004 07:22 AM                       
The name Libya originates from a name by which the ancient Egyptians knew a particular Berber tribe, Libo. The Greeks used the name Libya to apply to most of North Africa.
http://www.worldinfozone.com/facts.php?country=Libya
http://www.barca.fsnet.co.uk/Berbers.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2008, 09:52:04 pm »

Riven

Member # 1495

posted 06-26-2004 11:55 AM                       
That's a good point Docyabut, regarding Libya which we seem to understand that it came from the Berbers.
If we were to try to translate it into Greek or Egyptian it probably wouldn't lead us to the Berbers. But if we look at the origin of the word we have better meaning and understanding, such as Atlas.

Critias in his narrative also mentioned that Atlantis was larger than Libya and Asia, or greater than for the other theorists. This statement also tells us that Atlantis was not in Africa or Asia originally. But yet we see the root AT coming onto the Western coast of Africa from Atlantis to Atlantic to Aterians to Atlas and into Atalantes as described by Herodotus,later to be adopted by the Greeks in their narrative of Atlas and Athena who we also relate to Libya. Which seems clear to me that as the Story describes Atlas as the first Son that it also notes the first migration that coincides with the onset of Atlantean control over the mediterranean.

In light of this, perhaps it could be conclusive that the Lake Tritionis region was a main Garrison for Atlantis to control the mediterranean and surrounding countries away from home after their demise. On the North side I lean more towards Italy,Sardinia and Sicily as strongholds after 5000 bC. Gadeiros was probably wiped out beforehand by impending disasters along with Atlantis on the western coast. In light of this we have Atlantis sinking at a time frame from 9600 bC to 6000 bC with the remaining settlements eventually losing their control upto 3000 bC and no later than 1000 bC where some of the Tribes that the Greeks and Egyptians fought could have been ancestors of the Atlanteans like some members of the Sea Peoples(1200-3000 bC) or Libyans, Etruscans for example.

Perhaps it was Atlantean bloodlines that built the Temples in Malta and onward to Egypt between 5-2800 bC.

So even though Atlantis sank and we know that they controlled the mediterranean, it seems obvious that their ancestors still remained for a period afterwards.

Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2008, 09:52:28 pm »

atalante
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
   posted 06-26-2004 01:17 PM                       
Docyabut,
You asked about the Sea Peoples (and Libyans).
I think we are off-topic here. But this is a very remarkable link, about how southern Italy started to be populated, beginning 1800 BC. http://www.arcaini.com/ITALY/ItalyHistory/OriginNameItaly.htm

There was a group in Italy called the Pelasgi, who were sailors. They are basically the same peple whom Greeks called Pelasgians. One of their great leaders was Oenotreus who led people west to Italy from the Peloponese of Greece.

Greek myth tells us that, when the Mycenaens began seizing and settling the northeastern Peloponese, Zeus went to war with the older Arcadian people, and their "evil" king Lycaon 2.

In my opinion, it was the Mycenaen destruction of the homeland of these Pelasgians/Pelasgi which converted them into a loose association of
Sea Pirates (which modern historians call the Sea Peoples).

Posts: 2423 | From: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2003   
Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2008, 09:53:30 pm »

Erick Wright

Member # 1145

Member Rated:
   posted 06-26-2004 03:28 PM                       
Docyabut,

quote:
...how do you explain Plato`s account of a city that sank in one night and one day?

I don't. I don't need to. The story has already been proven to have been a work of fiction.

quote:
...it seems even historians don`t know where the sea people came from.Groups of people that were gathered up to fight this war with the egyptians.So why do the egyptian or historians call this war (libyans and the sea people) lydia is a whole different name.Who were really the libya tribes with a connection to the Berger tribes?

Actually, they do have a very good idea as to who the participants were and from whence they originated. The majority of the Sea Peoples were from Anatolia and were members of a group called the Assuwa or Arzuwa League. Several of the Assuwa League's members were allied with the Trojans aginst the Mycenaeans at Troy. Other tribes of Sea Peoples, such as the Philistines, are known to have come from somewhere in the Aegean, but the 'smoking gun' that would conclusively prove their exact place of origin has yet to surface. Most of the evidence seems to point to Crete right now.

Lydia was a country on the southwest corner of Anatolia, and the Egyptians called the people who lived there around 1200 BC the Lukka. They were one of the invading Sea Peoples tribes.

The Berbers are the modern descendants of the ancient Libyans - called the Libu by the ancient Egyptians.

Atalante,

Thank you for the wishes of good luck.

Jiri,

The Egyptian archaeological record shows the Egyptians of around 9,000 BC to have been semi-nomadic, and no written records have yet been found that date back further than 3,500 BC. Rock art, yes, but no writings of any kind. That is why we cannot take the 8,000 years thing at face value.

Riven,

quote:
Those Oxford Indy boots will come in handy with your running away from Atlantis.

The only one running here is you, Riven; you're running from what you know in your heart of hearts to be the truth, but what you want least in the world to acknowledge. Tell me, Riven, what will you do when all of the irrefutable evidence is out there in print? Will you acknowledge it and accept the truth, or will you run away from it like scared little girl and continue pretending?

quote:
Say what you like, there is no Academic Scholar in this world that could embarass me, I am my own man. Self taught,Self disciplined.

It wasn't a statement, Riven, it was a question. I was merely trying to find out what happened in your life to make you so hateful towards academics.

quote:
Not once have I said that my theories are right and that I would go as far to write Academia on my theories which I would argue are correct.

If you would argue that your theories are correct, then why not argue your theories with academic scholars?

quote:
The last thing I woud do would be to write Harvard or Oxford, thanks. I'd rather preserve the legend if you don't mind, rather than put on a monkey suit.

Oh. O.K. Now I understand. You would rather keep the legend alive rather than seek-out the truth of it all. Apparently the truth is just no fun for you. It does help to explain most of your theories, though, so thank you for that.

quote:
The reason you don't even have a clue about Araklum is because you don't bother to reply...

Riven, you seem to going on the assumption that I even remember you asking me the question, or that I have even read the question, which I don't, and I'm not sure that I have.

quote:
Seems like your great mistake lies in the suffix of the word rather than the prefix, such as tlao. And yet you relate this word of Atlas to Egypt and Greece instead of thinking it may have come from Western Africa originally, where the theory of Atlas's origin lies also and the Atlantic which I'm sure you've pondered over before. Where did the Greeks get the word At la s from?, or At he na? Sure doesn't seem to lie in the ending of the word does it, rather in the beginning. AT. Then you can add the different endings like Lant, Las, tis,tic, oll, etc.

Actually, Riven, it lies in the ROOT of the word. Apparently you didn't understand a word of my past posting, because I just got finished explaining the etymology of the word Atlas.

O.K., now I have to tell you, your stuff about "At he na", that's great stuff; you should take that act on the road. This is why I said that you really need to learn a little bit about the Greek language and culture. First of all, your understanding of the language being limited is evidenced by the fact that your breakdown of the word Athena into "At he na" completely ignores the spelling of her name in the Greek language. We derive Athena in the English because the second letter of her name, the theta, has a 'th' sound, such as in the word thin. While it is true that the ancient pronunciation of the 'th' sound was more like the sound found in the words hot house, it does not mean that it is allowable to split the two letters from which the sound is derived in order to make new root words. In essence, what you have done is to take the Greek letter 'theta' and split it in half! The actual root of the name Athena is 'theios', which means "divine". Once again, the 'A' is euphonic (i.e. pleasant sounding). Athens (ancient Greek Athenai or Athinai) is derived from the name of their patron goddess Athene or Athena. The city of Athens is quite simply "Athena's city", or "the divine city".

quote:
Ever wonder why the 40000 bC advanced Culture in that region was called the ATerians?

No, because I understand that the word aterian is French and was derived from the arabic name of the city Bir-el-Ater, Algeria, near where the barbed or tanged arrowheads that characterized that upper paleolithic culture were found.

quote:
Why would Herodotus call them Atalantes?

Do I really have to explain the word Atalantes to you again?

quote:
For all you know Atlas could also mean Father's Son according to studies on that side of the Earth and words such as Ait which I've uncovered and are closer to this region and the Basques,Berbers, Tuaregs and Atlantis, like Atar.

Actually, it is known that Atlas is a Greek word; it was used in the Greek texts long before Plato wrote his Atlantis story. The etymology of the word is really not in question.

quote:
Not once do I see anyone mention the word "grove" in relation to Leucippe which is also part of her meaning...

Uh, in Greek it certainly isn't, my good man. Leucippe is a compound word derived from the two root words leukos (white) and hippos (horse), just as hippopotamus is a compound word derived from the two root words hippos (horse) and potamus (river) which gives us "river horse".

quote:
...and how on earth you get Cleito to mean a wall or back wall is beyond me.

The same way I found the true meanings of all the other names. I found that Cleito means 'celebrated' in Greek. I then reverse-translated the word 'celebrated' into the Egyptian hieroglyphic language. I then used the same word that had a different meaning (i.e. a homograph). Are you really not understanding the process or are you just trying to be difficult?

quote:
Just because the word means something in Egyptian, it still doesn't tell us the true word in Atlantean!

Please pick up your Greek version of the text and find for me the word 'Atlantean', in Greek, in that particular passage (Critias 113a).

quote:
You would have been one of the last persons I thought would dismiss Atlantis..

I know, I used to think so too.

quote:
A while ago in one of your threads you posted on defensive arguments for Atlantis and how we should bear this in mind when we defend the story.

Yes, I did. So, don't you think that I must have had a pretty important revelation to change my tune from "it could have existed" to "it never existed"? Think about it.

quote:
Now your giving up based on "Who's conforming who's theory?"

No, and I'm not really sure I even understand the question, but no, nonetheless.

quote:
In how may places can you find the word Gades? Agadez,Libya,Gabes,Tunisia, Ghadira,Malta etc. Can you be so sure? Not to mention the other similiarities in Indonesia,Sanskrit, India and S.America, America where we can also find root words.

Yes, I can be so sure. Just because two different languages from across the world might happen to have similar looking and sounding root words, it doesn't necessarily have any importance. What must always be considered is the etymology of the words. How were they used? What did they mean? How were they developed? Etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum.

quote:
Should you really base it on an Egyptian or Greek Translation without certainty?

I wasn't certain when I began the translations, however, the results have convinced me that my hypothesis was correct, and the process is such that anyone can derive the same results from it. In other words, it is a hypothesis that can be independently tested and confirmed - a necessity in the academic and scientific world.

quote:
Oh, I get your theory, "the Sea Peoples of 1200 bc was the Atlantean story but they didn't exist theory".

Well, then apparently you don't get my theory. The Sea Peoples existed, but Plato's 9,000 year old, lost, sunken, continent/island did not. It was a fictional creation.

quote:
Meanwhile the Greatest battle of that time was Troy...

Some of the participants of the Trojan War were also participants in the (attempted) invasion of Egypt.

quote:
...not to mention Sea Peoples were invading Egypt a thousand years before as a matter of fact.

Uh, I'm afraid not, Riven. Some of the Sea Peoples tribes were known to the Egyptians 250 years earlier, but not 1,000 years. If you're thinking of the Hyksos, you're thinking of a different people.

quote:
Can you say for certain that the words your translating are the right words? Did the word Atlas originate there?

Yes, and did the word Atlas originate where? Regardless of your answer, I believe that I touched upon this earlier in my response.

quote:
Don't you think you should give it some more thought?

My results speak for themselves.

quote:
Since your envy focus's on yourself...

Huh???

quote:
...maybe you'll understand how in Atlantis risen 570 bC thread, we have Araklum coming from the Etruscans in their mention of Greece. Since you are oblivious to this, I guess you answered my question which was if you had come across this word in your studies.

Not in relation to Atlantis, no.

quote:
Well I guess there's no hope in your valuable research for any more questions.
Good luck and don't forget to tie your shoelaces so you don't embarass yourself in the halls of Academia.

That's right, just tell them what they want to hear.

Be a good monkey.

Again with the bitterness, Riven? Why so? Why don't you try arguing the points of the theory, rather than just insulting me and calling me names? Can't you come up with any good arguments?

quote:
Doesn't it suck laying there at night looking up at the ceiling wondering if your Wright?

You probably meant to ask "...if you're right?" To answer your question the way it was written, however, I would have to say "No, not really, because I know I am Wright. It's my name."

quote:
At least wait until the Girrard/ Sarmast expeditions are over. Maybe they will uncover something new? Some new hope? A new Lead?

I believe that I can say with the utmost confidence that they will not find anything of importance relating to the topic of Atlantis, and neither will Georgeos. That is not to say that they won't find anything of importance, just that it won't have any relevance or bearing on the topic of Atlantis - unless, of course, it would count as where not to look.

quote:
Haven't other Sea People theories as Atlantis already been proposed to the melon heads?

Other scholars have proposed the theory of an Atlantis story/Sea Peoples story connection, however, they have been unable to provide substantive evidence from the text itself that would support it. That is what my research has done that is different.

Riven, in the future please do try and be a little less bitter, won't you?

Warm Regards,

Erick

------------------
"None of the secrets of success will work unless YOU do."

[This message has been edited by Erick Wright (edited 06-27-2004).]

Posts: 770 | From: Columbus, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 2002
Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2008, 09:54:26 pm »

bluducky

Member # 1880

Member Rated:
   posted 06-26-2004 04:59 PM                       
.... Children... you can't escape 'em...
Erick:

quote:
 The Egyptian archaeological record shows the Egyptians of around 9,000 BC to have been semi-nomadic, and no written records have yet been found that date back further than 3,500 BC. Pictographs, yes, but no writings of any kind. That is why we cannot take the 8,000 years thing at face value.

Again, This is an assumption.
Just because there haven't been dated any pre-3,500 BC writings does NOT make them nomads -- This is opinion, NOT fact.

And due to the lack of accuracy in dating methods, who is to say that 9,000 BC couldn't have been 15,000 BC? There are too many things to take into consideration.

Where did you get this info?

Posts: 1626 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2004   
Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2008, 09:55:01 pm »

atalante
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
   posted 06-26-2004 05:50 PM                       
Erick,
I think I understand the process you are using in your peer review paper.
But wouldn't it be more accurate to say that you are using "homographs" (rather than metaphors)? http://www.sil.org/linguistics/GlossaryOfLinguisticTerms/WhatIsAHomograph.htm

Here is the way a metaphor is explained (using the example of anger-as-fire):

After the argument, Dave was smoldering for days. http://www.sil.org/linguistics/GlossaryOfLinguisticTerms/WhatIsAMetaphor.htm

Posts: 2461 | From: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2003   
Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2008, 09:55:39 pm »

Brig

Administrator
Member # 802

posted 06-26-2004 06:17 PM                       
I think Eric Wright should have stuck to cabinet making. A Professor, he is not. I have nothing against the self taught; however, I guess spouting the official line is about the only way an amateur has of being published in a professional journal.
Posts: 10428 | From: Old Washington, Ohio , USA | Registered: Apr 2002   
Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2008, 09:56:08 pm »

Erick Wright

Member # 1145

Member Rated:
   posted 06-26-2004 06:23 PM                       
Bluducky,
No, they're not really assumptions. They are the recorded observations of the Archaeologists, Egyptologists, Geologists, Climatologists, and every other 'ists' to have studied in that area. Those observations have been studied and compared against known factors from elsewhere and from during different time periods when writings were in existence to back up the empirical data, and hypothesis formed based upon that wealth of information collected from all over the world. Those hypothesis have been time tested and have grown to become full-blown theories, which will stand until and unless some sort of evidence comes along that can 'unseat' the current theory. As of this time, no evidence has come along that has been able to do so, therefore the current theory prevails.

Regarding Egypt during the Late Palaeolithic, once again, rock art has been found, but nothing that would suggest that any form of writing had yet developed. In fact, there seems to have been a hiatus in the occupation of the Nile Valley from around 9,000-6,000 BC, since no human presence has been attested in Egypt during that time period - with the limited exception of a group of very small Arkinian sites in the region of the second cataract at around 7,400 BC. This might be due to the increased rainfall in the Western Desert at that time (still only about 100-200 mm per year & all of which probably fell during the brief summer period), when we see people returning there at around 9,300 BC - a time referred to as the Holocene Wet Phase. The inhabitants were seminomadic and, again, no evidence of writing of any kind.

Please remember bluducky, dating methods have always included a percentage of error (i.e. plus or minus some percentage), and the newer and wider variety of dating methods used today pretty much negates the "dating error" arguments.

My information has come from a variety of sources that all seem to support each other - one of which is The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt, edited by Ian Shaw (University of Liverpool), (Oxford University Press, 2000).

Why is everyone here so eager to dismiss the veritable mountains of information, compiled over the course of centuries, and studied and pored over by countless thousands of scientists? What needs to be taken into consideration by the people in this forum are the results of all of the scientific tests that have been performed over the last 100 years or so - results and tests of which most of the people in this forum are ignorant of. If a person wishes to put forth a theory that "flies in the face of" all of the carefully collected, tested, and studied data that has been compiled, then they had better have some very impressive and incredible data to back-up that theory. That is how the real world works.

Warm Regards,

Erick

------------------

Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2008, 09:56:38 pm »

Erick Wright

Member # 1145

Member Rated:
   posted 06-26-2004 06:37 PM                       
Atalante,
I believe that you may just be correct on that point. Thank you!

I will definitely make sure that you receive some sort of acknowledgement for this somehow.

Thankfully, I had brains enough (just barely) to not use the word metaphor in my paper. I used the phrase "to use in a changed sense". I had a feeling that metaphor wasn't the correct terminology, but I just didn't know what to call it, so I used the definition of the word metenanochotas found in the Greek-English Lexicon. Now that I do know the correct word, I can send a correction to the HJCP.

Thanks again!

Warm Regards,

Erick

------------------

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: