Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 08:27:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Can a Continent Sink?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a Continent Sink?  (Read 7534 times)
Adam Hawthorne
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 04:35:30 pm »

Adam,

This is a fabulous collection of information.  Thanks for posting it.  I read about a subduction zone in the Atlantic in Science News and thought "hey!  That's how Atlantis could have vanished!"  But, I have an addition: what if there was a land mass near a subduction zone that was also hit by a large meteor?  I wonder if such an impact could/would accelerate subduction of a large land mass?  Or even precipitate subduction?

Hello Blackstone, and thank you for the compliments considering this research.  If an object from space struck a subduction zone, it would bring about the process of subduction. How big of a landmass would be immersed?  That, I cannot say.  I do know that there are many undersea volcanoes in the Atlantic Ocean and they have erupted many times before.  Geologists frequently claim that these areas are currently dormant, but they have barely researched any of them (to the point of not even bothering to name most of the undersea volcanoes in the Atlantic), so who are they to say?

Two years ago, there was a large undersea expedition in the Atlantic.  Their findings?  From Europe, to North America, the ocean floor is covered with a large sheet of lava.  Obviously something dramatic happened in the Atlantic Ocean at one point.  Whether it fit Plato's description of Atlantis?  Who can say.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: