Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 02:41:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Barnstorming Obama plans to pick Republicans for cabinet

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barnstorming Obama plans to pick Republicans for cabinet  (Read 140 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: March 02, 2008, 03:11:51 pm »

Barnstorming Obama plans to pick Republicans for cabinet

Sara Baxter
TimesOnLine

As he jets across two key states whipping up the support that could finish off Hillary Clinton this week, the Democratic frontrunner is already mapping out a government of all the talents. Our writer joins him aboard Obama One.

AS Barack Obama enters the final stages of the fight for the Democratic presidential nomination, he is preparing to detach the core voters of John McCain, the likely Republican nominee, with the same ruthless determination with which he has peeled off Hillary Clinton’s supporters.

The scene is set for a tussle between the two candidates for the support of some of the sharpest and most independent minds in politics. Obama is hoping to appoint cross-party figures to his cabinet such as Chuck Hagel, the Republican senator for Nebraska and an opponent of the Iraq war, and Richard Lugar, leader of the Republicans on the Senate foreign relations committee.

Senior advisers confirmed that Hagel, a highly decorated Vietnam war veteran and one of McCain’s closest friends in the Senate, was considered an ideal candidate for defence secretary. Some regard the outspoken Republican as a possible vice-presidential nominee although that might be regarded as a “stretch”.

Asked about his choice of cabinet last week, Obama told The Sunday Times: “Chuck Hagel is a great friend of mine and I respect him very much,” although he was wary of appearing as though he was already choosing the White House curtains. But after winning 11 primary contests in a row after Super Tuesday, he is ready to elbow Clinton off the stage.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article3466823.ece
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 03:37:51 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jennifer O'Dell
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 04:08:55 pm »

I think he'll have some Republicans in there, but every administration tries to to that.  Bill Clinton had William Cohen as his Secretary of Defense, who was a Republican Senator from Maine.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 08:54:50 pm »

NONE of the current repukes are fit to shine Cohen's shoes.

How soon we forget the last 7 years and the things THEIR party did - and they all marched in lock-step!!

Anybody remember Delay, Norquist etc, etc, etc.......

FROM MY E-MAIL BAG:

"Interesting, Obama hasn't chosen ONE democrat.(!)"

"Other presidents have traditionally chosen across party lines as a courtesy gesture. Let's hope Obama doesn't take it too far."

"Wonder what dull creature he'll pick as veep.
I can feel it, someone without an ounce of passion. (wish he'd pick a cool black woman like Maxine Waters but I don't think he has the guts)."
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 08:59:12 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Deanna Witmer
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 09:06:08 pm »

I was tossing the idea of who Barack's VP would be with a couple of pals last week.

You know who would be the coolest VP?  He needs someone with experience, just like W. did in 2000.

Who would be best at that at the Democratic side?

Not Hillary, you can tell they don't like each other!

The all-time BEST VP would be AL GORE!!!!

There's a really cool karma about making Gore VP again, it sort of rights what happened in 2000 and gives Gore another chance at being Prez again.

Plus, Barack and Gore are friends, they talk every other week. I heard that Hillary and Gore can't stand each other and fought all the time during the 90s.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 09:38:36 pm »

QUOTE:

"The all-time BEST VP would be AL GORE!!!!"

I am sure that AL GORE, with all his accomplishments, wants to "play second fiddle"
to a one-term senator who actually only served for two measly years!!! (Gore was
in Congress and Senate 25 years by the time he became VP).

BTW, if Gore and Obama are such great friends, why hasn't he endorsed him yet?

If I remember correctly, and I do, Al Gore enthusiastically endorsed Howard Dean way
before March 2004.

Report Spam   Logged

Deanna Witmer
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 10:05:55 pm »

He doesn't endorse him because Gore may have to play peacemaker when it comes to the convention.

Second fiddle?  You mean like Cheney was second fiddle?  Or Gore himself when he was VP?  Both were pretty powerful VPs.

And they ARE friends. 

Gore HATES Hillary. Check it out.

Just cause you don't like Barack doesn't mean he isn't qualified, he has been right on all the issues, whilst Hillary is basically trumping her experience as first lady. 

Counting his ten years of legislative experience in Illinois, and his THREE years in the Senate, and his 13 years is actually more than Hillary's 6 years.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 10:06:49 pm by Deanna Witmer » Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 11:07:00 pm »

You are right: 

I don't like Obama - from the first time I saw and heard him he reminded me of

George W. Bush!

You are mistaken if you think I like Hillary any better.....
Report Spam   Logged

Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 03:58:29 am »

Hi Bianca,

I never heard that comparison before.  One huge difference is that Obama reads books--and learns from them!  He was the president of the Harvard Law Review.  It will be a welcome change having a statesman in the White House rather than a cowboy.
Report Spam   Logged
Monique Faulkner
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 10:54:19 am »

You are right: 

I don't like Obama - from the first time I saw and heard him he reminded me of

George W. Bush!

You are mistaken if you think I like Hillary any better.....

Well, gee, Bianca, I sure don't see any resemblance, he is about as unlike as George Bush as you can get.  I suppose you can always vote for Ralph Nader or John McCain if he doesn't appeal to you.
Report Spam   Logged
Deanna Witmer
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 01:33:56 pm »

I know how you feel, Bianca, personally, I have come to hate Hillary! 

She's the one too much like Bush for my tastes - she's mean, lies, is in the pocket of the corporations and is totally contemptuous towards the American people.  At least Barack is honest, she's just in it for herself.  I get the feeling she feels she's "entitled" to the nomination. If she were the nominee, I would have a hard time voting for her. 
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 06:14:23 pm »

H A T E ?

Did I use that word: H A T E ?

Obamaniacs' H A T E is being spread all over Cyberia!

The same attitude that the Bushistas have been using for the past 7 + years......

Only THEIR opinion was allowed to be expressed.....NO OTHER.....

OBAMA,  U N I F I E R

You are willing to unite with the Repukes, but not members of your own party.  Nice!!!

GWB used that "I am a unifier" song, too during his campaign.

Or don't you remember?

BTW, Deanna, nowhere did I say anything to inspire you to spew your HATRED for Hillary.
HATRED is repugnant, no matter to whom it is applied.

As a matter of fact,  where you got the idea that, because I don't like Obama, I am for Hillary
really surprises me.  You have NO idea what I think. 

BUT, until I am told by the Mods not to, I am free to express my opinion here - just like everybody
else - without being badgered.....

UNLESS ATLANTIS-ON -LINE  decides to become like DAILY KOS.......

Then I and, maybe, a few others, will have to leave for a more fair forum.

Furthermore, Obama and Clinton are NOT the only presidential candidates, not even in the
Democratic party.

Very narrow world YOU live in......
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 06:16:24 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Deanna Witmer
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 03:27:31 am »

H A T E ?

Who cares?  Did you even have to?  Fact is, I don't much care if you literally hate him or not, but don't be telling me how I should feel about Hillary.  That's my business, just as it's yours how you feel about Obama. Believe me, I'm not trying to change your mind, so don't try and change mine.

Gee, as is the hatred of the Hillary people towards him.

The same attitude that the Bushistas have been using for the past 7 + years......

Nobody ever said that other people weren't allowed to express their opinion.  Other people simply also have their right to disagree with it. 

And you think that Bush is the only one to ever use that theme?  Dr. King used it, too, in fact, it was what the Civil Rights movement was all about. Bianca, bringing people together is the only way that things ever get anything done in Washington. In a democracy, you have to build a concensus.

BTW, Deanna, nowhere did I say anything to inspire you to spew your HATRED for Hillary.

I was simply expressing my opinion of her, just as you were expressing your opinion of Obama.  It is still a free country, isn't it, or do you only want to talk with people you are in complete agreement with?

As for hating Hillary, that's my business, right? Like I said, I'm not telling you that you how you should feel about other people.

As a matter of fact,  where you got the idea that, because I don't like Obama, I am for Hillary

I never said you were for Hillary.  It would be a logical conclusion, though, since the people who hate Barack the most tend to be Hillary supporters who think this is her "turn."

BUT, until I am told by the Mods not to, I am free to express my opinion here - just like everybody

"Badgered?"  I was only putting in my two cents that Gore would make a great running mate.  If you think that's badgering, I don't know what to tell you.

Furthermore, Obama and Clinton are NOT the only presidential candidates, not even in the
Democratic party.

Yep, and everyone has the right to write in or vote for whoever they want. Like Monique said, you could also vote for Nader or McCain.  Fact is, I couldn't much care who you, or who anyone else votes for here, for that matter.

Nah, not me, you.  I've talked to you pretty civilly here, but I get the feeling you were pretty mad when you wrote your reply. Oh, well, your business!  

For the record, every President tries to choose people from the other party to try and bring the parties together. Barack is not unique. I think that Gore would make a great running mate for Barack, that would really motivate the Dems and give more experience to the ticket. I don't know for a fact that they are friends, but they do talk quite a bit. Barack is also nothing like Bush, Obama is a scholar, Bush lacks all mental acumen, and the comparison is a poor one.  And (in my opinion) the only way that the Democrats could lose in November is if Hillary is the nominee. She is too divisive, doesn't connect with people, has a poorly run campaign, and a lot of people (not just me, incidentally) have come to hate her for her campaign tactics.
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 10:46:17 pm »

I know how you feel, Bianca, personally, I have come to hate Hillary! 

She's the one too much like Bush for my tastes - she's mean, lies, is in the pocket of the corporations and is totally contemptuous towards the American people.  At least Barack is honest, she's just in it for herself.  I get the feeling she feels she's "entitled" to the nomination. If she were the nominee, I would have a hard time voting for her. 

They are all CFR puppets working for the NWO.  Obama is just the latest frontman.  Don't be so hung up on his GQ metrosexuality.  The NWO is counting on women's 'Sex in the City' mentality, black-America's black-power, and the sheer stupidity of yuppie gullibility to bring Obama in.
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 11:03:43 pm »

H A T E ?

Who cares?  Did you even have to?  Fact is, I don't much care if you literally hate him or not, but don't be telling me how I should feel about Hillary.  That's my business, just as it's yours how you feel about Obama. Believe me, I'm not trying to change your mind, so don't try and change mine.

Gee, as is the hatred of the Hillary people towards him.

Nobody ever said that other people weren't allowed to express their opinion.  Other people simply also have their right to disagree with it. 

And you think that Bush is the only one to ever use that theme?  Dr. King used it, too, in fact, it was what the Civil Rights movement was all about. Bianca, bringing people together is the only way that things ever get anything done in Washington. In a democracy, you have to build a concensus.

I was simply expressing my opinion of her, just as you were expressing your opinion of Obama.  It is still a free country, isn't it, or do you only want to talk with people you are in complete agreement with?

As for hating Hillary, that's my business, right? Like I said, I'm not telling you that you how you should feel about other people.

I never said you were for Hillary.  It would be a logical conclusion, though, since the people who hate Barack the most tend to be Hillary supporters who think this is her "turn."

"Badgered?"  I was only putting in my two cents that Gore would make a great running mate.  If you think that's badgering, I don't know what to tell you.

Democratic party.

Yep, and everyone has the right to write in or vote for whoever they want. Like Monique said, you could also vote for Nader or McCain.  Fact is, I couldn't much care who you, or who anyone else votes for here, for that matter.

Nah, not me, you.  I've talked to you pretty civilly here, but I get the feeling you were pretty mad when you wrote your reply. Oh, well, your business!  

For the record, every President tries to choose people from the other party to try and bring the parties together. Barack is not unique. I think that Gore would make a great running mate for Barack, that would really motivate the Dems and give more experience to the ticket. I don't know for a fact that they are friends, but they do talk quite a bit. Barack is also nothing like Bush, Obama is a scholar, Bush lacks all mental acumen, and the comparison is a poor one.  And (in my opinion) the only way that the Democrats could lose in November is if Hillary is the nominee. She is too divisive, doesn't connect with people, has a poorly run campaign, and a lot of people (not just me, incidentally) have come to hate her for her campaign tactics.

As much as women hate being lied to you both should see through the CFR lies and watch the ENDGAME movie for yourselves.

Hillary-Obama, Obama-Hillary, Kang-Kodos, Kodos-Kang.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: