Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:43:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Towering Ancient Tsunami Devastated the Mediterranean
http://www.livescience.com/environment/061130_ancient_tsunami.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

AKHENATEN/TUTANKHAMUN

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AKHENATEN/TUTANKHAMUN  (Read 74639 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1140 on: December 20, 2009, 11:38:29 am »

Tut's "car"

Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1141 on: December 20, 2009, 11:53:42 am »

Tut's throne

Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1142 on: December 20, 2009, 12:05:58 pm »

Mystery uncovered ... Zahi Hawass, the head of the Egyptian Supreme Council for Antiquities, left, exposes the 3300-year-old mummy of the ancient King Tutankhamun to X-ray in Luxor, Egypt.
Photo: AP

The results of a CT scan done on King Tutankhamun's mummy indicate the boy king was not murdered, but may have suffered a badly broken leg shortly before his death at age 19 - a wound that could have become infected, Egypt's top archaeologist said yesterday.

Zahi Hawass announced the results of the CT scan about two months after it was performed on Tut's mummy.

Hawass said the remains of Tutankhamun, who ruled about 3300 years ago, showed no signs that he had been murdered - dispelling a mystery that has long surrounded the pharaoh's death.

"In answer to theories that Tutankhamun was murdered, the team found no evidence for a blow to the back of the head, and no other indication of foul play," according to a statement released yesterday by Egyptian authorities.

"They also found it extremely unlikely that he suffered an accident in which he crushed his chest."

Hawass said some members of the Egyptian-led research team, which included two Italian experts and one from Switzerland, interpreted a fracture to Tut's left thighbone as evidence that the king may have broken his leg badly just before he died.

"Although the break itself would not have been life-threatening, infection might have set in," the statement said.

"However, this part of the team believes it also possible, although less likely, that this fracture was caused by the embalmers."

Some 1700 images were taken of Tut's mummy during the 15-minute CT scan aimed at answering many of the mysteries that shrouded his life and death - including his royal lineage, his exact age at the time of his death and the reason he died.

Tutankhamun is believed to have been the 12th ruler of ancient Egypt's 18th dynasty.

He ascended to the throne at about the age of 8 and died around 1323 BC.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/03/09/kingtutscan_wideweb__430x305.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/03/08/1110160831643.html&usg=__h7nQVHnfrTUOryoYwlf7VQZ1ps4=&h=305&w=430&sz=28&hl=en&start=307&sig2=AErBLlTkb_yTGXbDvb0E9Q&um=1&tbnid=HAuoOiZFVBDHZM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3DTUTANKHAMUN%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1C1CHNH_enCA324CA344%26sa%3DN%26start%3D306%26um%3D1&ei=vGYuS_S2PILUsQP4kuHLAw
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:06:40 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1143 on: December 20, 2009, 12:12:38 pm »

Tut's lateral skull x-ray

Tutankhamun has two mysterious chips of bone.

Look at the top left of Tutankhamun's X-ray and you may be able to see two fragments of bone, suspicious enough that some claim they are evidence that Tutankhamun was killed after being struck on the head or in the face. But are they right?

Layered evidence

The US team don't think so. Their evidence centres on the dense vertical and horizontal lines at the back of the skull - these are layers of resin, poured in by the mummifiers after they had removed Tutankmaun's brain.

Because the bone fragments stick out from the resin into the brain cavity, and are not covered by the resin, they must have come to rest there after the resin was added. That's after Tutankhamun died. So these bones are nothing to do with his death. Or are they?

Fatal fall?

Todd Grey still thinks it is possible that the bones tell of a nasty, possibly fatal fall for the Pharaoh. Even though there's no evidence that Tutankhamun cracked open the back of his head, says Todd, he could still have suffered a serious blow.

Did Tutankhamun fall and bang the back of his head, not enough to fracture it, but to set in place a series of events which may have led to his death?
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1144 on: December 20, 2009, 12:14:35 pm »

Brainy theory

Todd Grey is Chief Medical Examiner for Salt Lake City. He's seen similar injuries in his career. As a falling person hits the ground, the brain is thrust forward and hits the front of the skull. Victims usually develop black eyes and fracture bones above their eyes.

Todd's theory is that the forward impact of the brain after a fall could have fractured, but not displaced, tiny bones just above Tutankhamun's eyes. These bones were dislodged long after the mummifiers had finished their work - and now are in the brain cavity.

Autopsy blunder

But others are more sceptical. They say the bones were simply broken in the 20th century by over-enthusiastic investigators trying to get into the brain cavity just as the mummifiers did - by going in through the nose.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/antenna/tutankhamun/images/lateral_skull_xray_CIP2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/antenna/tutankhamun/131.asp&usg=__9rosQf4gHSFZftLLTT3PxPAXoAg=&h=300&w=300&sz=12&hl=en&start=164&sig2=J3qrdF_4TidWa9K3oNvlkQ&um=1&tbnid=FMvqr2SfmrQBTM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3DTUTANKHAMUN%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1C1CHNH_enCA324CA344%26sa%3DN%26start%3D162%26um%3D1&ei=02cuS9mGNJqCtgO78OzPAw
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1145 on: December 20, 2009, 07:19:12 pm »

Tut's golden Fan

Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1146 on: December 20, 2009, 07:21:01 pm »

Tut's burial chariot

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 07:21:56 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1147 on: December 20, 2009, 07:32:19 pm »

Tut's Bed

Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1148 on: December 26, 2009, 09:04:05 pm »

Thrones, chairs, stools and footstools from Tut's tomb.

Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1149 on: December 26, 2009, 10:19:34 pm »

Falcon collar found in Tut's tomb.

Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1150 on: December 29, 2009, 02:34:05 pm »

Wooden chest with colored ivory panels featuring scenes of Tutankhamun and the young queen Ankhesenamun.
From Tut's tomb in the Valley of the Kings.  Now in the Eqyptian Museum at Cairo.
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1151 on: January 18, 2010, 09:59:52 pm »

Mike Nelson / EPA
Akhenaten's female form, exaggerated in this ancient statue on display at Cairo's Egyptian Museum, was due to a genetic mutation that caused the pharaoh's body to convert more male hormones to female hormones than needed, a scientist says.

Why male pharaoh had feminine physique
Despite genetic mutation, Akhenaten fathered at least six children.

By Alex Dominguez

updated 7:58 a.m. PT, Fri., May 2, 2008
BALTIMORE - Akhenaten wasn't the most manly pharaoh, even though he fathered at least a half-dozen children. In fact, his form was quite feminine. And he was a bit of an egghead.

So concludes a Yale University physician who analyzed images of Akhenaten for an annual conference Friday at the University of Maryland School of Medicine on the deaths of historic figures.

The female form was due to a genetic mutation that caused the pharaoh's body to convert more male hormones to female hormones than needed, Dr. Irwin Braverman believes. And Akhenaten's head was misshapen because of a condition in which skull bones fuse at an early age.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photo_StoryLevel/080502/080502-akhenaten-vlarge-9a.widec.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24426101/ns/technology_and_science-science/&usg=__bxUsVB9Jl1U2CnwwsCljZ7cVv9o=&h=566&w=298&sz=25&hl=en&start=7&sig2=vSH_w3VT2a2G_D20HC6SIQ&um=1&tbnid=9i79ESK_GswyTM:&tbnh=134&tbnw=71&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAkhenaten%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1C1CHNH_enCA324CA344%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1&ei=4ixVS6GRK4WWtgOutIli
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1152 on: January 22, 2010, 05:05:30 pm »

The First Family, Ancient Egyptian Clones? Reincarnation? Amazing !!!
[/b]

By Lorieh - Mount Airy, NC

http://lorieh.multiply.com/journal/item/401/

President Barack Obama looks amazingly like Akhenaten the father of monotheism. Michelle Obama looks amazingly like Akhenaten's mother, Queen Tiye. Akhenaten had two daughters by Nefertiti. They look amazingly like Malia and Sasha. The code names of Renegade, Renaissance, Radiance and Rosebud correlate well with the ancient depiction of the Royal Family.

I have been showing off my art work of Barack Obama as Akhenaten to see what people think. Admittedly, most of my friends already see the world differently than your average citizen. Let's just say they already come with a conspiracy bent. My hope is to instill wonder in our world and to say that things just might be a little stranger than you thought.

I would show my friends this picture and say, "What do you think?" Without any other comment.

They would say, "Well, he does look a lot like Akhenaten."

My jaw would dangle just a bit.

I say, "OK, I understand that you do not know that this woman next to Barackhenaten is Akhenaten's mother, Queen Tiye."

"That's really her face?" They ask.

I say, "I have done nothing to alter their faces. I simply found a photo that was facing the right direction and their mouth was closed. I cut the face in half and super-imposed it on the ancient busts."

"That is amazing!"

"It gets even stranger." I say, "I found that Akhenaten had two daughters from Queen Nefertiti...

I wait for it.

"They do look like Akhenaten's children!"

"Notice in this ancient frieze of Akhenaten and Nefertiti with their two girls, what is the other most prominent features of this picture?" I ask.

"Didn't Akhenaten worship the sun god Aten?"

"Yes"

"Oh, and the flowers."

"Exactly. Do you know the code names the secret service gave the first family?"

"Isn't that a secret?"

"I guess it should be but, no, it was in the news. Their names are Renegade, Renaissance, Radiance, and Rosebud."

"Radiance and Rosebud?"

"Absolutely. Here look for yourself."

"Well, what do you think now?" I ask.

"Are there family connections?"

Come on, what are the odds that a woman that looks exactly like the mother of Akhenaten would marry a man who looks exactly like Akhenaten and have two children that look exactly like the offspring of Akhenaten and Nefertiti?

As a kid my mind was open to such possibilities. As I studied the pyramids and ancient astronauts, I knew mummification had a mysterious property that we in the, then, 20th century could not reproduce. Our new mummies decompose. The ancient Egyptian mummies did not. I knew this allowed for the retrieval of a viable cell for cloning and I pondered if there would be some day when "they" would bring back the Pharaohs. I was thinking of some Armageddon script when the dead would walk the Earth. What I never thought of was, the clones coming out as the first family of America!

"Today is a great day to live." They say.

"Amazing!"

By Lorieh - Mount Airy, NC

http://lorieh.multiply.com/journal/item/401/

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:08:00 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1153 on: February 02, 2010, 02:06:04 am »

I know Major Weatherly has posted this in another thread, but since it's about King Tut, I thought it would be ok to mention it in this thread also:

Egypt to Reveal the Results of DNA Testing on King Tut's Mummy

On Sunday, Egypt's antiquities department made the announcement that they will soon reveal the results of DNA testing conducted on the world's most famous ancient king, Pharaoh Tutankhamun, which was undertaken to answer lingering mysteries over his lineage. Archaeology chief Zahi Hawass said at a conference that he would announce the results of DNA tests and CAT scans on February 17.
The results of DNA and CAT scans on King Tut's mummy will be compared to those made of King Amenhotep III, who may have been Tutankamun's grandfather.
The testing of Tut's mummy is part of a wider program to check the DNA of hundreds of mummies to determine their family relations and identities. It is hoped that the program will help to determine Tut's family lineage, something which has long been a source of mystery.
The identity of Tutankamun's parents is not definitively known, though many experts believe that he is the son of Akhenaten, the 18th Dynasty pharaoh who tried to introduce monotheism to Egypt 3,500 years ago. His mother is believed to be one of Akhenaten's queens, Kiya. Others, however, suggest that Tut was the son of a lesser known pharaoh that followed Akhenaten.
Tut was one of the final kinds of Egypt's 18th Dynasty, ruling during a crucial, tumultuous time when Akhenaten's monotheism ended and powers were returned to the priests of the country's multiple deities.
The department has announced ambitious plans to conduct DNA tests on Egyptian mummies, including tests on all royal mummies and the two dozen unidentified ones stored at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. It is believed that some of the sting could show that some of the royal mummies on display are not who they were thought to be. One of their big goals is to find the mummy of Nefertiti, Akhenaten's wife legendary for her beauty.
Hawass has long rejected DNA testing be conducted on Egyptian mummies by foreign experts, and just recently allowed such projects to go forth on the condition that they be done only by Egyptians. With funding from the Discovery Channel, a $5 million DNA lab was created at the Egyptian Museum.
In addition, Hawass announced Sunday that a robot would be sent inside the Great Pyramind of Khufu to learn the secrets of its hidden passageways.
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1154 on: February 17, 2010, 02:29:26 am »

King Tut Mummy Yields New Answers to Old Medical Mysteries

By Crystal Phend, Senior Staff Writer, MedPage Today
Published: February 16, 2010
Reviewed by Dori F. Zaleznik, MD; Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston.

Ancient Egypt's most famous pharaoh, Tutankhamun, likely died of a combination of bone disease and malarial infection, according to a comprehensive analysis of mummies in his royal family.

And, contrary to long-standing speculation, no signs of gynecomastia or Marfan syndrome were found by the research team led by Carsten M. Pusch, PhD, of the University of Tübingen, Germany.

Tutankhamun died at age 19 after reigning only nine years and without an heir, sparking historians' suspicions of murder and familial disease, the researchers wrote in the Feb. 17 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.Action Points 
Note that the study provided further support for certain potential causes of death for Tutankhamun but as a retrospective analysis could not provide definite cause-and-effect proof.
Taken together, their findings suggest that death was not attributable to foul play but rather his inflammatory, immunosuppressive, and constitutionally weakened condition from the combination of a leg fracture and malarial infection.

This investigation was unique in its unfettered access to royal mummies and its use of radiography, DNA technology, and other modern scientific tools, Howard Markel, MD, PhD, of the Center for the History of Medicine at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, wrote in an editorial released with the JAMA paper.

But Markel cautioned about the ethical considerations of DNA research. While DNA was the key to solving part of the puzzle, Markel questioned whether major historical figures have a right to privacy after death just as private citizens do.

For Pusch's group, the accuracy made possible, at least in part, because of developments in DNA technology was a boon.

Rather than make inferences from artifacts, the researchers conducted detailed anthropological, radiological, and genetic studies of royal mummies as part of the King Tutankhamun Family Project.

Statues, sculptures, and reliefs from the Armana period around 1353 to 1323 B.C. when King Tut and his father -- the controversial King Akhenaten, who tried to radically transform religion in the New Kingdom -- ruled suggested an androgynous appearance in the royal family.

Although no chest wall was available for Tutankhamen to determine whether he had gynecomastia, the researchers noted "well developed" genitalia.

He also had a relatively flat head (brachycephaly) contrasting with the elongated skull (dolichocephaly) expected as one of the obvious features of Marfan syndrome.

Thus, the feminine physique seen in art from the period likely reflected a royally-decreed idealized style, not a bizarre appearance of the family, Pusch and colleagues concluded.

The researchers also excluded Antley-Bixler syndrome, but detailed radiological examination of the king's feet revealed a low arch and deformed structure with areas of bone density indicating bone necrosis.

Köhler disease II or Freiberg-Köhler syndrome was apparently active at the time of death and may have caused walking disability for some time, given the 130 canes and walking sticks -- some with traces of wear -- found in the boy king's tomb and depictions of him seated for activities like hunting for which he normally should have been standing.

Among the 10 possibly or definitely closely related mummies examined, Pusch's group also found bone malformation -- including cleft palate, clubfeet, and flat feet -- along with indications of bone degeneration, neoplastic changes, and trauma.

Several of the mummies, like Tutankhamun, had DNA of the malaria parasite, although none had evidence of tuberculosis, leprosy, leishmaniasis, or pandemic bubonic plague.

The researchers also discovered the identity of several of the mummies, whereas only three had identities known for sure before the two-year project:

Thuya, maternal grandmother or great grandmother of Tutankhamun
Yuya, maternal grandfather or great grandfather of Tutankhamun
Amenhotep III, father of Akhenaten
Genetic testing of Y chromosome alleles showed identical allele patterns in Amenhotep III, Tutankhamun, and a third mummy but not other unrelated mummies, a result that was replicated by a second independent laboratory.

This, along with identical blood group results with Tutankhamun, further supported that the third mummy (KV55) is Akhenaten, the researchers said.

Using the genetic information on allele sharing among the mummies, the researchers put together the most plausible family tree as Yuya and Thuya as parents of the newly identified Tiye, who with Amenhotep III had Akhenaten and his sister, the as-yet unidentified mummy KV35YL.

Akhenaten and his sister were parents of Tutankhamun, who in turn was identified as the father of two mummified fetuses.

The mother of these two stillbirths was suggested to be the mummy KV21A, although the little data available did not statistically significantly define her as Ankhensenamun.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pathology/GeneralPathology/18501
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: