Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 07:31:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Worst theories & books on Atlantis

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst theories & books on Atlantis  (Read 5381 times)
Helios
Superhero Member

« on: March 13, 2008, 09:34:06 pm »

This happens to be one of my personal favorites of the old threads, I'll print it here for all to enjoy:

Psycho

Member # 2035

posted 06-24-2004 11:03 AM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all, I saw the topic here on voting for Atlantis theories and thought it might be worth it to go at it from a different angle.
Instead of the best ones, which are the worst ones..?

1. The one that first sticks out for me is the Atlantis on another world theory, which seems to be what Alad Alford is saying in his book, "The Atlantis Secret."

2. Santorini/Thera seems get a lot of respect in the science community, but no one seems to have mentioned it here...with good reason!

3. Atlantis on Mars (I don't know who to credit with that one, but you have to admit, it's pretty bad).

4. Atlantis in Indonesia (oh, come on!)

5. Atlantis was a million years old (the credit for that one lies purely in the hands of Rudolph Steiner).

6. Atlanteans were the third of seven or so root races, one of which were their predecessors, the Lemurians, who were big apelike creatures that ran around with three eyes, inbreeding with each other. (Madame Blavatsky is ready for her close-up).

7. The Atlanteans had crystals (per Edgar Cayce). Those darn crystals have done more to put Atlantis into the "New Age" realm than anything else. You won't find any New Agers claiming the Sumerians as their lost paradise...no crystals!

8. The Atlanteans had guns. (Ignatius Donnelly wrote one of the most respected books on Atlantis, but no, no, no, no evidence of them ever having guns.)

9. The Atlanteans had flying machines and got into wars with the ancient Indians with them. (Where oh where is the evidence..?)

10. The Atlanteans had contact with ancient races or were themselves from another world. (I think that one speaks for itself).

Feel free to vote, or to nominate any other theory, book or author to the list. These are some of the things that have done the most damage to the cause of Atlantology over the years, people, and they haven't gotten their just desserts until now, so feel free to tee off..!

It's theories like this that have put Atlantean research right where it is now (well, except for Santorini, which is still considered "respectable"), a fringe topic people tend to place alongside Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster!! I happen to like creepy, unexplained things like that, but Atlantis should not belong there. It should be a topic of genuine research that a university can spend money looking for without a lot of questions asked, or researcher can tackle without having to ruin his career!

Anyone can also feel free to make a case why something shouldn't be on the list, too. Look at me as a prosecuting attorney and all these things have just been arrested for murder. Unless someone out there can save them, I'll be asking for the death penalty...

------------------
"Wouldn't hurt a fly..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forums.atlantisrising.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000901#000000
Report Spam   Logged

"This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together..."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:34:28 pm »

bluducky

Member # 1880

Member Rated:
   posted 06-24-2004 03:53 PM                       
Hmm, I'm not going to say which is worst/best, as noone knows for sure what is fiction and what is not.
I WOULD like to say that, even though, as you claim, there is no evidence of the Atlanteans having flying machines/guns, there ARE Indian records of such things, so, i wouldn't rule it out; 'out there' or not.

Posts: 1626 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2004   
Report Spam   Logged

"This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together..."
Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:34:53 pm »

Brig

Administrator
Member # 802

Rate Member   posted 06-24-2004 05:40 PM                       
Do you suppose Sarmast, Georgeo, Girard, Wright, Kuhne, National Geographic, might come up with an answer this summer and make this forum moot? Stranger things have happened. But I'm sure, if one of them comes up with an Atlantis City limits sign  (proof positive, I'm meaning) there will still be several on this site who'll want to argue about it.
Posts: 9904 | From: Old Washington, Ohio , USA | Registered: Apr 2002   
Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:35:14 pm »

Erick Wright

Member # 1145

Member Rated:
   posted 06-24-2004 06:14 PM                       
Brig,
You're statement is almost prophetic. My academic peer-review journal article has already been sent to the Harvard Journal of Classical Philology for review. At the end of the article I have invited any and all philologists, historians, and Egyptologists to attempt to refute the results of my research.

In the article I reveal how the 14 names contained within the Atlantis story are nothing more than homographs in the Egyptian hieroglyphic language. When it was found what the homographs were actually representative of (again, in the Egyptian hieroglyphic language), it is revealed that the Atlantis story is nothing but a work of fiction and that no city of Atlantis ever existed. In essence, Solon used the details from the story of the Invasions of the Libyans & Sea Peoples of ca. 1200 BC to create the fictional names of the characters and the place-names found in the Atlantis story. In fact, even the place-names found in the Atlantis story are shown to be directly linked to the homographs created in the Egyptian hieroglyphic language. He then used those names & place-names as a foundation for the creation of a fictional piece of work. It is not yet known (nor may it ever be) whether Plato was actually aware of the story's fictional nature, or whether he was simply repeating a story that had been told to him - or, for that matter, whether he in some way participated in, or contributed to, some of the elements of the story.

Of one thing I can assure you, though, and that is that the "Santorini as Atlantis" theory will fall out of favor with academics & scholars this year. In the article all of my work is based on the etymology of the words and I cited specific examples for each. I was also able to tie each name with its specific inscription and on a specific wall of the mortuary temple of Ramesses III at Medinet Habu. So, although I'm sure many here will argue otherwise, the Atlantis mystery has already been solved.

I'm sure that you all had to have noticed that neither Georgeos or Maria has been posting here ever since I published my posting of the etymology and homographical reference to the word/name Leucippe? Why do you suppose that is? I'm fairly certain that I know what that reason is.

When I hear back as to the publication date of the article I will post it here so that you can all send off for a copy.

Warm Regards,

Erick W. Wright

------------------
"None of the secrets of success will work unless YOU do."

[This message has been edited by Erick Wright (edited 06-27-2004).]

Posts: 770 | From: Columbus, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 2002   
Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:35:37 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 06-24-2004 07:51 PM                       
Erick what about the city of rings? Was that all in Solon imagination to? Rock art of the rings are found all over the northen world. I still think Atlantis was part of Tartessus.

http://digilander.libero.it/theghost63/Tartessus/Tartessus_eng.htm

Posts: 7938 | From: toledo .ohio | Registered: Mar 2000   

Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:35:58 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 06-24-2004 08:30 PM                       
http://www.tolos.de/atlantis1.E.htm

Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:36:18 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 06-24-2004 08:32 PM                       
however, good luck on your paper  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:36:40 pm »

Absonite

Member # 1766

posted 06-24-2004 09:15 PM                       
docyabut,
the 3 concentric circles have been appearing since the beginning of mankind and for good reason.
Urantia
PAPER 93 - MACHIVENTA MELCHIZEDEK,

* line 46: In personal appearance, Melchizedek resembled the then blended Nodite and Sumerian peoples, being almost six feet in height and possessing a commanding presence. He spoke Chaldean and a half dozen other languages. He dressed much as did the Canaanite priests except that on his breast he wore an emblem of three concentric circles, the Satania symbol of the Paradise Trinity. In the course of his ministry this insignia of three concentric circles became regarded as so sacred by his followers that they never dared to use it, and it was soon forgotten with the passing of a few generations.

* line 59: The symbol of the three concentric circles, which Melchizedek adopted as the insignia of his bestowal, a majority of the people interpreted as standing for the three kingdoms of men, angels, and God. And they were allowed to continue in that belief; very few of his followers ever knew that these three circles were emblematic of the infinity, eternity, and universality of the Paradise Trinity of divine maintenance and direction;

PAPER 104 - GROWTH OF THE TRINITY CONCEPT,

* line 35: The third presentation of the Trinity was made by Machiventa Melchizedek, and this doctrine was symbolized by the three concentric circles which the sage of Salem wore on his breast plate.

PAPER 53 - THE LUCIFER REBELLION,

* line 90:
the banner of Michael, the material emblem of the Trinity government of all creation, the three azure blue concentric circles on a white background.

Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 09:37:07 pm »

Catastrophe
Member # 894

Rate Member   posted 06-24-2004 10:48 PM                       
"4. Atlantis in Indonesia (oh, come on!)"
Zia Abbas' idea (I won't grace it with the word theory) has to be the most ridiculous ever - complete with hollow earth and reptilian president.

Sarmast's runs it a close second IMO - 5 million year old Atlantis in completely the wrong place.

Wink

Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 09:38:25 pm »

atalante
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
   posted 06-24-2004 10:52 PM                       
Docyabut,
In one of the last links which you posted, I noticed a chronological jewel.
quote, regarding Tartessos,
"Jona tried there to go by ship. Salomon also sent ships to it."
endquote

Biblical King Solomon lived around 950 BC, which was earlier than any historical Phoenician remains from the western Mediterranean.

[This message has been edited by atalante (edited 06-24-2004).]

Posts: 2423 | From: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2003   
Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 09:38:49 pm »

dhill757

Member # 1890

Member Rated:
   posted 06-25-2004 01:21 AM                       
Erick,
Looking forward to reading your article and the corresponding acid test it will be put through.
Why haven't Maria/Georgeos posted here since "Leucippe", is someone perhaps sucking the marrow out of your work..?

About the theories, I agree with most of them and would also like to add that Hollywood has also done a lot of bad Atlantis work, too, that has perpetuated the image. Crash Corrigan's "Undersea Kingdom" was very bad, along with the even more horrible "Man From Atlantis." There has yet to be a decent screen treatment on Atlantis. Dino de Laurentis was planning one back around 1990, but abandoned it.

When I was younger, I used to read comic books. Both the comic books "Aquaman" and the "Submariner" are set in Atlantis, and each one is a pretty campy treatment. In "Submariner", the Atlanteans are all blue-skinned. You don't how badly some of this stuff has gotten out of hand until you go back to the original source, Plato.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 09:40:02 pm by Helios » Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 09:39:24 pm »

Riven

Member # 1495

posted 06-25-2004 01:38 AM                       
That's pretty good Erick;
First Morroco,then Anatolia and now you give us the Steven Bernard philosophy of NO such thing exists.

Guess you'll be wearing those Oxford shoes soon enough. Are you also considering, if not already, becoming a Freemason and believing you came from Sirius?

Anyone who writes an article demarcating Atlantis would be worthy of mention in the academic field, right?

Easiest way to save Grace, no?

All that hard work to come up empty handed.

Geez,2700 years of work gone down the tubes.

Maybe for all you Oxford Monkies.

Too bad your brain buddies are all looking for Atlantis at the wrong time!

Sea Peoples of 1200 bC, what a joke!!
Sea Peoples have been around forever!

Let me put it to you this way in one word.

INDEPENDENCE.

And another word.

GREAT FLOOD.

All stories relate to this, all stories have humans becoming corrupted and God's inflicting punishment.

All point to an older time GREATER than 5000 bC. Not 2350, not 1500, but 5000 bC.

That is why all you scholars are frustrated and so eager to dismiss Atlantis because you rely solely on what is known rather than what is not known to avoid ridicule and embarassement so you can fit in the political circle like the Government Monkies.

Because it is until we make these UNKNOWN discoveries, which we will, that the monkies go back in their cages.

ALL signs, both Scientificaly, Astrologicaly and Spiritualy point to Atlantis, the legend that once had CONTROL.

Respected Ancient scholars swore to Truth and I will maintain there words.

No matter how inane you all may think I am.

Atlantis will be found someday.

By the way two questions Erick.

Since you've matched these Kings with this Rameses crap, what does the name Atlantis match to?

And;

Still awaiting a reply on Araklum?

Posts: 4078 | From: Azores Atlantis Isles. | Registered: May 2003   

Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 09:40:45 pm »

cydonia

Member # 282

Member Rated:
   posted 06-25-2004 01:45 AM                       
Just a touch of criticism, to one simple sentence of yours....All Atlanteans were not blue, otherwise Namor himself would have been blue. And he wasn't.  Wink He was Whitey. With wings on his feet. And he scrapped with the Fantastic Four a lot. Particularly with The Thing, aka Benjamin Grimm, of The Fantastic Four. Who, it just so happens, has recently been revealed to be a Jew. A Jew Superhero. Call Hamas! Jews and Atlanteans in a brawl to end 'em all!
The Inhumans are just as likely to be the True descendants of the Atlanteans as are the Namor Atlanteans.... Namor spelled backwards is Roman...that's where the name comes from... (I was weened on Marvel Comics)

I'm a comic book geek...  Smiley

Back to our regular programming.

Posts: 3849 | From: colorado, usa | Registered: Dec 2000   
Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 09:41:22 pm »

dhill757

Member # 1890

Member Rated:
   posted 06-25-2004 02:02 AM                       
Riven,
I didn't want to come right out and say it, but I agree totally with you on this. It' a copout to just say Atlantis never existed. No one I know here thinks you're inane, by the way. I've long been of the opinion that you can't either prove or disprove it's existence simply on linguistic evidence alone, especially if you're not even involved in any excavations involving it. It's a lot more "respectable" to the academic community to simply toe the typical scientific line, disavow it, the to stick your neck out and actually claim anything to the contrary. Why even come to the forum in the first place if it's simply to trash it's existence..?

Also, I doubt that anything anyone could come up with anything here that would destroy the Santorini/Thera theory this or any year. Not that I agree with it, but it is so firmly ingrained in the minds of the scientists too lazy to investigate Atlantis that they just commonly accept that as the basis for Plato's "myth."

On the other hand, everyone is entitled to an opinion, I suppose!

Report Spam   Logged

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 09:42:05 pm »

atalante
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
   posted 06-25-2004 03:35 AM                       
I am eager to hear what the name Atlantis means in Eric's new translations.
I assume most people on this forum know that Eric's primary goal has been to have one of his Atlantis papers "published".

Posts: 2423 | From: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2003   
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: