Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 08:49:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Plato's Atlantis: Fact, Fiction or Prophecy?
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=CarolAnn_Bailey-Lloyd
http://www.underwaterarchaeology.com/atlantis-2.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Worst theories & books on Atlantis

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst theories & books on Atlantis  (Read 5448 times)
Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 09:53:30 pm »

Erick Wright

Member # 1145

Member Rated:
   posted 06-26-2004 03:28 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Docyabut,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...how do you explain Plato`s account of a city that sank in one night and one day?

I don't. I don't need to. The story has already been proven to have been a work of fiction.

quote:
...it seems even historians don`t know where the sea people came from.Groups of people that were gathered up to fight this war with the egyptians.So why do the egyptian or historians call this war (libyans and the sea people) lydia is a whole different name.Who were really the libya tribes with a connection to the Berger tribes?

Actually, they do have a very good idea as to who the participants were and from whence they originated. The majority of the Sea Peoples were from Anatolia and were members of a group called the Assuwa or Arzuwa League. Several of the Assuwa League's members were allied with the Trojans aginst the Mycenaeans at Troy. Other tribes of Sea Peoples, such as the Philistines, are known to have come from somewhere in the Aegean, but the 'smoking gun' that would conclusively prove their exact place of origin has yet to surface. Most of the evidence seems to point to Crete right now.

Lydia was a country on the southwest corner of Anatolia, and the Egyptians called the people who lived there around 1200 BC the Lukka. They were one of the invading Sea Peoples tribes.

The Berbers are the modern descendants of the ancient Libyans - called the Libu by the ancient Egyptians.

Atalante,

Thank you for the wishes of good luck.

Jiri,

The Egyptian archaeological record shows the Egyptians of around 9,000 BC to have been semi-nomadic, and no written records have yet been found that date back further than 3,500 BC. Rock art, yes, but no writings of any kind. That is why we cannot take the 8,000 years thing at face value.

Riven,

quote:
Those Oxford Indy boots will come in handy with your running away from Atlantis.

The only one running here is you, Riven; you're running from what you know in your heart of hearts to be the truth, but what you want least in the world to acknowledge. Tell me, Riven, what will you do when all of the irrefutable evidence is out there in print? Will you acknowledge it and accept the truth, or will you run away from it like scared little girl and continue pretending?

quote:
Say what you like, there is no Academic Scholar in this world that could embarass me, I am my own man. Self taught,Self disciplined.

It wasn't a statement, Riven, it was a question. I was merely trying to find out what happened in your life to make you so hateful towards academics.

quote:
Not once have I said that my theories are right and that I would go as far to write Academia on my theories which I would argue are correct.

If you would argue that your theories are correct, then why not argue your theories with academic scholars?

quote:
The last thing I woud do would be to write Harvard or Oxford, thanks. I'd rather preserve the legend if you don't mind, rather than put on a monkey suit.

Oh. O.K. Now I understand. You would rather keep the legend alive rather than seek-out the truth of it all. Apparently the truth is just no fun for you. It does help to explain most of your theories, though, so thank you for that.

quote:
The reason you don't even have a clue about Araklum is because you don't bother to reply...

Riven, you seem to going on the assumption that I even remember you asking me the question, or that I have even read the question, which I don't, and I'm not sure that I have.

quote:
Seems like your great mistake lies in the suffix of the word rather than the prefix, such as tlao. And yet you relate this word of Atlas to Egypt and Greece instead of thinking it may have come from Western Africa originally, where the theory of Atlas's origin lies also and the Atlantic which I'm sure you've pondered over before. Where did the Greeks get the word At la s from?, or At he na? Sure doesn't seem to lie in the ending of the word does it, rather in the beginning. AT. Then you can add the different endings like Lant, Las, tis,tic, oll, etc.

Actually, Riven, it lies in the ROOT of the word. Apparently you didn't understand a word of my past posting, because I just got finished explaining the etymology of the word Atlas.

O.K., now I have to tell you, your stuff about "At he na", that's great stuff; you should take that act on the road. This is why I said that you really need to learn a little bit about the Greek language and culture. First of all, your understanding of the language being limited is evidenced by the fact that your breakdown of the word Athena into "At he na" completely ignores the spelling of her name in the Greek language. We derive Athena in the English because the second letter of her name, the theta, has a 'th' sound, such as in the word thin. While it is true that the ancient pronunciation of the 'th' sound was more like the sound found in the words hot house, it does not mean that it is allowable to split the two letters from which the sound is derived in order to make new root words. In essence, what you have done is to take the Greek letter 'theta' and split it in half! The actual root of the name Athena is 'theios', which means "divine". Once again, the 'A' is euphonic (i.e. pleasant sounding). Athens (ancient Greek Athenai or Athinai) is derived from the name of their patron goddess Athene or Athena. The city of Athens is quite simply "Athena's city", or "the divine city".

quote:
Ever wonder why the 40000 bC advanced Culture in that region was called the ATerians?

No, because I understand that the word aterian is French and was derived from the arabic name of the city Bir-el-Ater, Algeria, near where the barbed or tanged arrowheads that characterized that upper paleolithic culture were found.

quote:
Why would Herodotus call them Atalantes?

Do I really have to explain the word Atalantes to you again?

quote:
For all you know Atlas could also mean Father's Son according to studies on that side of the Earth and words such as Ait which I've uncovered and are closer to this region and the Basques,Berbers, Tuaregs and Atlantis, like Atar.

Actually, it is known that Atlas is a Greek word; it was used in the Greek texts long before Plato wrote his Atlantis story. The etymology of the word is really not in question.

quote:
Not once do I see anyone mention the word "grove" in relation to Leucippe which is also part of her meaning...

Uh, in Greek it certainly isn't, my good man. Leucippe is a compound word derived from the two root words leukos (white) and hippos (horse), just as hippopotamus is a compound word derived from the two root words hippos (horse) and potamus (river) which gives us "river horse".

quote:
...and how on earth you get Cleito to mean a wall or back wall is beyond me.

The same way I found the true meanings of all the other names. I found that Cleito means 'celebrated' in Greek. I then reverse-translated the word 'celebrated' into the Egyptian hieroglyphic language. I then used the same word that had a different meaning (i.e. a homograph). Are you really not understanding the process or are you just trying to be difficult?

quote:
Just because the word means something in Egyptian, it still doesn't tell us the true word in Atlantean!

Please pick up your Greek version of the text and find for me the word 'Atlantean', in Greek, in that particular passage (Critias 113a).

quote:
You would have been one of the last persons I thought would dismiss Atlantis..

I know, I used to think so too.

quote:
A while ago in one of your threads you posted on defensive arguments for Atlantis and how we should bear this in mind when we defend the story.

Yes, I did. So, don't you think that I must have had a pretty important revelation to change my tune from "it could have existed" to "it never existed"? Think about it.

quote:
Now your giving up based on "Who's conforming who's theory?"

No, and I'm not really sure I even understand the question, but no, nonetheless.

quote:
In how may places can you find the word Gades? Agadez,Libya,Gabes,Tunisia, Ghadira,Malta etc. Can you be so sure? Not to mention the other similiarities in Indonesia,Sanskrit, India and S.America, America where we can also find root words.

Yes, I can be so sure. Just because two different languages from across the world might happen to have similar looking and sounding root words, it doesn't necessarily have any importance. What must always be considered is the etymology of the words. How were they used? What did they mean? How were they developed? Etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum.

quote:
Should you really base it on an Egyptian or Greek Translation without certainty?

I wasn't certain when I began the translations, however, the results have convinced me that my hypothesis was correct, and the process is such that anyone can derive the same results from it. In other words, it is a hypothesis that can be independently tested and confirmed - a necessity in the academic and scientific world.

quote:
Oh, I get your theory, "the Sea Peoples of 1200 bc was the Atlantean story but they didn't exist theory".

Well, then apparently you don't get my theory. The Sea Peoples existed, but Plato's 9,000 year old, lost, sunken, continent/island did not. It was a fictional creation.

quote:
Meanwhile the Greatest battle of that time was Troy...

Some of the participants of the Trojan War were also participants in the (attempted) invasion of Egypt.

quote:
...not to mention Sea Peoples were invading Egypt a thousand years before as a matter of fact.

Uh, I'm afraid not, Riven. Some of the Sea Peoples tribes were known to the Egyptians 250 years earlier, but not 1,000 years. If you're thinking of the Hyksos, you're thinking of a different people.

quote:
Can you say for certain that the words your translating are the right words? Did the word Atlas originate there?

Yes, and did the word Atlas originate where? Regardless of your answer, I believe that I touched upon this earlier in my response.

quote:
Don't you think you should give it some more thought?

My results speak for themselves.

quote:
Since your envy focus's on yourself...

Huh???

quote:
...maybe you'll understand how in Atlantis risen 570 bC thread, we have Araklum coming from the Etruscans in their mention of Greece. Since you are oblivious to this, I guess you answered my question which was if you had come across this word in your studies.

Not in relation to Atlantis, no.

quote:
Well I guess there's no hope in your valuable research for any more questions.
Good luck and don't forget to tie your shoelaces so you don't embarass yourself in the halls of Academia.

That's right, just tell them what they want to hear.

Be a good monkey.

Again with the bitterness, Riven? Why so? Why don't you try arguing the points of the theory, rather than just insulting me and calling me names? Can't you come up with any good arguments?

quote:
Doesn't it suck laying there at night looking up at the ceiling wondering if your Wright?

You probably meant to ask "...if you're right?" To answer your question the way it was written, however, I would have to say "No, not really, because I know I am Wright. It's my name."

quote:
At least wait until the Girrard/ Sarmast expeditions are over. Maybe they will uncover something new? Some new hope? A new Lead?

I believe that I can say with the utmost confidence that they will not find anything of importance relating to the topic of Atlantis, and neither will Georgeos. That is not to say that they won't find anything of importance, just that it won't have any relevance or bearing on the topic of Atlantis - unless, of course, it would count as where not to look.

quote:
Haven't other Sea People theories as Atlantis already been proposed to the melon heads?

Other scholars have proposed the theory of an Atlantis story/Sea Peoples story connection, however, they have been unable to provide substantive evidence from the text itself that would support it. That is what my research has done that is different.

Riven, in the future please do try and be a little less bitter, won't you?

Warm Regards,

Erick

------------------
"None of the secrets of success will work unless YOU do."

[This message has been edited by Erick Wright (edited 06-27-2004).]

Posts: 770 | From: Columbus, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 2002
Report Spam   Logged

"This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together..."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: