Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:57:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Underwater caves off Yucatan yield three old skeletons—remains date to 11,000 B.C.
http://www.edgarcayce.org/am/11,000b.c.yucata.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Several people shot at Northern Illinois University

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Several people shot at Northern Illinois University  (Read 429 times)
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 05:21:02 pm »

JULIANNA GEHANT

Julianna Gehant wasn't a certified teacher yet, but already she had people who couldn't wait to see her become one.

The 32-year-old from Meriden came to Northern Illinois University after a stint in the U.S. Army, where she taught construction. She wanted to teach elementary school.

She kept in touch with her teachers at her high school, Mendota Township High. Retired drama teacher Dave Schroeder remembered her an openhearted young woman with a keen sense of humor and warm laugh. In her 2007 Christmas card, she wrote, "I have four more semesters until I'm qualified to teach second graders."

"I told her I wanted to be one of the first ones to give her a recommendation" for the job, he said. "It's just a terrible loss," Schroeder said.

Her Army record shows she was deployed to Kosovo in 1998 and left active duty in March 2007. She entered the military in July 1993.

Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 05:23:48 pm »

In this photo released Feb. 15, 2008, by York High School is Daniel Parmenter, 20, of Westchester, Ill.,who was identified by DeKalb County Coroner Dennis J. Miller as one of the students shot to death at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Ill. (AP Photo/York High School)
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 05:25:02 pm »

DANIEL PARMENTER

Daniel "Danny" Parmenter was the kind of person who was always helping others out. He was always offering people rides to class, helping friends with homework or doing community service, said Pi Kappa Alpha chapter president Jason Garcia.

The 20-year-old sophomore from Westchester was studying finance at NIU, and sold ads for the campus newspaper. The paper's adviser, Maria Krull, described him as a "gentle giant."

The last time she saw him, he was stretched out on "an old beat-up couch" in the newspaper's offices. She teased him about having his feet on the furniture. "I said, 'Danny, you know better than that.'"

"The thing about Danny was, if he was in the office and I needed something done, I just had to mention it to him and he would do it," Krull said. "I knew I didn't have to worry."
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 05:26:14 pm »

In this photo released Feb. 15, 2008, by HR Imaging Partners, Inc. Ryanne Mace, of Carpentersville, Ill., is shown. Mace, 19, is identified by the DeKalb County coroner's office as one of the students shot to death Thursday, Feb. 14, 2008, at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Ill. (AP Photo/HR Imaging Partners, Inc.)
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 05:27:07 pm »

RYANNE MACE

Just before Valentine's Day, Ryanne Mace posted a note for her friends on her MySpace page: "Happy Valentine's Day Everybody! ... Saying you love someone is not enough, it's how you treat them that shows your true feelings."

The 19-year-old sophomore from Carpentersville was studying psychology at the university.

Her mother, Mary Kay Mace, said she and her husband named their only child Ryanne, and pronounced it like the boy's name Ryan, because "we thought we were having a boy."

"She was beautiful and brilliant and caring," Mace said of her daughter. "She wanted to start a career helping people. She was in psychology to become a counselor. She was our only child, the light of our lives."

Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 05:29:22 pm »

In this 1994 photo released by Mendota Township High School, Julianna Gehant, of Meridan, Ill., is shown. Gehant, 32, who was identified by DeKalb County Coroner Dennis J. Miller is one of the students shot to death at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, Ill. (AP Photo/HR Imaging Partners, Inc.)
Report Spam   Logged
Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 10:39:50 am »

University shooter's girlfriend: 'I couldn't believe it'

Story Highlights
Steven Kazmierczak's girlfriend describes him as a "worrier" on an anti-depressant

He stopped taking the medication three weeks before NIU slayings

"He wasn't acting erratic," she said, but "a little quicker to get annoyed"

Police: Kazmierczak opened fire at NIU class, killing five and himself on Feb. 14

Next Article in U.S. »

Read  VIDEO  PHOTOS
From Abbie Boudreau and Scott Zamost
CNN Special Investigations Unit

WONDER LAKE, Illinois (CNN) -- The girlfriend of the gunman who killed five people and then himself at Northern Illinois University last Thursday told CNN there was "no indication he was planning something."

Jessica Baty said her boyfriend, Steven Kazmierczak, gave no warning of the shooting rampage at NIU.

"He wasn't erratic. He wasn't delusional. He was Steve; he was normal," Jessica Baty tearfully said in an exclusive interview Sunday.

Baty, 28, said she dated Steven Kazmierczak off and on for two years and had most recently been living with him.

"He was a worrier," she said. He once told her he had "obsessive-compulsive tendencies" and that his parents committed him as a teen to a group home because he was "unruly" and used to cut himself, she said.

"He was worried about everything, he worried about me."

But, she added, that he had never exhibited self-destructive behavior during their time together. "Everybody has a past, and everybody goes through hard times," Baty said.

Kazmierczak had been seeing a psychiatrist on a monthly basis, Baty said. She said he was taking an anti-depressant, but he had stopped taking the medication three weeks ago because "it made him feel like a zombie."

"He wasn't acting erratic," she said. "He was just a little quicker to get annoyed."  Watch as Baty explains why she still loves NIU gunman »

Police say Kazmierczak burst into an NIU geology class on February 14 and opened fire with at least a shotgun and two handguns, killing five students while dozens fled for their lives.

Authorities were on the scene within a few minutes, but by the time they reached the classroom, Kazmierczak, 27, had shot himself to death.

Baty knew her boyfriend had purchased at least two guns. He told her they were for home protection.

The day of the shooting, Baty was in class at the University of Illinois where she and Kazmierczak had transferred from NIU. He was pursuing a master's degree in sociology, and she is going for a master's in social work. He planned to study law and had signed up to take the LSAT test, she said. She is hoping to get her doctorate in social work.

The students in her class began to talk about a mass shooting taking place at NIU in DeKalb, Illinois.

Don't Miss
I-Report:  Students mourn lost classmates
Company: Gunman, VT shooter had same dealer
CNN.com readers sound off on NIU shooting
Shooter interested in 'peace and social justice'
WLS: Community hopes to heal after tragedy
Oblivious that Kazmierczak could have anything to do with it, Baty said she had tried calling him several times Thursday, but her calls went directly into his voice mail.

"I was worried about him because he was supposed to come to class," she said. "He never missed a class."

When Baty learned that Kazmierczak was the shooter, she said, "I couldn't believe it."

"I said, 'No, you have the wrong person. He's not in DeKalb.' He wasn't supposed to be there. He was on his way home to see me. It didn't make any sense at all."

She had last seen him Monday morning, when he told her he was planning to drive north to visit his ill godfather who he had not seen in a long time.

Kazmierczak "told me that he loved me and that he would see me on Thursday and missed me," she said. "That whole week I talked to him; he sounded fine."

"The Steven I know and love was not the man that walked into that building," she said. "He was anything but a monster. He was probably the nicest, most caring person ever."

She said she was talking to the news media about Kazmierczak because, "He cannot be defined by his last actions. There was so much more than that."

Since Thursday, Baty said authorities have intercepted several packages Kazmierczak sent her, including several items such as: the book "The Antichrist" by Friedrich Nietszche; a textbook for her class about serial killers; a package with a gun holster and bullets; a new cell phone that she had told him she wanted and about $100 in cash.

She read the contents of a note he sent to her.

"You are the best Jessica!" it read. "You've done so much for me, and I truly do love you. You will make an excellent psychologist or social worker someday! Don't forget about me! Love, Steven Kazmierczak."

But there was no letter explaining the NIU slayings.

"I'm praying that there's another one somewhere that tells why and what he was thinking and what he was feeling and why he wouldn't want me to help him," she said.

Though the two had chosen to transfer to the University of Illinois, "there was no hard feelings [toward NIU]," she said. "He said all the time how grateful he was that he went there."

She said she had never known her boyfriend to lie: "He was always open and honest. We didn't keep anything from each other."

"I would have helped him, I would have done something for him," Baty said. Even last week, when the two talked every night until the killings, she was not alarmed.

It was during their last conversation, a few minutes past midnight Wednesday, that she got her first inkling that something was amiss, she said. "He told me not to forget about him and he told me that he would see me tomorrow, and when we got off the phone he said 'Goodbye.' He never said goodbye."

Shaking and crying, her family at her side during the interview, Baty said she still loves the man she met in a hallway at NIU when they were both undergraduate students.

Baty said she feels sorry for the victims and their families and friends. "I know what they're going through, and I just can't tell them how sorry I am," she said. But, she added, "He was a victim, too, and I know they probably won't want to hear that, but he was."

Like comments from teachers which have been widely reported, she said Kazmierczak was an achiever who always tried to get ahead in class and seemed committed to criminal justice issues.

Pictures of their relationship don't betray anything odd. They are scenes of the two of them smiling on Florida beaches, on golf courses and having fun at Disney World.

Teachers and others who knew Kazmierczak have said he was fascinated with prison culture. In 2006, when he was a student at NIU, police said, he worked on a graduate paper that described his interest in "corrections, political violence and peace and social justice."

The paper said Kazmierczak was "co-authoring a manuscript on the role of religion in the formation of early prisons in the United States."

"I didn't think he was crazy," said Baty, sobbing. "I still love him." E-mail to a friend

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/17/shooter.girlfriend/index.html
Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson
Adrienne
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 01:25:51 pm »

Site of fatal NIU shootings to be demolished

Story Highlights
Cole Hall, site of shootings, to be replaced by high-tech "Memorial Hall"

Steven Kazmierczak opened fire in geology lecture hall February 14

Kazmierczak shot 21 people, killing five of them, then killed himself, police say

Shooter's girlfriend says he stopped taking antidepressant a few weeks earlier

Next Article in Crime »

Read MAP INTERACTIVE

(CNN) -- The building where a gunman killed five people at Northern Illinois University two weeks ago will be demolished, state officials said Wednesday.

Police tape and flowers sit outside Cole Hall at Northern Illinois University on Sunday.

1 of 2 Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich's office confirmed that the state will provide the funding for the university to demolish Cole Hall, the site of Steven Kazmierczak's February 14 rampage.

Cole Hall will be replaced by a high-tech classroom building to be named Memorial Hall, the office said.

Kazmierczak, of Champaign, Illinois, opened fire on a geology class, shooting 21 people before killing himself.

He used a shotgun hidden in a guitar case and three handguns hidden under a coat, NIU Police Chief Donald Grady said.

Grady said he didn't know how many shots had been fired, but he said investigators recovered 48 bullet casings and six shotgun shells.

About 160 students were registered for the class that met in the large lecture hall.

Kevin McEnery said he was in the classroom when the gunman, dressed in a black shirt, dark pants and black hat, burst in carrying a shotgun.

Don't Miss
NIU victims remembered at memorial service
Shooting reopens debate over drug, violence link
Girlfriend: Shooter was taking cocktail of 3 drugs
Company: NIU, Va. Tech shooters used same dealer
"He just kicked the door open, just started shooting," McEnery said. "All I really heard was just people screaming, yelling 'get out.' ... Close to 30 shots were fired."

Student Zach Seward said, "We were having lecture as normal, a PowerPoint presentation. All of a sudden, the side door on the stage opens. Average-height male Caucasian comes out, draws a shotgun, pumps it and fires the first round on the first couple of rows.

"After that, everybody ducked down, started screaming, going toward the door. On the way out, I heard shots still being fired. Everybody was screaming and running out of the room. It was chaos."  See map of where the shootings happened »

Kazmierczak's girlfriend told CNN that the 27-year-old had stopped taking an antidepressant three weeks before the shooting.

Jessica Baty said Kazmierczak had been taking Xanax, used to treat anxiety, and Ambien, a sleep agent, as well as the antidepressant Prozac.

Baty did not say whether Kazmierczak stopped taking Prozac abruptly or whether he consulted with his psychiatrist before doing so.

She said Kazmierczak had been taking the antidepressant for obsessive-compulsive tendencies and anxiety caused by school.

Baty told CNN that, during their two-year courtship, she had never seen him display violent tendencies, and she expressed bewilderment over the cause of the rampage. "He was anything but a monster," Baty said. "He was probably the nicest, most caring person ever."

"There were no red flags," said Grady, the university police chief. "He was an outstanding student; he was an awarded student; he was someone that was revered by the faculty, staff and students alike. ... So we had no indications at all."

NIU President John Peters said the gunman was a former graduate student who had a good record as an undergraduate, receiving a degree in sociology at the school in 2006.

"There's no indication that there was any trouble," Peters said.

All the victims were from Illinois. The DeKalb County coroner's office identified four of them: Daniel Parmenter, 20, of Westchester; Catalina Garcia, 20, of Cicero; Ryanne Mace, 19, of Carpentersville; and Julianna Gehant, 32, of Meriden.

The fifth victim, Gayle Dubowski, 20, of Carol Stream, died at a hospital in Rockford and was identified by Winnebago County authorities.  Read about the victims' lives »

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/02/27/niu.building/index.html
Report Spam   Logged

"In a monarchy, the king is law, in a democracy, the law is king."
-Thomas Paine
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 01:59:03 pm »

Now watch the CFR shamdidates try to pass stricter gun laws even tho Illinois already strict gun laws did nothing.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: