Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:17:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ferraro: My comment wasn't racist, it was a fact

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ferraro: My comment wasn't racist, it was a fact  (Read 35 times)
Monique Faulkner
Superhero Member

« on: March 12, 2008, 10:52:46 am »

Ferraro: My comment wasn't racist, it was a fact
Posted: 10:40 AM ET

Ferraro says her comments were not racist.
(CNN) – An unapologetic Geraldine Ferraro said Wednesday morning that her comments about the electoral impact of Barack Obama's race have been taken out of context, and that she stands by her words.

Ferraro stirred controversy with her recent remarks that Obama's campaign was successful because he was black.

"It wasn't a racist comment, it was a statement of fact," she said on CBS' Early Show, adding that she would leave Hillary Clinton's national finance committee if she were asked, but would not stop raising money for the New York senator's presidential bid. She also blamed Obama's chief strategist, David Axelrod, for misinterpreting her remarks.

Ferraro also told ABC's Good Morning America that "every time" someone makes a negative comment about Obama, they are accused of racism.

Late Tuesday, she told interviewer that she felt she was being attacked because she was white.

"Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and says let's address reality and the problems we're facing in this world, you're accused of being racist, so you have to shut up," she told the (Torrance, California) Daily Breeze. "Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?"

In another interview Tuesday, she compared Obama's situation to her own 24 years ago, when she was the first female candidate for vice president.

She told a FOX News interviewer: "I got up and the question was asked, 'Why do you think Barack Obama is in the place he is today" as the party's delegate frontrunner.

"I said in large measure, because he is black. I said, Let me also say in 1984 - and if I have said it once, I have said it 20, 60, 100 times - in 1984, if my name was Gerard Ferraro instead of Geraldine Ferraro, I would never have been the nominee for vice president," she said.

In her first interview with Daily Breeze, published late last week, Ferraro said "If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position. And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept," Ferraro told the newspaper. She also said Hillary Clinton had been the victim of a "sexist media."

Obama himself has called the comments "patently absurd," and his chief strategist, David Axelrod, has called for Clinton to cut ties with the former New York congresswoman, who serves on her campaign's finance committee. Clinton has said that she does not agree with Ferraro's remarks.

Clinton campaign spokesman Mo Eleithee told CNN's Sasha Johnson Tuesday evening that "Ms. Ferraro is speaking for herself. We have made clear that we do not agree with her remarks."

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Luke Hodiak
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 11:56:53 am »

March 11, 2008
Read More: Hillary Clinton

Ferraro, again: "Attacking me because I'm white"

Ferraro calls the Daily Breeze back, and re-iterates the Clinton's campaign's allegation that Obama is playing the race card.
"Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and says let's address reality and the problems we're facing in this world, you're accused of being racist, so you have to shut up," Ferraro said. "Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?"

Whichever side of the current spin war you buy, or partially buy, this is a very tough case for Ferraro, in particular, to make -- given that the Clinton campaign has already distanced itself from from her original statement.

But it seems like almost a dare to Obama to re-open the issue, a willingness to drag Obama into an argument over race.
ALSO: She stood by the comment on Fox, below.

"What I find offensive is everytime somebody says something about the campaign, you're accused of being racist," she said.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0308/Ferraro_again_Attacking_me_because_Im_white.html

Report Spam   Logged
Luke Hodiak
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:58:05 am »

Ferraro defends remarks about Obama
35 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former vice presidential candidate Geraldine Ferraro on Wednesday stood by her comment that Democrat Barack Obama is only where he is because he is black and said the reaction by his campaign was dividing the party.

"My comments have been taken so out of context and have been spun by the Obama campaign as racist that it's doing precisely what they don't want done -- it's going to the Democratic Party and dividing us even more," Ferraro said in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America."

Ferraro, the Democratic vice presidential candidate in 1984 and the only woman ever nominated by a major party for either of the top two U.S. political offices, ignited a flap by telling a California newspaper that "if Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position."

"And if he was a woman he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept," Ferraro said.

Ferraro, who is supporting Hillary Clinton's campaign to become the Democratic nominee in November's presidential election, told ABC she believed that was true and that she was hurt by reaction by the Obama campaign that she said painted the comments as racist. She said she has fought against discrimination for 40 years.
"My concern has been over how I've been treated as well and hurt, absolutely hurt by how they have taken this thing and spun it to imply that in any way, any way I am racist," she said.
When asked about Ferraro's remarks, Obama said that being an "African American man named Barack Obama" was not the quickest path to becoming U.S. president.

"Anybody who knows the history of this country I think would not take too seriously the notion that this has been a huge advantage, but I don't think it's disadvantaged either," Obama said.

Obama, who would be the first black U.S. president, rode a wave of heavy black support to victory on Tuesday in a primary race in Mississippi and extended his lead over Clinton in pledged delegates to the August nominating convention. The Illinois senator also won on Saturday in Wyoming.

Clinton, who would be the first woman U.S. president, said on Tuesday she did not agree with the comments and called them "regrettable," but the Obama camp accused her of a double standard for refusing to rebuke Ferraro and remove her from her finance position with the campaign.

An Obama foreign policy adviser resigned last week after telling a British newspaper Clinton was "a monster."

(Reporting by Donna Smith, editing by Eric Walsh)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080312/pl_nm/usa_politics_ferraro_dc_1;_ylt=At6AzUceuUXfol.YUouCgLipg9IF

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080311/capt.767dd97f6070448eb134e02fc2b19007.obama_2008_pamr103.jpg?x=180&y=119&q=85&sig=.OqBokhwFXznXT_Gb3f.ag--
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:49:01 pm »

Sour Grapes.   Angry
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: