Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 09:41:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FARMING FROM 6,000 YEARS AGO
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156622&command=displayContent&sourceNode=156618&contentPK=18789712&folderPk=87030

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the A.R.E.'s Investigations into the Atlantic

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the A.R.E.'s Investigations into the Atlantic  (Read 11269 times)
Greg Little

« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2007, 11:11:44 am »

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dimitri Rebikoff, a French oceanographer who had a Ph.D. from the Sorbonne, immediately recognized the Bimini Road as an ancient harborworks when he first viewed it in 1969. Rebikoff was personally involved in surveying and photographing dozens of the ancient Mediterranean harbors when they were discovered. Rebikoff presented his evidence from the Bimini Road to a large group of European geologists and archaeologists in the 1970s, and all agreed that it appeared to be a harbor identical to several in the Mediterranean. Rebikoff has either been ignored by the skeptics or depicted as a gullible "new ager." But texts and articles in underwater archaeology describe Rebikoff as "a brilliant oceanographer."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did Rebikoff ever publish anything in Underwater Archaeology about the Bimini Walk, or anything else? Cause it would be interesting to see this write up on it. Also, is he still alive?"

Rebikoff is dead. His extensive files are guarded by a family foundation. He did write a few articles on this yes.

quote:
First, both of the geologists who are the main skeptics only held bachelor's degrees. In fact, Eugene Shinn,who is now 71-years old, the US Geological Survey geologist who published the most damning articles, had nothing but a bachelor's degree in biology until 1998. Shinn stated he was awarded a Ph.D. in 1998 "because of his publication record."

He admitted that his 1980 and 2004 summaries were "imprecise" and were the fault of "no peer review." It was an unsatisfactory explanation, especially since Shinn continues to make the same inaccurate assertion in newspaper articles and conference talks.

Now it sounds like Shinn was unqualifed to do any investigation on the wall. Has he had anything to say for himself recently to refute your characterization for either his credentials or his findings?"

Answer: Shinn had nothing but a bachelor's degree in biology until he was given an honorary doctorate right before he retired. It was primarily because he managed to get students research facilities with the USGS. He now says since there were no human artifacts in the stone he drilled, it had to be natural. His 2nd article, with an archaeologist, was based on falsified info. He has done nothing because this is all true. Skeptics generally don't care about facts, they care about supporting a position.

quote:
Third, although many skeptics assert that Uranium-Thorium dating was done on stones from the Bimini Road, that is totally untrue. Gifford dated the bedrock immediately under the large blocks (somewhere on the Bimini Road) to 15,000-years ago—utilizing the more accurate Uranium-Thorium technique. Skeptics are loathe to mention that finding, which was published in Gifford and Ball's original article.

Just to clarify, that is a section of the wall that dates to 15,000 bc, right? Is there more than one section that dates to that time?
[/quote]

The U-T date was 13,000 BC, 15,000 years ago. It was a portion of the stone under the Bimini Road, yes. It is claimed that the stone under the blocks is bedrock, but there are lots of multiple layers of stone.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2007, 12:35:12 pm »

That is fascinating about Rebikoff. We never seem to get anything 'concrete' about Bimini .

Rebikoff and the other scientists agreeing that Bimini is identical to Old world harbour works is very serious.You cannot just dismiss their conclusions so easily and yet the establishment seems to have done so.

If it is an ancient harbour then surely there should be a town or city associated with it .And it's remains could not possibly just vanish without any trace. Time for some diggin' .  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 12:38:10 pm by Mark Ponta » Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »

Mark and Desi:

Yes, I think they found Atlantis.  Soon they will also uncover the
HALL OF RECORDS.  And rightly it should be so, as I feel they, in
their hearts, fulfill the requirements.

Remember that I said on the RUSSIANS' FINDING thread #22, on March 26/07:

".......For the last couple of weeks I have had a persistent, strong feeling that

Atlantis is on the verge of being found......."

All three ARE Expedition were out in the Atlantic at that time.....

Love and Peace,
B
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Greg Little

« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2007, 04:29:38 pm »

Des:

Quote: We never seem to get anything 'concrete' about Bimini .
Rebikoff and the other scientists agreeing that Bimini is identical to Old world harbour works is very serious.You cannot just dismiss their conclusions so easily and yet the establishment seems to have done so."

Des: the Bimini Road was a harborworks. The cut leveling blocks, wedge stones recovered from under the massive blocks, and multiple tiers have basically proven that theory. It is built on stone that dates to 13,000 BC. There is ballast there, and many stone anchors. We do not know how old it is, but it probably dates to 4000 BC or so, give or take a thousand years or so.

The other formation near it, now called the "Paradise Point Pier" appears to have been another harbor, perhaps made when the Bimini Road became untenable. It is littered with culumns and anchors. We'll provide a lot more info on it in 2 months.

Quote: "If it is an ancient harbour then surely there should be a town or city associated with it .And it's remains could not possibly just vanish without any trace. Time for some diggin' ."

Not necessarily. It appears to have been a trading port for cargo transfer. The remains of habitations were probably made from perishable materials. But stone has been used for a host of constructions on the small island. One aspect most people forget is the frequent hurricanes that blast the island. There was, for example, a 2-story concrete motel on South Bimini where we used to stay. After the 2005 hurricane season, it was literally swept away by a 30-foot wall of water. Nothing of it remains. It is as if it never existed.

Regarding the apparent discovery of Atlantis...I do think that Andrew Collins has found the entrance to the Egypt Hall of Records. See: www.andrewcollins.com articles for info. But an interview with him is accessible at www.unknowncountry.com click on Dreamland and then his interview.

As I related in my email, we have found a lot around Andros in the past 2 months, with the underwater stone wall and other stone formations far offshore the most intriguing. More will happen there in 2 weeks. The side-scan sonar has proved to be most valuable.

Greg
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2007, 04:47:21 pm »

Good point Greg ,

Hurricanes over thousands of years could easily scour the bedrock clean I suppose.
Report Spam   Logged
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2007, 10:25:12 pm »

The fact that Eugene Shinn only has a degree in biology and never got a doctorate is a very big deal.  Why?  Because he is the one that has been perpetuating the entirely bogus idea that the Bimini Road is an entirely natural formation, too young to have anything to do with Atlantis for all these years.  Everyone else has simply been quoting his work for the last thirty years.

Greg,

It's a bit off topic here, but I read someplace that the A.R.E. received Edgerton Skyes massive library on Atlantis back when he died, back in the 1980's.  It is said to be the largest library of all Atlantis material.  Have you or Lora ever been through any of it, and, if so, did you ever find anything useful in it?

Desiree
Report Spam   Logged

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.
Greg Little

« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2007, 09:51:21 am »

Des:

Yes, we have been through the entire Sykes' collection. It is housed in a locked room in the ARE main library. It took about 50 hours to quickly peruse all of it, and I made a list of duplicate materials in it for the library. It has a couple thousand books on Atlantis, about half of which are in languages other than English. It also has several complete collections of Sykes' own journals. To us the most interesting stuff is the cut-out magazine/newspaper articles on Atlantis. They were most useful. There are 2 filing cabinets full of them, but they are a bit disorganized. And in 2003 we took Andrew Collins into the room and found 2 Cuba newspaper articles on remnants of Atlantis in Cuba. One of those, which I cited in our 2004 Atlantis search book, was about archaeological artifacts found at Zapata. That led me to gather more info on that specific area. Based on the books and articles there, I concluded that books and articles have been written long ago touting every possible area of earth as the remains of Atlantis. You name the area, and someone has said it was Atlantis: N. Am, C. Am, S. Am, Antarctica, Spain, Israel, UK, France, India, China, Mid-Atlantic, Malta, Cyprus, Greece, Africa, etc., etc., etc. It is doubtful that anyone could now be the "first person" to assert that a general loction was Atlantis.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2007, 03:19:44 pm »

The location least identified as Atlantis seems to be Australia ,my country. At one time I thought it had never been identified as Atlantis but I faintly remember reading about a book that claimed Australia was Atlantis.

It's interesting that Antarctica is more popular, and is considered a more likely location for Atlantis than Australia.
Report Spam   Logged
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2007, 03:38:38 pm »

Hi Mark,

Do you remember who theorized Australia as Atlantis and on what basis?  That would be interesting to read, their reasons.
Report Spam   Logged

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2007, 03:44:08 pm »

Hi Greg,

I thought that the Sykes library was huge. Did it include any actual artifacts or was it all books and articles and news clippings?

Say, you don't remember if he ever had anything to say about Paul Scliemann's alleged Atlantean artifacts at Troy (in 1911), did you?  Those have been said to be a hoax, but Schliemann just disappeared that year and no one can really say for sure.

One of those, which I cited in our 2004 Atlantis search book, was about archaeological artifacts found at Zapata. That led me to gather more info on that specific area.

What sort of artifacts were found at Zapata?  Were they found on land or in the water?

Based on the books and articles there, I concluded that books and articles have been written long ago touting every possible area of earth as the remains of Atlantis. You name the area, and someone has said it was Atlantis: N. Am, C. Am, S. Am, Antarctica, Spain, Israel, UK, France, India, China, Mid-Atlantic, Malta, Cyprus, Greece, Africa, etc., etc., etc. It is doubtful that anyone could now be the "first person" to assert that a general loction was Atlantis.

Course, we have never seen much on Greenland as Atlantis, too, though it is about the same size as the Kircher map!
Report Spam   Logged

Mark of Australia

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2007, 04:26:19 pm »

Hi Desiree ,

No I don't remember any details. I will do a search to see what I can come up with.
Report Spam   Logged
Greg Little

« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2007, 05:17:28 pm »

Quote: "I thought that the Sykes library was huge. Did it include any actual artifacts or was it all books and articles and news clippings?"

'Huge' is relative. It is a remarkable collection of books, articles, and photos. No artifacts. The articles, in so many languages, are a remarkable collection.

Quote: "Say, you don't remember if he ever had anything to say about Paul Scliemann's alleged Atlantean artifacts at Troy (in 1911), did you?  Those have been said to be a hoax, but Schliemann just disappeared that year and no one can really say for sure."

No I can't recall, but there are several books touting Troy as Atlantis.

Quote: "What sort of artifacts were found at Zapata?  Were they found on land or in the water?"

Pottery, spear and arrowheads, effigy bowls, mounds, and lots of habitation remains in the midst of a complex of ancient canals. It is now a massive swamp.

Quote: "Course, we have never seen much on Greenland as Atlantis, too, though it is about the same size as the Kircher map!"

Ah, there is at least one such book.
Report Spam   Logged
julia

« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2007, 03:00:39 pm »

Why shouldnt be Australia?? it is a place where all those strange animals androck pictures are.. It might be Atlantis also..At least more beliveable than spain!!
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2007, 09:46:13 pm »

You guys are all so silly.  It's the best kept secret that Atlantis was off the coast of Canada, just East of Nova Scotia!!!! Grin Tongue Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2007, 10:01:19 pm »

NOT TOO FAR FROM THE TRUTH, Q!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: