Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 08:51:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Did Humans Colonize the World by Boat?
Research suggests our ancestors traveled the oceans 70,000 years ago
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jun/20-did-humans-colonize-the-world-by-boat

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Several people shot at Northern Illinois University

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Several people shot at Northern Illinois University  (Read 421 times)
Trent
Superhero Member

« on: February 14, 2008, 04:33:30 pm »

Reports: Several people shot at Northern Illinois University

(CNN) -- At least two people have been shot and several injured at Northern Illinois University outside Chicago, CNN affiliates are reporting.

Ambulances line up at Northern Illinois University after a shooting.

The gunman who opened fire in a lecture hall is dead according to DeKalb police, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting.

The lecture hall is Cole Hall, reports say. The shooting occured shortly after 3 p.m. ET.

A local hospital tells CNN affiliate CLTV that it expects to receive 15 patients and have so far treated at least two.

The University has ordered its student body to seek shelter and canceled classes Thursday.

"Its has been confirmed that there has been a shooting on campus and several people have been taken away by ambulance," the school said in a posting on its DeKalb campus Web site. "All classes are canceled on the DeKalb campus. People are urged not to come to campus."

DeKalb is 65 miles west of downtown Chicago and 45 minutes southeast of Rockford. E-mail to a friend

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/14/university.shooting/index.html
Report Spam   Logged

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Trent
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 04:34:10 pm »

This is my hometown! 
Report Spam   Logged

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 08:36:43 pm »

I hope someone believed enough in the 2nd Amendment to stop the shooter.   Wink

A sad situation indeed.   Sad

I wonder if it's a government plant.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm   Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 10:06:17 pm »

I am so sorry, Trent.  At least I hope none of them were people you knew.

Here is the latest:

Man kills 5, self at Northern Illinois By CARYN ROUSSEAU, Associated Press Writer
31 minutes ago

DEKALB, Ill. - A former student dressed in black opened fire with a shotgun and two handguns from
the stage of a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University on Thursday, killing five students and injuring
16 others before committing suicide, authorities said.

The gunman fatally shot four women and a man in a "brief, rapid-fire assault" that sent terrified students running for cover, university President John Peters said. Four died at the scene, including
the gunman, and the other two died at a hospital, he said.

Witnesses in the geology class said "someone dressed in black came out from behind a screen in front of the classroom and opened fire with a shotgun," Peters said.

Lauren Carr said she was sitting in the third row of the lecture hall around 3 p.m. when she saw the shooter walk through a door on the right-hand side of the stage, pointing a gun straight ahead.

"I personally Army-crawled halfway up the aisle," said Carr, a 20-year-old sophomore. "I said I could get up and run or I could die here."

She said a student in front of her was bleeding, "but he just kept running."

"I heard this girl scream, 'Run, he's reloading the gun.'"

Student Jerry Santoni was in a back row when he saw the gunman enter a service door to the stage.

"I saw him shoot one round at the teacher," he said. "After that, I proceeded to get down as fast as I could."

Santoni dived down, hitting his head the seat in front of him, leaving a knot about half the size of a pingpong ball on his forehead.

The teacher, a graduate student, was wounded but was expected to recover, the school president said. He did not give details of the injuries.

Peters said the gunman was a former graduate student in sociology at NIU, but was not currently enrolled at the 25,000-student campus about 65 miles west of Chicago.

"It appears he may have been a student somewhere else," University Police Chief Donald Grady said, adding that police had no apparent motive.

Seventeen victims were brought to Kishwaukee Community Hospital in DeKalb, according to spokeswoman Theresa Komitas. One died, two were admitted and three were discharged; five are
being evaluated and six others were transferred to other hospitals in critical condition. At least one male died at OSF St. Anthony Medical Center in Rockford, an official said.

Michael Gentile was meeting with two of his students directly beneath the lecture hall when the shootings happened. He could hear the chaos a few feet above his head.

"The shotgun blast must have been so loud," said Gentile, a 27-year-old media studies instructor. "It sounded like something was dropping down the stairs... We had no idea what this was."

Then, shorter, sharper noises he recognized as handgun shots.

"There was a pretty quick succession ... just pow, pow, pow," said Gentile, who didn't leave his office for about 90 minutes. He used a surveillance camera just outside his office to confirm that the people knocking on his door were police.

George Gaynor, a senior geography student, who was in Cole Hall when the shooting happened, told the student newspaper the Northern Star that the shooter was "a skinny white guy with a stocking
cap on."

He described the scene immediately following the incident as terrifying and chaotic.

"Some girl got hit in the eye, a guy got hit in the leg," Gaynor said outside just minutes after the shooting occurred. "It was like five minutes before class ended too."

Witnesses said the young man carried a shotgun and a pistol. Student Edward Robinson told WLS
that the gunman appeared to target students in one part of the lecture hall.

"It was almost like he knew who he wanted to shoot," Robinson said. "He knew who and where he wanted to be firing at."

The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms sent 15 agents to the scene, according to spokesman Thomas Ahern. He said information about the weapons involved would be sent to the
ATF's national database in Washington and given urgent priority. The FBI also was assisting.

All classes were canceled Thursday night and the campus was closed on Friday. Students were urged to call their parents "as soon as possible" and were offered counseling at any residence hall, according to the school Web site.

The school was closed for one day during final exam week in December after campus police found threats, including racial slurs and references to shootings earlier in the year at Virginia Tech, scrawled on a bathroom wall in a dormitory. Police determined after an investigation that there was no imminent threat and the campus was reopened. Peters said he knew of no connection between that incident and Thursday's attack. 

The shooting was the fourth at a U.S. school within a week.

On Feb. 8, a woman shot two fellow students to death before committing suicide at Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge. In Memphis, Tenn., a 17-year-old is accused of shooting and critically wounding a fellow student Monday during a high school gym class, and the 15-year-old
victim of a shooting at an Oxnard, Calif., junior high school has been declared brain dead.
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Quest4Truth

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 12:57:37 am »

Gunman was Ex-Sociology Student

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/niu_shooting

DEKALB, Ill. - A former student dressed in black walked onto the stage of a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University and opened fire on a packed science class Thursday, killing five students, wounding 16 and setting off a panicked stampede before committing suicide.

Police say they have no motive for the rapid-fire assault, carried out by the gunman who fired indiscriminately into the crowd with a shotgun and two handguns as students dove to the floor and ran toward the exits. At least two of the wounded were hospitalized in critical condition.

"I kept thinking, 'Oh God, he's going to shoot me. Oh God, I'm dead. I'm dead. I'm dead,'" said Desiree Smith, a senior journalism major who dropped to the floor near the back of the auditorium.

"People were crawling on each other, trampling each other," she said. "As I got near the door, I got up and I started running."

University President John Peters said four people died at the scene, including three students and the gunman, while the other two died at a hospital. The teacher, a graduate student, was wounded but was expected to recover.

Peters said the gunman was a former graduate student in sociology at NIU, but was not currently enrolled at the 25,000-student campus about 65 miles west of Chicago.

"It appears he may have been a student somewhere else," University Police Chief Donald Grady said. Authorities did not release any other details about the gunman or identify the victims.

Witnesses said the skinny gunman, dressed in black and wearing a stocking cap, emerged from behind a screen on the stage of 200-seat Cole Hall and opened fire just as the class was about to end around 3 p.m.

Officials said 162 students were registered for the class but it was unknown how many were there Thursday.

Lauren Carr said she was sitting in the third row when she saw the shooter walk through a door on the right-hand side of the stage, pointing a gun straight ahead.

"I personally Army-crawled halfway up the aisle," said Carr, a 20-year-old sophomore. "I said I could get up and run or I could die here."

She said a student in front of her was bleeding, "but he just kept running."

"I heard this girl scream, 'Run, he's reloading the gun.'"

Student Jerry Santoni was in a back row when he saw the gunman enter a service door to the stage.

"I saw him shoot one round at the teacher," he said. "After that, I proceeded to get down as fast as I could."

Santoni dived down, hitting his head the seat in front of him, leaving a knot about half the size of a pingpong ball on his forehead.

Seventeen victims were brought to nearby Kishwaukee Community Hospital, where one died, according to spokeswoman Theresa Komitas. One male was transferred in critical condition and died at OSF St. Anthony Medical Center in Rockford, an official said.

Dan Parmenter, a 20-year-old sophomore from Elmhurst, Ill., was one of those killed, his stepfather, Robert Greer, told the Chicago Tribune.

"I'm not angry," Greer said. "I'm just sad, and I know that right now what I need to do is comfort my wife."

Minutes after the shooting erupted, students phoned each other and sent text messages even before school officials could warn them, many said. The school Web site announced a possible gunman on campus within 20 minutes of the shots and locked down the campus, part of a new security plan created after a student at Virginia Tech killed 32 people last year.

"This is a tragedy, but from all indications we did everything we could when we found out," Peters said.

Michael Gentile was meeting with two of his students directly beneath the lecture hall when the shootings happened. He could hear the chaos a few feet above his head.

"The shotgun blast must have been so loud," said Gentile, a 27-year-old media studies instructor. "It sounded like something was dropping down the stairs... We had no idea what this was."

Then, shorter, sharper noises he recognized as handgun shots.

"There was a pretty quick succession ... just pow, pow, pow," said Gentile, who didn't leave his office for about 90 minutes. He used a surveillance camera just outside his office to confirm that the people knocking on his door were police.

George Gaynor, a senior geography student, who was in Cole Hall when the shooting happened, told the student newspaper the Northern Star that the shooter was "a skinny white guy with a stocking cap on."

He described the scene immediately following the incident as terrifying and chaotic.

"Some girl got hit in the eye, a guy got hit in the leg," Gaynor said outside just minutes after the shooting occurred. "It was like five minutes before class ended too."

Witnesses said the young man carried a shotgun and a pistol. Student Edward Robinson told WLS that the gunman appeared to target students in one part of the lecture hall.

"It was almost like he knew who he wanted to shoot," Robinson said. "He knew who and where he wanted to be firing at."

The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms sent 15 agents to the scene, according to spokesman Thomas Ahern. He said information about the weapons involved would be sent to the ATF's national database in Washington and given urgent priority. The FBI also was assisting.

All classes were canceled Thursday night and the campus was closed on Friday. Students were urged to call their parents "as soon as possible" and were offered counseling at any residence hall, according to the school Web site.

The school was closed for one day during final exam week in December after campus police found threats, including racial slurs and references to shootings earlier in the year at Virginia Tech, scrawled on a bathroom wall in a dormitory. Police determined after an investigation that there was no imminent threat and the campus was reopened. Peters said he knew of no connection between that incident and Thursday's attack. Peters said he knew of no connection between that incident and Thursday's attack.

The shooting was the fourth at a U.S. school within a week.

On Feb. 8, a woman shot two fellow students to death before committing suicide at Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge. In Memphis, Tenn., a 17-year-old is accused of shooting and critically wounding a fellow student Monday during a high school gym class, and the 15-year-old victim of a shooting at an Oxnard, Calif., junior high school has been declared brain dead.
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 01:46:05 am »

All these school shootings, sounds like a Hegalian Operation.  That and all these Marines wanting to 'practice' urban warfare'.

Looks as if the Illuminaties are getting close to pulling something off big before ol' Bush and Cheney get out of office.

According to Congressman Wexler they along with Harriet Miers and Condi Rice are being subpeona'ed by Congress for phony 9/11 intelligence.  A coincidence.  Hmmmmmmm
Report Spam   Logged
Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 11:11:00 am »

Illinois campus gunman identified

The gunman in Thursday's shooting rampage at Northern Illinois University has been identified as Steven P. Kazmierczak of Champaign, Illinois. Kazmierczak shot 21 people before turning the gun on himself. Five people were killed in addition to the shooter. developing story
Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson
Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 11:12:53 am »

Gunman in Illinois campus shooting identified

Story Highlights
NEW: University officials name gunman as Steven P. Kazmierczak

NEW: Coroner amends death toll: five victims and one gunman

NEW: Shooter used shotgun, three handguns, school police chief says

NEW: Two weapons were legally purchased February 9, ATF agent says

DEKALB, Illinois (CNN) -- The gunman in Thursday's shooting rampage at Northern Illinois University has been identified as Steven P. Kazmierczak of Champaign, Illinois.

Paramedics rush a victim to a waiting ambulance following a shooting at Northern Illinois University.

1 of 3 more photos »  Kazmierczak opened fire on a geology class Thursday, shooting 21 people before turning the gun on himself. Five people were killed in addition to the shooter.

The DeKalb County coroner's office identified four of the victims, all Illinois residents: Daniel Parmenter, 20, of Westchester; Catalina Garcia, 20, of Cicero; Ryanne Mace, 19, of Carpentersville; and Julianna Gehant, 32, of Meriden.

The fifth victim, Gayle Dubowski, 20, of Carol Stream, Illinois, died at a hospital in Rockford and was identified by Winnebago County authorities.

The coroner earlier had said six people died in addition to the shooter but amended the death toll Friday morning.

Authorities in Polk County, Florida said police in Illinois had them question the man's father, Robert Kazmierczak of Lakeland, Florida.

University President John Peters said the gunman was a former graduate student who had a good record as an undergraduate, receiving a degree in sociology at the school in 2006.

A preliminary investigation has not uncovered a police record on the gunman, and records showed he had no contact with university police while a student there, Peters said.

"There's no indication that there was any trouble," Peters said.  Watch as the university president assesses the situation »

Don't Miss
WLS: Gunman, victims identified
WQAD:  See local coverage of shooting
The Chicago Tribune reported that the school honored the gunman two years ago for his research on the U.S. prison system, including a study of self-inflicted wounds among prisoners. He was a graduate student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the Tribune reported.

President Bush on Friday morning asked Americans "to offer their blessings -- blessings of comfort and blessings of strength" to the community at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, about 65 miles west of downtown Chicago.

Kazmierczak used a shotgun hidden in a guitar case and three handguns hidden under a coat, university Police Chief Donald Grady said Friday.

Grady said authorities do not yet know of a motive.

A spokesman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said that two of the weapons were legally purchased February 9 from a dealer in Champaign. The bureau was still tracing the other two weapons used in the attack.

An FBI spokesman said bureau agents would assist as well.

All classes and events on the university campus were canceled until further notice. Dormitories remained open to house and feed students.

"I know what's happened, but I don't want to believe it," said Stefanie Miller, who saw two of her friends die in the Cole Hall shooting.  Watch the shocked student ask for prayers »

Miller said the gunman came out from behind a curtain and opened fire, sending people screaming, running, and in many cases falling to the ground. It was like "a scene from a movie," she said.

"A lot of people were screaming. Everybody started running for the door," said student Zach Seward. "It was just complete chaos."

Late Thursday, dozens of students gathered on campus for a candlelight prayer vigil. Video footage showed students comforting one another and a young man playing guitar.  Watch students gather and pray »

Seven counseling areas were set up, and hotlines were established.

Senior Daley Hamilton, 21, said most students were heading home to their parents. "My parking lot at my apartment is pretty sparse," she said.

She said she and her roommate were planning to leave Friday. "We are really on edge and just kind of want to get out," she said.

Tributes also were surfacing online. A Facebook community called "Pray for Northern Illinois University Students and Families" had more than 34,000 members by Friday morning.

Gunman 'just started shooting'

About 160 students were registered in the class that met in the large lecture hall.

Kevin McEnery said he was in the classroom when the gunman, dressed in a black shirt, dark pants and black hat, burst in carrying a shotgun.  See photos of the scene »

"He just kicked the door open, just started shooting," McEnery said. "All I really heard was just people screaming, yelling 'get out.' ... Close to 30 shots were fired."  Watch a student describe the chaos »

At 3:03 p.m. CT, university police responded, and four minutes later, the campus was ordered into "a lockdown situation," said Grady, the police chief.

At 3:20, an all-campus alert went out via the school Web site, e-mail, voice mail, the campus crisis hotline, the news media and alarm systems, he said.

"The message basically was: There's a gunman on campus, stay where you are; make yourself as safe as possible," he said.

Student Rosie Moroni said she was outside Cole Hall near the King Commons when she heard shots coming from the classroom.

The shots were followed by "a lot of people screaming," then people ran out the doors yelling, "He's got a gun, call 911," she recalled.

By 4 p.m., DeKalb police had swept the area "and determined there was only one gunman" and that he was dead.

"It was absolutely a marvelous response" by campus safety authorities, Grady said.

Security around campus was increased in December when police found threats scrawled on a campus bathroom wall that included racial slurs and references to last April's Virginia Tech shootings. Learn about other recent school shootings »

Peters and Grady said no evidence points to a link between the December incident and Thursday's shooting.

The university revised its emergency procedures after the Virginia Tech massacre, Peters said.

"I believe that paid off," he said. "That's really a sad thing to say, that you have to learn from an event like that, but we knew how we wanted to communicate and we sort of had some messages prearranged, and we got out there fairly quickly."

He said the shooting could force further changes.

"Universities for decades, for hundreds of years, have been open institutions -- the most open institutions," he said. "And events like this and Virginia Tech and others are forcing us to reconsider how we do things. I think that is unfortunate but necessary."

Eighteen victims were taken to Kishwaukee Community Hospital in DeKalb, the hospital Web site said.

Of those, seven were in critical condition and were flown to other hospitals. One fatality, a male, was confirmed -- but was not the gunman, the hospital said. Two were admitted, and eight others were discharged.  Watch how the victims were handled »

Nate Llewellyn, a spokesman for Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove, said it had received two female patients and one male: Nineteen-year-old Unnum Rahman was in serious condition after receiving gunshot wounds to her right eye and arm; Maria Ruiz Santana was in critical condition; and an unidentified male was in critical condition. All three required surgery, he said.

The 113-year-old school has an enrollment of more than 25,000. The campus covers 755 acres. E-mail to a friend

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/15/university.shooting/index.html
Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson
Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 11:15:13 am »

Tactical police rush to the scene of the rampage, where a gunman killed six before shooting himself.

Students gather on campus late Thursday for a candlelight prayer vigil.
Report Spam   Logged

Thomas Jefferson
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 01:06:05 pm »

How soon until we find out there were CIA people there a week or 2 before I wonder ??
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 05:14:59 pm »

A Look at NIU's Shooting Victims
By CARLA K. JOHNSON and LINDSEY TANNER – 19 hours ago

CHICAGO (AP) — Two dreamed of becoming teachers. Another gave friends rides to class and helped them with homework. One served in the military.

The five students killed when a gunman opened fire in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University Thursday afternoon were at college to begin building their dreams. On Friday, friends and family mourned them and remembered the effect they had on those they met.

In this undated photo provided by the Glenbard North High School yearbook, Gayle Dubowski is shown. Dubowski, 20, was one of the five victims killed in a shooting, Thursday, Feb. 14, 2008, in DeKalb, Ill. at Northern Illinois University. Stephen Kazmierczak, 27, gunned down five people at Northern Illinois University in a suicidal rampage an had recently "become erratic" after halting his medication, police said Friday. (AP Photo/Glenbard North High School via the Chicago Tribune)
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 05:15:50 pm »

GAYLE DUBOWSKI

Dubowski, 20, of Carol Stream, was a sophomore at NIU. "She was a good person with a big heart," said a friend, Kelly Cavanaugh, who met her at the DeKalb Church of Christ.

Dubowski graduated from Glenbard North High School in 2006 where she sang in the choir, said Principal John Mensik. Teachers were in tears Friday morning when they heard the news, Mensik said.

"She worked as a teacher's aide for some of the teachers," the principal said. "She was a very positive student. ... She touched people."

Amanda Kent, 21, a fellow NIU student, said she was in Dubowski's second year Russian class and saw her Thursday before the shooting.

"She was very sweet. She was sort of shy, but always had a smile on her face," Kent said.

Associated Press Writer Lolita C. Baldor in Washington contributed to this report.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iu5Befdi8XXwzGTjcipzpEPDqu4AD8UR5QHG0
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 05:17:34 pm »

In this undated photo provided by the Garcia family, Catalina Garcia of Cicero, Ill., is shown. Garcia was one of the five victims killed in the shooting, Thursday, Feb. 14, 2008, in DeKalb, Ill. at Northern Illinois University. Stephen Kazmierczak, 27, gunned down five people at Northern Illinois University in a suicidal rampage an had recently "become erratic" after halting his medication, police said Friday. (AP Photo/Garcia Family via the Chicago Tribune)
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 05:18:31 pm »

CATALINA GARCIA

The youngest of four siblings in a family from Guadalajara, Mexico, Catalina Garcia's family settled in suburban Cicero, west of Chicago.

The 20-year-old wanted to become a teacher, something her family admired.

"She was adored by our family because she wanted to become somebody in life — that's what she was going to school," her father, Jacinto Garcia, told Spanish-language radio station WOJO-FM, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

She was a 2006 graduate of Morton East High School, where she belonged to the Yearbook Club and a campus dance group. She was shy, very bright and a good student, recalled Michael Parrie, her chemistry teacher junior year.

"She always had a smile on her face, such a positive attitude and outlook on life. It was contagious," Parrie said.

___

Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 05:20:01 pm »

A memorial to Northern Illinois University shooting victim Julianna Gehant sits on the base of a flagpole in DeKalb, Ill., Friday, Feb. 15, 2008. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: