Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 06:36:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giant crater may lie under Antarctic ice
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn9268

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the A.R.E.'s Investigations into the Atlantic

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the A.R.E.'s Investigations into the Atlantic  (Read 11260 times)
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 03:16:50 am »

Hi Greg, I got it the first time around. Actually, I read that on Andrew's website, but I just didn't know if there was anything else on the Scott Stones since the last time that they released something, back in 2002! I guess that was a hoax, too, but it was big when it first came out.
Report Spam   Logged

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 03:17:28 am »

Greg, this looks like another con, but I wonder if you know anything about it..?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'VE FOUND ATLANTIS !!
THIS IS NO JOKE!
I HAVE FOUND ATLANTIS AND AM WILLINGTO SHOW THE LOCATION
OF THE "CITY OF ATLANTIS" TO THEFIRST PERSON OR PERSONS
THAT PRODUCE A FREE GRANT OF
$8,000,000. U.S.
FOR A GUIDED THREE DAY AND THREE NIGHTS ROYAL TOUR OF THE
CITY OF ATLANTIS!
FOR THIS YOU GET T O SEE THE ONCE LOSTCITY WITH ALL
OF IT'S GLORY AND IT'S TEMPLE.
THIS IS THE SAME ATLANTIS THAT PLATOTHE GREEK PHILOSOPHER
SPOKE OF IN 400 B.C.
OVER 24,000 BOOKS HAVE BEEN WRITTENON THE SUBJECT, SCHOLARS
HAVE ARGUED ABOUT THIS TOPIC EVER SINCE,MANY HAVE SEARCHED AND NOW
I OFFER TO YOU A SITE NOT SEEN BY ANYMODERN DAY MAN,
EXCEPT ME. ; RESEARCHER, EXPLORER,AND DISCOVERER OF
THE ONCE "LOST CITY OF ATLANTIS,"
Mr. JERRY D. QUERRAR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's obviously a con, but have you ever heard of this Jerry Querrar person?

http://www.ament.vi/atlantis/
Report Spam   Logged

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 03:18:06 am »

I did a search for pictures of the Scott Stones, didn't find any, but I did find satellite images of the area they're talking about. The first one shows what they purport to be the image of te circular city:

http://www.atlantisuncovered.com/how_found.htm

The second one shows pix of what they assume to be an Atlanean temple:

http://www.atlantisuncovered.com/temple.htm

quote:
Press Release: July 6, 1997
By: Aaron Du Val, Egyptology Society President,
Miami, Florida
The ruins of temples dated at 12,000 years old have been found near Bimini, Bahamas. Preliminary analysis has revealed that the original structures, although smaller in size than the Great Pyramid of Giza, appear to have been more advanced. Casing stones have been measured which are of the same unique angle as those at the Great Pyramid.

The ruins are megalitic and bear a remarkable resemblance to ancient sites in Egypt. So called "quarry marks" found in the Aswan quarries and also on the Great Pyramid, itself, appear to be identical matches with those found on the Bimini temple stones. Other characteristics closely match features at megalitic sites in Peru, the Yucatan, Ireland and Scandinavia. The stones are already drawing international attention and aggressive research and analysis projects are being set up which hope to commence more involved investigations shortly.

Analysis of these enigmatic ancient temples built near Bimini over 12,000 years ago has only just begun. Although many maps of the heavenly realm adorn various walls of these mysterious Bimini temples, there is an almost complete lack of other markings. Of the limited glyphs that do exist, however, several match those found in the famous Altamira Cave in Spain which contains the well-known bison painting. In addition, there are exact orbital plots of the planets and what seem to have been intricate star shafts, metal-coated walls, and intermingled stones of various colors.
Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 03:18:45 am »

These next things look to be just novelty items!
First, here is a statue of a giant hand holdng a trident that popped up on a search. I don't know where it came from.

http://www.coral-lab.org/~catalano/photos/SpringTraining/SpringTraining-Pages/Image46.html

This next article sounds good, but it was published in the Weekly World News!

U.S. NAVY FOUND ATLANTIS IN 1973!
Underwater city is 19 miles off coast of Spain!
By VINCENZO SARDI

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Navy has known the exact location of Atlantis since 1973 and has even sent nuclear subs to explore the sunken ruins, a new book charges!

"For more than a quarter of a century, the United States government has kept this extraordinary discovery a secret from the American people," claims researcher Jeremy Horwick, authorof the upcoming book, Mission: Atlantis: What the Navy Really Knows about the Lost Continent.

Author: Jeremy Howick
According to Horwick, who cites once-classified documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act and interviews with former seamen, a Navy sub discovered the ruins of the fabled civilization while doing maneuvers off the coast of Spain on July 25, 1973.

"The ruins are about 5,500 feet deep and are quite vast, extending for at least 19 square miles," the D.C.-based author says.

While the captain of the vessel immediately recognized the significance of the find, he received orders to keep mum from the highest levels of the government.

Horwick has evidence that this order came from then-President Nixon, who decided that keeping the discovery secret was in the best national security interests of America.

"Nixon's advisers, including Henry Kissinger, were quite aware of the legends surrounding Atlantis, that it had achieved a highly sophisticated level of technology before the catastrophe that sent it to the bottom of the ocean," says Horwick. "They knew that during World War II, Hitler had sent his U-boats on a desperate hunt for Atlantis, believing that he might retrieve that technology and use it to build a secret weapon that would help Germany achieve victory.

"President Nixon felt that there might be technology Amer-ica could use to win the Cold War and he decided to try to salvage it.

"He didn't want to give the Russians a head's up with any kind of public announcement, out of fear they would plunder it first."

Since that time, the Navy has launched four expeditions to Atlantis, the latest in 1997 -- and has retrieved not only cultural artifacts but scientific machinery, the author claims.

"The Atlantean technology is based on principles very far afield from anything Western science has developed, apparently involving mind-over-matter," Horwick says.

"Some of the latest military hardware we're seeing now, including the Stealth Bomber and the Star Wars missile-defense system now being advanced by President Bush, incorporate technology salvaged from Atlantis."

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/conspiracies/10973
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 03:22:08 am by Desiree » Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 03:19:23 am »

Anyway, Greg, do you know anything about these other Atlantic findings..?

1. At the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean was found basalt glassy lava of a mainland and not undersea volcano.
2. In 1898 special machinery brought into the surface of the Atlantic Ocean from 2800 m depth, a rock island 15000 years old which came from a mainland volcano.
3. In the summer of 1927, a crystal cranium from quartz with a movable jaw was found in the jungle of the British Honduran (Central America)!
4. In 1977, with echo sounding machinery, a pyramid was localized in depth of 300 m near the triangle of Vermuda.
5. In Bimini islands which are in the Bahamas islands were found (in 1969) sunk large stones squared or rectangulared of 600 square metres extend similar to those which were found by professor Jacques Cousteau in the small island Dias of Krete (in 1976).
6. In a mountain of Perou in Piscos Bay a very ancient trident (Atlant's symbol) is displayed which is made of white stones with phosphoric brightness "stabbed" in the slope. It has 250 m length and sides of 3,8 m width. This trident leads to a marked airport shaped flat space in Nasca plain which is located 160 km from Pisco. Wide airstrips and radiated corridors are discerned which stand out because they shine. They are formed by rack fragments. When you see this space from above it gives you the impression of an airport with geometrical lines and signs like in the modern airfields.
7. The gravestone with a carved pilot which was found in Palenkoue, near the temple of the Atlants of Mexico
8. The undersea ruins which were found through Soviet research with head the academic Accenof near Madera and the 9500 years smoothed marble stone which was drawn up by the Rusians from the undersea central Atlantic slope (mountain rage)
9. Some very ancient buildings of America belong to this technique of the most ancient buildings of Europe and North Africa as well as many architectural decorative shapes which are similar to both civilizations.
10. Geologists admit that between the Big and the Small Antilles there was land, which was sunk. Furthermore, that the Azores islands and in their extend Madera and the Canary islands are emerged summits of a big undersea volcano mountain range where often happen earthquakes and explosions.
Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 03:19:59 am »

Des:

The Atlantis Uncovered images I saw some time ago. The "temple" would have to be about 1 x 2 miles in size, a bit too large. I won't comment on the circular city image. I have very little confidence in low resolution images. They show no real details over a large area. Patterns are everywhere. Take a look at this:
http://www.satellitediscoveries.com/discoveries/land_sea_coast_structures/bahamas/baha_4.html
The area of the image is about 3 x 5 miles. The distance between three of the dark spots is .5 mile. Nevertheless we went there a few weeks ago and went to three of the spots, utilizing a drop camera. The area is flat with a sandy bottom. Intersperced in the sand is bottom grass, about a foot tall. It creates the dark spots.

The area around Bimini was imaged by the ARE utilizing IKONOS and a 1-meter resolution. Except for several circles and a few dozen "straight lines on the bottom, nothing else showed. The images didn't show the Bimini Road!

Regarding the story about the US Navy, yes, I think they found something on the bottom.

Other things..., yes, crystal skulls were found in Yucatan. There is a large mountain glyph (a trident) off Peru, seen from the Pacific, leading to Nazca. Pacal's sarcophagus lid at Palenque does have a carving on it that some see as a spacecraft. Obviously, since the sea levels were at least 300 feet lower in 17,000 BC, the Great and Little Bahama Banks were above the water then, forming massive islands. Many of the islands in the Carribean were larger too. By 10,000 BC, the waters were about 90-110 feet lower.

We are preparing a trip to Bimini (June) to side scan and map the "Bimini Road" and nearby "Proctor's Road." We will also collect more materials this time. We also plan on using side-scan to explore deeper water (50-100 feet).

Best,
Greg
Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 03:21:19 am »

Hi Greg, must have been a bit disappointing to find that the black spots were only grass, but did you figure out what the gridded area was? You see those kinds of things a lot in satellite photoes. By the way I read the article William Donato wrote in the latest issue of Ancient Anerican today. It certainly looks like the Bimini Road may have been artificial after all!!! The stone slabs look like they were once fitted together and, in the pictures, are piled one atop of the other. The stone anchors, just like you see around the Mediterranean, are clear evidence that ships once used to dock there.

You said the time period is too recent for it to be Atlantis, but isn't the Atlantis date a bit speculative? I think I read someplace that Cayce had a different method of keeping time in his readings and it was only interpreted by his secretary to be the dates we have. As for Plato, I don't even think the Greeks had a method for measuring time in the era he's talking about so the Greeks were probably guessing at the time period it existed in.

quote:
Regarding the story about the US Navy, yes, I think they found something on the bottom.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know anything more about it..?
Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 03:22:35 am »

Anyway, I also found something interesting in this site about Andros:

quote:
More recently, an underwater stone platform was discovered off Nicoll’s Town, Andros. According to Dr Greg Little, of the Cayce-linked Association for Research and Enlightenment, this may be the ruins of an ancient harbour. The structure is about 150 feet wide and 450 yards long – similar to ancient harbours in the Mediterranean, he says.

And if you have ever wondered what the Americans are doing at their AUTEC naval base on Andros, we have news for you. AUTEC is actually an “underwater Area 51” - a reference to the celebrated top-secret air base in Nevada that is supposed to be investigating alien spacecraft as we speak.

According to some, “magnetic deviations” have been discovered that are caused by micro-wormholes that could have helped create Andros’ famous blue holes. The AUTEC base is said to be carrying out secret research on these wormholes - theoretical "transit tunnels" between different dimensions.

In fact, noted British cave diver Rob Palmer (who explored blue holes in the Bahamas for years until he died in an accident in the Red Sea in 1997) is said by one account to have been killed because he knew too much about these secret activities on Andros.

http://bahamapundit.typepad.com/bahama_pundit/2005/09/discovering_atl.html

Is this just Internet fantasy or is there any truth to any of this..?
Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 03:24:26 am »

Greg, speaking of William Donato, his name also seems connected with this:

quote:
---AZORES---
As for the subject of a possible discovery off the Azores Islands
in the Atlantic, here was the first item that I saw in my issue. You can read
the exact version at http://www.ancientamerican.com/issue41.htm as to
"U.S. Navy Atlantis Cover-up?" on p.36.

It seems a dispatch was put out from the mid-Atlantic and passed
on via William Donato who is President of The Atlantis Organization. This was
September 7th, 2001. A team was about 250 miles SW of the Azores. They had
some very high tech instruments which included underwater devices. They
were researching a 90 kilometer ledge. Why? Because these items were
"spotted" (I am unsure of the exact terminology depending on what devices were used).
They found a temple supported by 9 pillars(3 feet in diameter). The
pillars supported a flat roof of 20 feet x 30 feet wide. Remains of 5 circular
canals, along with bridges. And 4 rings of structures like the centrally
located temple. Location is approximately in 2800 feet in the Mid-Atlantic
ridge. At the moment it seems to be stable. They tried sending photos but
were jammed either inadvertantly or on purpose by several military ships
which carried a US flag. The dispatch notes their research ship was there
on a special research project for Spain. Finally they were chased off by the
military ship/ships.
Mountains are said to rise within 300 feet of the
surface also in this vicinity. Using sonar, they tried following the ridge
west, but slowly towards the south. It is believed they may connect with a
shelf near Hispaniola and heads to Cuba.

Another ship tried tracking the ridge towards England or to its
East. However, the military ships seem to be doing maneuvers, but as if
they are trying to prevent the research.

NOW, awhile back, some updated information came to me, and they
wanted to remain anonymous due to governmental interference. So I guess
the best thing to do is make up a name to refer to them for future reference.
As much as I hate to, I guess some steps are necessary to protect others. And
I would not want to be the one to cause problems for them or endanger them.
So we will refer to him as AnonyMous, which will make it easy for me to
remember.

AnonyMous has shared some items on the Azores "find", but in brief
& very quickly. So my notes may not be complete. But the story I was given
goes like this. AnonyMous explained he was not on any of the ships when
the discovery was made, but calls them colleagues. And his information is
direct from them. Just like in the article, a Bathoscope was one item used. The
complex(my term here) consists of about 30 to 40 structures, and they seem
to be uncannily preserved. The "settlement"(his term) is about 2200 feet
deep which is about the same as Cuba's find. There are "rounds" or
circles, and on one end there seems to be a harbor, sort of like Plato's
description.

Elsewhere recently, about 5 islands have surfaced 250 miles SW of
the Azores. However, this does occur frequently in the Atlantic. Here
today, gone tomorrow. Perhaps.... Time will tell.

At night they noticed something most unusual. It appears as if the
bottom is moving. It seems to rise 35 to 40 feet. I am not sure, but I
think it stabilized, bit I might be wrong.

They have retrieved a few pieces. Even though underwater for a
very long time, the Carbon-14 testing reveals a time which places it back in
the 10,000 BC era or 12,500 years back era. One plate (possible plaque) had
very strange pictographs on it. But it seems different from anything we know of
in today's time.

Further on the circles, there are 9 circles joined & separated. 3
Circles open to a Causeway.

In the middle of the complex, what appears to be a giant crystal
either 40 or 400 feet across(my notes have a contradiction as to if the
second zero was there). There is a huge 30 meter high statue that is
intact. Who knows, it may even be of Poseidon. Time will tell.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cyberspaceorbit.com/cublatx.htm

Was there ever anymore investigation done into this??
Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 03:26:09 am »

Des:

"must have been a bit disappointing to find that the black spots were only grass, but did you figure out what the gridded area was?"

It was what I expected. I hoped otherwise, but stated the odds were less than 1/1000 that it would be manmade. The gridded area is dark grass and white sand forming patterns, which are common in the Bahamas as our 2003-4 research showed. The satellite image shows patches of grass and sand. Nothing else there, perfectly flat bottom.

"By the way I read the article William Donato wrote in the latest issue of Ancient Anerican today. It certainly looks like the Bimini Road may have been artificial after all!!! The stone slabs look like they were once fitted together and, in the pictures, are piled one atop of the other. The stone anchors, just like you see around the Mediterranean, are clear evidence that ships once used to dock there."

The was Bill's article on the May 05 expedition to Bimini/Andros that had Bill, Lora, and me. The next issue of "Atlantis Rising" has an article by me on the same thing. We agreed to share all film and photos and have no restrictions on each other regarding publishing or theorizing. In the past, few groups who did expeditions in the region allowed all members complete freedom and access to information gained. That is, in general, someone controlled the rights or just refused to share photos/film, etc. Bill has a group of people in his organization (APEX) who are wonderfully supportive and very knowledgeable. We do not always agree on certain speculations or ideas, but it's a respectful and supportive group with a common goal and shared philosophies. Presently, the dominant thinking is that what has been accomplished is the verification that a previously-unrecognized maritime culture was in the Bahamas sometime between 3000-6000 BC, perhaps a bit earlier. It "looks" Phoenician in terms of construction techniques of breakwaters and quays. I was not in support of that idea initially, but now I agree with it. Paul Bader of APEX has put forth the Phoenician idea for some time. The anchors appear to be Phoenician, although there are also Greek, Egyptian, and Roman-like anchors there. The marble and cement columns at Bimini are identical to Roman columns underwater at Cosa.

"You said the time period is too recent for it to be Atlantis, but isn't the Atlantis date a bit speculative? I think I read someplace that Cayce had a different method of keeping time in his readings and it was only interpreted by his secretary to be the dates we have."

Cayce was definitive on his Atlantis dates, all except for one date. According to Cayce, Atlantis began around 210,000-years ago. The first destruction took place about 50,000 BC, breaking it into islands. The second destruction began in 28,000 BC, ended in 22,000 BC (roughly speaking). According to Cayce, the flood of Noah was in 22,000 BC. Three groups sent out to establish the Halls of Records in 10,500 BC. Final destruction sometime around 10,000 BC, perhaps 9500 BC or so, date uncertain. Plato's date, 9600 BC.

"Regarding the story about the US Navy, yes, I think they found something on the bottom. Do you know anything more about it..?"

No, not really.

"And if you have ever wondered what the Americans are doing at their AUTEC naval base on Andros, we have news for you. AUTEC is actually an “underwater Area 51” - a reference to the celebrated top-secret air base in Nevada that is supposed to be investigating alien spacecraft as we speak.
According to some, “magnetic deviations” have been discovered that are caused by micro-wormholes that could have helped create Andros’ famous blue holes. The AUTEC base is said to be carrying out secret research on these wormholes - theoretical "transit tunnels" between different dimensions. "

I don't know about the alleged wormholes, but there are a few things I do know. When we first went to Andros we made an arrangement with several AUTEC employees who got interested in our desire to determine the exact nature of Rebikoff's "e" off NW Andros. They were going to take a boat to the formation with us, but it was going to be several months in the future. They had to do it clandestine. We wanted to do it immediately, so we managed to make other arrangements. The AUTEC personnel also related details about finding skeletons and artifacts in caves along Andros that were in water over 300-feet deep. I corresponded for a period with another former AUTEC employee (a Navy SEAL diver) regarding his finds in caves and blue holes. During our many trips to Andros we saw lots of black helicopters and even saw several strayed metal tubes lying on the shorelines that are used for submarine detection sonar tests. When we were filming an interview with a National Geographic crew on the shore, about a half mile from the main AUTEC facility, a submarine popped up just off shore. We were all sort of dumbstruck by it. As the cameraman swiveled his camera to film the sub, it dropped out of sight in a few seconds. Since AUTEC is secretive, I suppose it could be looked at like Area 51. There are actually many AUTEC bases along Andros' east shoreline. The formal explanation is that AUTEC is involved in research that enhances the tracking of subs as well as a base for communication. I'd guess that a VLF cable lies at the bottom of the Tongue of the Ocean that is utilized for world-wide sub communication. The Navy tried in the 1970s to put a VLF cable in one of the Great Lakes, but it created so many disturbances they pulled it.

"British cave diver Rob Palmer (who explored blue holes in the Bahamas for years until he died in an accident in the Red Sea in 1997) is said by one account to have been killed because he knew too much about these secret activities on Andros."

Hmm. Palmer wrote several great books on Bahamas marine features. I doubt he was killed because of what he knew. But then, stranger things have happened.

"Is this just Internet fantasy or is there any truth to any of this..?"

I tried to answer this above as best as I could.

Regarding the Bill Donato-Azores article, Bill and I agree that the Azores had to be a part of Atlantis. But underwater research there is impossible for us. That takes many millions, more than we have or have access to.

The so-called "Lost-City" of the Azores, examined by several large and well-funded research organizations, did carbon date some area to 10,000 BC. They pulled up pieces of the bottom. It is called the Lost-City because of the unusual life found associated with underwater volcanic heat vents. I'm clueless about alleged buildings and a crystal there.

Greg
Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 03:28:04 am »

Hi Greg, I'm totally with you on the whole Bimini thing. I just saw a special tonight on the History Channel on the Bermuda Triangle where they showed some footage on the Bimini Wall again. That thing is huge!!! If you cut through all the bs that a lot of the scientist have been saying all along to dispute it, what you actually have is a giant ruin similar to the types we see in South America. Stone anchors at Andros? How many? I only saw a picture of one in the article, but I heard Ulf Richter say in the other forum that twelve have been found?? It's just amazing that this hasn't hit the mainstream news yet.

I think it's related to Atlantis! Yes, Plato sets the time period at 9650 bc, but the Greeks would have had to have a method of keeping time dating to back then to know the exact date when it happened. How could they have a method of keepng time till back then when the Greeks didn't even really exist as a people until about 1200 bc?? As for Cayce, as I rember, the dates were transcribed by his secretary while he was in a trance. Mayve she interepreted them wrong..?
Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 03:28:47 am »

Greg, this comes from the Andrew Collins website:

quote:
Atlantis in the West Indies

Having reached this far, it now seems certain that Plato's Atlantis was thought to have been located on the western Atlantic seaboard, plausibly in the vicinity of the Hesperides, the ancient name for the Caribbean. This seems affirmed in the Commentaries on the Timaeus of Plato by Proclus Daidochus, a philosopher, poet and scientist of the fifth century AD. Among the evidence he presents for the existence of Atlantis are fragments from a book entitled Ethiopic History by Marcellus, a Greek geographer who lived around 100 BC. He had asserted that `in the external sea':

… there were seven islands … in their times, sacred to Proserpine, and also three others of an immense extent, one of which was sacred to Pluto, another to Ammon, and the middle of these to Neptune [the Roman name for Poseidon], the magnitude of which was a thousand stadia [184 kilometres]. They also add, that the inhabitants of it preserved the remembrance from their ancestors, of the Atlantic island which existed there, and was truly prodigiously great; which for many periods had dominion over all the islands in the Atlantic Sea, and was itself likewise sacred to Neptune.

As long ago as 1962, historical writer Geoffrey Ashe associated Marcellus' seven islands sacred to Proserpine with the principal islands of the Lesser Antilles. He also went on to identify the three islands of `immense extent' as Cuba, Hispaniola - which includes Haiti and the Dominican Republic - and Puerto Rico. The middle of the three, Hispaniola, was, he said, `approximately a thousand stadia - i.e. a hundred miles [160 kilometres] or a little over - from side to side'.

As we have seen, in the Timaeus Plato tells us that the Atlantic island was situated within easy reach of 'other islands' that acted like stepping stones for ancient voyagers wishing to reach 'the opposite continent'. Such terminology could not describe the island chains of the Caribbean more accurately. The islands, banks, reefs and cays that stretch from Central America towards the Greater Antilles form a near continuous chain. Similarly, the Bahamas provide a stepping-stone route that links Florida with Cuba and Hispaniola. Moreover, myths and legends from all over the Caribbean and Bahamas talk of a former age when the archipelagos were one single landmass that split apart, leaving only the islands and cays we see today, following an almighty cataclysm involving a sudden inundation of the sort described by Plato in his Atlantis account. Other more detailed stories speak of this event occurring after either the `ole moon broke' from its position or a fiery serpent fell from the sky.

That Atlantis might have been located in the Caribbean is a revolutionary idea, although it is by no means now. Before the publication in 1882 of Atlantis - The Antediluvian World by ex-US congressman Ignatius Donnelly, which promoted the view that Atlantis was a now sunken landmass in the Mid-Atlantic, many historians had come to this same conclusion. In fact, the idea that Atlantis was Hispaniola would appear to have been first proposed as early as 1798 by Italian scholar Paul Cabrera, (it has been tackled again more recently by Emilio Spedicato, the Professor of Operations Research at Bergamo University). It Cabrera's opinion:

I am confirmed in my selection of this island [i.e. Hispaniola] from among the many dispersed throughout the Atlantic, not only on account of its position and magnitude exceeding all the others, but also, from its fertility and numerous navigable rivers…

Let us examine Cabrera's statements to see whether he is justified in making such assertions. Plato informs us that `the district [of Atlantis] as a whole, so I have heard, was of great elevation and its coast precipitous', suitably describing Hispaniola's mountainous coastline. However, the island would have had no strategic importance to ancient seafarers. Neighbouring Cuba, on the other hand, has a large number of lobe-like bays along its coast, making it a better choice for the establishment of ports or places of refuge. Furthermore, Cuba's coastal waters guard both the northerly and southerly entrances into the Gulf of Mexico, making it an ideal staging post for maritime journeys to Mexico and the Gulf coast of North America. In addition to this, by using the Bahaman and Mid-Caribbean island chains a vessel can easily travel from Cuba to the coast of Florida and the Mosquito Coast of Nicaragua. It was for these reasons that soon after the time of the Conquest Cuba became known to Spanish explorers as the `Key to the New World'. There is no way that Hispaniola can be awarded this same title, suggesting that Cabrera might have got it wrong.

Cabrera also claimed that Hispaniola was in `magnitude exceeding all the others'. This is blatantly untrue. At around 640 kilometres in length and 256 kilometres in width, Hispaniola is around two-thirds the size of neighbouring Cuba.

In addition to these points, Cabrera further adds that Hispaniola was the most important of the islands because of its `fertility'. Once again, this is completely false. Because the island is dominated by extensive mountain ranges that engulf much of the island, crop cultivation is difficult. It is Cuba that is the most fertile island of the Caribbean. Its fertile plains produce the tobacco for Havana's famous cigars. Moreover, they once produced more sugar cane than any other country. With the help of Cuba's rich red calcareous loam, its cane yields a higher content of sugar than anywhere else other than Mexico, a fact that led to it becoming known as the `Pearl of the Antilles'.

Lastly, it is not only Hispaniola that has extensive `navigable rivers'. Cuba also has a series of mighty rivers that cut deep into the interior of the country and rise in the central mountain ranges.

All this suggests that if Atlantis was located in the Caribbean, then it addition to Hispaniola, Cuba becomes an even more likely candidate for the same title (Emilio Spedicato's own points in favour of Hispaniola being Atlantis are discussed in GATEWAY TO ATLANTIS). So which of these great islands might have been the true location of lost Atlantis?

http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/secretloc/westind.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 03:29:25 am »

Anyway, I printed that whole thing so as not to take it out of context, but the part I found most important was this:

quote:
Similarly, the Bahamas provide a stepping-stone route that links Florida with Cuba and Hispaniola. Moreover, myths and legends from all over the Caribbean and Bahamas talk of a former age when the archipelagos were one single landmass that split apart, leaving only the islands and cays we see today, following an almighty cataclysm involving a sudden inundation of the sort described by Plato in his Atlantis account. Other more detailed stories speak of this event occurring after either the `ole moon broke' from its position or a fiery serpent fell from the sky.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were all the islands of the Caribbean one land mass at one time and do the local myths there bear any relation to Atlantis? Also, you said you're working with Andrew Collins so I imagine your work is starting to find more things in common with his?
Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 03:30:53 am »

Yes, you are reading the same things more than once. I'm answering questions, but there are "variations" that have been put out by different people on discoveries over the years. The alterations and fact-mangling that have been done on Bahamas research findings are astounding.

Des: Yes, it's hard to work in the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, unless you are ready to spend tens of millions of $s.

The "Bimini Wall" and "Bimini Road" are the same thing. The main formation is 1900 feet long. The two lines of stones about 150 feet away are about 1000 feet long. Huge, yes. I've never seen a show that showed even 10% of it.

May 2005: 12 stone anchors were found at Proctor's Road, another site about 0.8 miles from the Bimini Road (or Wall). 2 stone anchors at the Bimini Road itself.

March 2006: a third stone anchor found at Bimini Road. Six were found in a small area at Proctor's Road.

Regarding Gladys Davis (Cayce's sec.) getting the dates wrong, only a few of the dates he gave had any room for interpretation. Sometimes Cayce would give the numbers one-by-one to make sure there was no confusion. We devoted dozens of pages in our new book "Edgar Cayce's Atlantis" to the date issues.

Regarding Andrew Collins' research & "Gateway to Atlantis" book, that was the impetus that spurred my wife and I to enter the actual search via expeditions. I agree with Andrew at least 99%. He'll be here in June and we plan a trip to Bimini. He believes that we have verified the "stepping stones" he referred to: Bimini, Andros, Cay Sal. He's become a good friend since 2002. In fact, our trip through Ohio and other areas with mounds stimulated his newest book, to be released in July. He is one of the most meticulous and careful theorists I've met, and he strives to be completely accurate.

Neko: The height of the Ice Age (at least in the past 25,000 years) was 17,000 BC, when the sea levels were 300+ feet lower. By 10,000 BC, the sea levels were 90-110 feet lower. But the entire Great Bahama Bank was still an island then.

Greg

The entire Carribean wasn't a sinle island. There were several larger ones back then.
Report Spam   Logged

Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 03:32:05 am »

From Artemis:

Greg, you mentioned Andrew Colins. Does you work have anything to do with the Cuban site and does A.R.E. have any plans to investigate there in the future?

The structures are awfully deep there so I imagine it would be expensive.

Not to mention, I assume permission would be needed from Castro.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: