Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 11:02:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Can a Continent Sink?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a Continent Sink?  (Read 7405 times)
Adam Hawthorne
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 04:47:07 pm »

Hi Adam ,Blackstone

Well I don't know about an entire continent sinking but maybe a 'microplate' or a 'block' of continental crust will rise suddenly or sink suddenly. You might be interested in the ideas of the late Christian O'brien who found evidence that the Azores Islands used to be merely the mountain tops of a large island about the size of Spain!!.

http://www.goldenageproject.org.uk/survey.html

As for Tsunami ,A great book on the subject that also has a section on the evidence for mega-tsunami is 'Tsunami-the underrated hazard' by Edward Bryant. I think it covers all you need to know about Tsunami.

An example of the mega tsunami evidence would be how there is evidence in North Western Australia (My backyard  Cheesy)  for a tsunami that was powerful enough to overwash sand dunes that are 5km inland and 60m high !!!  Bryant thought the magnitude was so big that he could only see meteor impacts as the likely cause !!

My idea is that maybe it could be a completely terrestrial phenomenon causing these mega-tsunami.And that this phenomenon also  accounts for the sinking of Atlantis .

Hello Mark,

I'm familiar with Christian O'Brien's work, I don't recall any specific criticsms that geologists have towards it, however, I do know that his ideas depart from mainstream thought.  They are interesting, but I don't believe that anything has been proven either way.  They do coincide neatly with Otto Muck's ideas about what could have brought about Atlantis' immersion, though.

While the Greeks came up with the idea of a continent, I don't believe that Plato actually ever refers to Atlantis as a continent.  We always assume that it was a continent because he described it as "larger than Libya and Asia combined," and he gives those gigantic measurements for the land. I believe the measurements are wrong and that he, perhaps meant "greater" as opposed to "larger."  I do see Atlantis as a sizebale landmass, but hardly a continent. Greenland is not even considered a continent and look at how big Greenland is.  Interesting that Greenland seems to fit the contours of the Kircher map and was also once considered to be Atlantis.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: