Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 07:55:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giant crater may lie under Antarctic ice
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn9268

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Can a Continent Sink?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a Continent Sink?  (Read 7550 times)
Ostanes

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2010, 02:22:14 pm »

Now, Ostanes, please tell me how something can disappear in the depths of the sea without sinking.
Very easily.

"Depths of the sea" is a Homeric expression from the Odyssey.

E.g. the island of Ogygia [Atlantis] "knows the depths of every sea."

Does that mean Ogygia sank?  Obviously not or else Odysseus wouldn't have been able to cry on the shore.

If I say the sentence "Odysseus disappeared in the depths of the sea" does that mean he sank to the bottom of the sea floor?  No.

It simply means he disappeared at sea.

Very interesting point. Certainly the consensus amongst scientists is that tectonic plates exist.
That proves they are wrong.  Whenever there is scientific consensus on something it is wrong.

They measure their movements with GPS.
And then they adjust the measurements to fit their models.  

In actual fact, the Earth is growing.

"The preliminary results from NASA indicate that the chord distance from Europe to North America is increasing by 1.5±0.5 cm per year, North America to Hawaii is increasing by 4±1 cm per year, Hawaii to South America by 5±3, and South America to Australia by 6±3 .... These results support Earth expansion, but not the plate tectonics theory, which is denied by the radius increase implicit in the data." -- S. Warren Carey, geologist, 1988

"The relative motion of Hawaii and Arequipa [Peru] is 80±3 mm/yr...." -- D.E. Smith, geophysicist, et al., 1990

There are movements along fault lines and along the putative plate boundaries which tend to imply semi-rigid body movement against those distinct boundaries. From this we get earthquakes (also a movement). We have the compression of Earth's crust forming mountains. I can't imagine how such mountains would suddenly spring up (defying gravity) without some movement of the Earth to force them upward.
Upward is the key word.  The Earth is growing.

And we have so many volcanoes which spew hot (not "cold") magma.
Wrong.  Magma never gets spewed out, lava does.  And hot lava comes from the crust not the mantle.

Yet, scientists could be wrong.
They almost always are.

Your point about seismic wave velocity is interesting, and I'll look into it. Why do you say seismic wave velocity would increase? Would it increase with depth if it gets hotter with depth? Does sound travel faster in a hot solid than in a cold one? Is that what you're saying?

Somehow that seems counterintuitive to me. And some things in nature are counterintuitive. But it seems to me, with my limited understanding, that heat causes things to expand and I've always understood that sound (vibrational waves) travel faster in denser objects. Heat, because of expansion, makes objects less dense. Perhaps velocity is not directly related to density? What are your thoughts on these points?
Waves travel faster through cold solids than they do through hot fluids.

"...no matter what the temperature of the outer core is, and most likely it is quite high, the mantle is cold, and its rigidity increases with depth, because otherwise seismic wave velocity cannot increase with depth, for example for P waves from 6-7 km/sec in the surface layers to about 14 km/sec at the mantle-core boundary." -- Stavros T. Tassos, seismologist, October 2008
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:23:02 pm by Ostanes » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: