Atlantis Online
April 20, 2024, 06:20:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Secrets of ocean birth laid bare 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5191384.stm#graphic

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Obama adviser calls Clinton a "Monster"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama adviser calls Clinton a "Monster"  (Read 36 times)
Monique Faulkner
Superhero Member

« on: March 07, 2008, 11:13:11 am »

Obama adviser apologizes for 'monster' comment
Posted: 11:40 AM ET

An advisor to Obama was quoted calling Clinton a monster.
(CNN) — One of Barack Obama's top foreign policy advisers apologized late Thursday after a Scottish newspaper quoted her as calling Hillary Clinton a "monster."

"It is wrong for anyone to pursue this campaign in such negative and personal terms," Samantha Power, a professor at Harvard's Kennedy School of government and an adviser to Obama said in a statement. "I apologize to Senator Clinton and to Senator Obama, who has made very clear that these kinds of expressions should have no place in American politics."

Power's apology came shortly after the The Scotsman newspaper published an article in which she makes the characterization (a comment she immediately tried to retract), and suggested the New York senator is trying to deceive voters.

"She is a monster, too – that is off the record – she is stooping to anything," Power was quoted as saying.

"You just look at her and think, 'Ergh,' " Power also said. "But if you are poor and she is telling you some story about how Obama is going to take your job away, maybe it will be more effective. The amount of deceit she has put forward is really unattractive."

Power also said the Obama campaign "f***** up in Ohio." Clinton beat Obama by 10 percentage points in Ohio on Tuesday.

"In Ohio, they are obsessed and Hillary is going to town on it, because she knows Ohio's the only place they can win," Powers said.

Obama spokesman Bill Burton distanced the campaign from the remarks, saying in a statement that the Illinois senator "decries such characterizations which have no place in this campaign."

The interview came the same day a top Clinton adviser compared Obama's recent actions to independent prosecutor Kenneth Starr, who prosecuted the Clintons while Bill Clinton was in the White House in the 1990s.

"After a campaign in which many of the questions that voters had in the closing days centered on concerns that they had over his state of preparedness to be commander in chief and steward of the economy, he has chosen instead of addressing those issues to attack Senator Clinton," Clinton's communications director Howard Wolfson said on a conference call with reporters Thursday morning. "I for one do not believe that imitating Ken Starr is the way to win a Democratic primary election for president."

Obama's campaign quickly denounced that comment.

UPDATE: On a Friday morning conference call with reporters, the Clinton campaign called on Obama to end Power's role with the campaign. "Personal attacks are not the way to convince voters that you're capable of being president of the United States,” said New York Rep. Nita Lowey, a Clinton supporter. “We're calling on Senator Obama to make it very clear that Samantha Power should not be part of this campaign.”

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Monique Faulkner
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 11:13:59 am »

Breaking: Obama adviser resigns over comment
Posted: 11:48 AM ET

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
(CNN) — Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

Filed under: Barack Obama

Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:54:05 pm »

Well, everybody knows it's true, but she shouldn't have made those remarks.  She was right to apologize and resign.  This now gives the Obama campaign more integrity.

In the same way, McCain disassociated himself form that Cunningham nutcase, and gained more respect from the American people.

Both McCain and Obama are decent people.  I just happen to disagree with McCain's politics.

Report Spam   Logged
Luke Hodiak
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 02:11:01 pm »

I totally agree, Tom, these kinds of denigrating comments are the type we have seen in the past from the Clinton camp, and they don't serve anyone well.

On the other hand, it's interesting how everytime someone says "this is off the record" over in England, they go ahead and print it.  I am sure that the people in the campaigns don't like each other and say these types of things and worse about each other in private.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: