Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 11:01:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Worst theories & books on Atlantis

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst theories & books on Atlantis  (Read 5733 times)
Helios
Superhero Member

« on: March 13, 2008, 09:41:22 pm »

dhill757

Member # 1890

Member Rated:
   posted 06-25-2004 02:02 AM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riven,
I didn't want to come right out and say it, but I agree totally with you on this. It' a copout to just say Atlantis never existed. No one I know here thinks you're inane, by the way. I've long been of the opinion that you can't either prove or disprove it's existence simply on linguistic evidence alone, especially if you're not even involved in any excavations involving it. It's a lot more "respectable" to the academic community to simply toe the typical scientific line, disavow it, the to stick your neck out and actually claim anything to the contrary. Why even come to the forum in the first place if it's simply to trash it's existence..?

Also, I doubt that anything anyone could come up with anything here that would destroy the Santorini/Thera theory this or any year. Not that I agree with it, but it is so firmly ingrained in the minds of the scientists too lazy to investigate Atlantis that they just commonly accept that as the basis for Plato's "myth."

On the other hand, everyone is entitled to an opinion, I suppose!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged

"This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together..."

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: