Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 07:49:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

McCain gets booed at CPAC

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McCain gets booed at CPAC  (Read 23 times)
Adrienne
Superhero Member

« on: February 08, 2008, 10:41:25 am »

McCain gets mixed reception at CPAC
Posted: 03:30 PM ET

McCain spoke before CPAC shortly after Romney announced he was suspending his bid. (Photo Credit: AP)

WASHINGTON (CNN) — John McCain – who took the stage at an annual conservative gathering Thursday as the likely Republican presidential nominee — got a decidedly mixed reception from the assembled activists.

As he took the stage, he was booed by many in the audience hearing him speak at the Conservative Political Action conference — despite, some attendees told CNN, instructions from event organizers to avoid those negative displays.

“Many of you have disagreed strongly with some positions I have taken in recent years. I understand that,” said McCain. “I might not agree with it, but I respect it for the principled position it is.”

Former GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney – who exited the race from the same stage just hours earlier — was able to win over many of these conservatives, and rack up several wins this year, by running as an alternative to John McCain.

The Arizona senator may have become the likely GOP nominee without, for the most part, winning majorities of either Republican or conservative voters in any primary contest – but winning over the activists in the audience is still vital to McCain’s presidential bid.

Continued ambivalence about or hostility to his presidential bid from the conservative base would make it difficult for him to win the general election. And those in attendance at CPAC tend to be the Republican footsoldiers who help drive election turnout.

Read the rest of this entry »
Report Spam   Logged

"In a monarchy, the king is law, in a democracy, the law is king."
-Thomas Paine

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 10:43:39 am »

Good people are making the CFR connection or the 'Songbird' North Korean connection.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: