Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 06:05:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Towering Ancient Tsunami Devastated the Mediterranean
http://www.livescience.com/environment/061130_ancient_tsunami.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ghosts (Original)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghosts (Original)  (Read 2757 times)
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 11:08:27 pm »

unknown

Member # 2403

Member Rated:
   posted 08-26-2005 11:34 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you had a conception of youself, or you where trying to imagine yourself would the resulting mental picture be of you naked. I can't answer for anybody else but I see myself clothed.

In some ways a ghost is sort of like a mental image of themselves.

[ 08-27-2005, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: unknown ]

--------------------
several species of small furry animals gathered together and grooving with a pict in a cave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 1756 | From: Pontiac, MI. Oakland | Registered: Mar 2005   
Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2008, 11:08:50 pm »

Mish

Member # 2552

posted 08-27-2005 06:45 AM                       
You're right, Unknown. If I close my eyes and try to picture 'me' I see myself wearing jeans and a tee. Wow. Good observation. So in a hundred years or so, when people are seeing ghosts, instead of flowing white dresses, they will see a chick in Levis. Ha! :-) Not such a crazy thought!
Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2008, 11:09:18 pm »

rockessence

Member # 1839

Member Rated:
   posted 08-27-2005 09:47 AM                       
I had a conversation with a 12 year old girl this week who told me of her dreams. One recurring dream was this: being in a garage with a bunch of other kids listening to a group playing "punk" music. She was very discriptive. They were all dressed in black, etc.

She had never experienced this in her 12 years. She said that she had dreamed this many times, from her earliest memories.

I said that if this was a past life memory, then the girl she dreamt of being would have died very young, and she said that she understood that.

This 12 year old writes every day and self publishes BOOKS.

Her parents, I met her father, seem to nurture her creativity to the utmost.

Amazing.

--------------------
"Illigitimi non carborundum!"
All knowledge is to be used in the manner that will give help and assistance to others, and the desire is that the laws of the Creator be manifested in the physical world. E.Cayce 254-17

Posts: 3128 | From: Port Townsend WA | Registered: Feb 2004   
Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2008, 11:10:24 pm »

unknown

Member # 2403

Member Rated:
   posted 08-27-2005 05:32 PM                       
Ok I know this is off topic,

but my cousin had this huge birthmark under his arm, One day he told me he had a very realistic and emotional dream that he was in a huge battle in the Civil War and he was shot right where his Birthmark was.

[ 08-27-2005, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: unknown ]

--------------------
several species of small furry animals gathered together and grooving with a pict in a cave

Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2008, 11:10:56 pm »

unknown

Member # 2403

Member Rated:
   posted 08-27-2005 07:59 PM                       
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/spirits_magickal_and_mundane/46534

Some of the best "ghost stories" of the White House, are from the era of Abraham Lincoln.

President Lincoln's psychic abilities were significant, and he and his wife frequently held seances in the White House. It's no surprise that his ghost is seen at the White House more than any other. Perhaps he expects to communicate with the living, just as the dead spoke to him during his own lifetime.

The President's first documented psychic experience took place in Springfield, Illinois late in November, 1860.

Lincoln was studying his own image in a mirror, when he saw a second figure. It was another reflection of the newly-elected President, but this one showed him as pale and ghostly.

Lincoln said that it meant he would complete his first term of office but not his second.

The President's wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, was also sensitive to the paranormal. In 1865, she reported the ghost of Andrew Jackson in the Rose Bedroom. Since then, President Jackson has been heard and seen many times in that room.

During their years in the White House, the Lincolns consulted with several psychics. Although the family denied it, seances were frequently reported in the residence. The Lincoln family may have contacted their sons, Willie and Eddie, both of whom had died young.

Willie has been seen in the White House by many reliable witnesses, starting with his appearances during President Grant's administration. He manifests most often in the second-floor bedrooms, where his presence was noted as recently as President Lyndon Johnson's term of office. Johnson's daughter, Lynda Johnson Robb, was one of the witnesses to this phenomenon.

Ms. Johnson, later Mrs. Robb, slept in the room where Lincoln's son, Willie had died. Later, Harry Truman's mother died in that same room. When Ms. Johnson used it as a bedroom, she was troubled by footsteps in the room, and her telephone would ring when no one had called.

However, young Willie Lincoln is not the only ghost who appears in the second-floor bedrooms. Mrs. Grover Cleveland has been heard crying in this area. Also, the ghost of a British soldier involved in the 1814 fires in the White House, appears with a torch in the bedroom area.

There have been no reported manifestations of Lincoln's other son, Eddie.

The most widely-reported psychic experience by Abraham Lincoln, took place shortly before his death. His friend and bodyguard, Ward Hill Lamon, wrote down his recollection of the dinner conversation.

The President had dreamed that he was in the White House, but it was strangely quiet and filled with mourners. Walking through the halls, he entered the East Room. To his horror, he saw a body wrapped in funeral vestments and surrounded by soldiers.

President Lincoln said that he approached one of the soldiers to find out what had happened.

"'Who is dead in the White House?' I demanded of one of the soldiers. 'The President,' was his answer; 'he was killed by an assasin!' Then there came a loud burst of grief from the crowd, which awoke me from my dream. I slept no more that night..."
Within days, President Lincoln had been assasinated.

His ghost was reported in the White House almost immediately after the tragedy. Of course, these tales were denied by the government.

However, Lincoln's ghost has been sensed and seen so many times in the White House, there is not enough space in this column to list every paranormal encounter with the late President.

Teddy Roosevelt said that he felt Lincoln's presence in the house. One of Eleanor Roosevelt's maids saw Lincoln seated on his bed, pulling on his boots, preparing to go somewhere. FDR's personal valet ran from the White House in terror after encountering President Lincoln's ghost.

President Lincoln has been seen in many places in the White House, but most frequently in the Lincoln Bedroom. Although the late President's bed is in this room, during his lifetime it was a cabinet room. The room is most famous as the location of the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation.

The late Queen Wilhelmina of The Netherlands stayed in the Rose Bedroom where Andrew Jackson's ghost has been seen. During the night, she heard footsteps and someone knocking at her door. When she opened the door, she saw Abraham Lincoln standing there. His bedroom had been directly across the hall.

Also across the hall, the Yellow Oval Room is the first place where anyone admitted to seeing the ghost of President Lincoln. He was seen by Grace, the wife of President Calvin Coolidge. She saw his face in the window.

Since then, many have seen Lincoln gazing from this window, which was one of his favorite places to think, before his assasination.

This list could continue for many more pages.

As a ghost hunter, I recommend contacting your Congressional representatives to arrange for tickets to tour the White House. Select dates that were significant to President Lincoln, for the best likelihood of encountering his ghost.

--------------------

Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2008, 11:11:26 pm »

Jennifer O'Dell

Member # 2239

Member Rated:
   posted 08-28-2005 12:21 AM                       

quote:
Originally posted by Mish:
You're right, Unknown. If I close my eyes and try to picture 'me' I see myself wearing jeans and a tee. Wow. Good observation. So in a hundred years or so, when people are seeing ghosts, instead of flowing white dresses, they will see a chick in Levis. Ha! :-) Not such a crazy thought!

Mish, I always see myself in a sweater and jeans, but I'm one of those people who are cold all the time.
Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2008, 11:11:55 pm »

Dawn Moline

Member # 2173

Member Rated:
   posted 08-29-2005 08:47 PM                       
My younger brother died in my house. It is a memory I carry with me still, and always will, I was the one to find the body. Anyway, he used to stay in this little room just off my basement. There is a shower in the basement. An odd thing happened two weeks ago. There was a wet towel hanging over the shower as if somebody living downstairs had just taken a shower. I knew it wasn't me, I bath upstairs and the shower hasn't been used in years.

Not much of a ghost story, I'll admit, but it's the only one I have at the moment, and I'll admit, at the time I was weirded out by it a bit.

--------------------
"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato

Posts: 446 | From: citizen of the world | Registered: Oct 2004
Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2008, 11:13:03 pm »

Aphrodite

Member # 2573

Member Rated:
   posted 09-01-2005 12:14 AM                       
I'm of the opinion that ghosts haunt people as opposed to houses. Perhaps such things don't even exist at all, and we see these things more out of guilt than anything else. Sightings by nervous people can be easily explained, and yet, if there actually is a dimension where the dead are trapped in, logic would say that one day we should be able to breach it, without dying first ourselves, naturally.

--------------------
"He who controls others maybe powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.” - Lao Tsu

Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2008, 11:13:58 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 09-01-2005 05:26 AM                       
Been watching that show TAPS, and they tell it like it is.

I'm of the opinion that ghosts haunt people as opposed to houses I agree.

I only want to contact my Dad, not every other ghost running around. 
Posts: 7896 | From: toledo .ohio | Registered: Mar 2000   
Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2008, 11:14:23 pm »

zaphod

Member # 2456

Member Rated:
   posted 09-01-2005 05:47 AM                       
Watched Ghost Hunters last night docyabut. I agree with you.

I like the fact that they do these investigations from the standpoint of trying to debunk the suppositions made instead of trying to prove them right out of the gate.
Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2008, 11:15:41 pm »

Mish

Member # 2552

posted 09-01-2005 07:20 AM                       
I think SPIRITS are what 'haunt' people, but GHOSTS are rooted to their environment. Plus there are different kinds of ghosts. Residual Hauntings are like a replayed recording of the past... like repeated footsteps in a hall. Then there are your ghosts who actually try to interact with the living by touching them, moving objects and so on. These are what most people are referring to when they talk about ghosts.

In my personal experiences I think I got a bit of both. At Spring Cottage (my haunted house from the 80's) I heard children playing in the halls at 2am, and saw visions of a dog sleeping under our diningroom table and a cat jumping off of a fireplace -disappearing before it hit the floor. All residual, I think. However, two of my sightings were more interactive... Twice I looked up to see a vision of someone standing right in front of me - once in my bedroom, and once in the shower. They were within two feet of me and facing me directly -definately there because I was there. When I moved from Spring Cottage I asked and willed my 'ghosts' to come with me, and they did not. It made more logical sense to me too that ghosts would haunt a person, not a place, but my experience has shown me differently.
Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2008, 11:16:11 pm »

Jennifer O'Dell

Member # 2239

Member Rated:
   posted 09-18-2005 01:26 AM                       
Definitely need to get some more ghost stories going on around here....
Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2008, 11:16:50 pm »

Jennie McGrath

Member # 2197

Member Rated:
   posted 09-18-2005 07:27 PM                       
You want ghost stories? I got 'em! Here is a site where people can post their own ghost stories, instantly. Haven't checked it all out yet to see what they have, but here is a nice little ditty from it:

http://www.ghoststudy.com/ghost_stories.html

What's in the attic might scare you!

Submitted by James: JamesJ@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL

The house I grew up in Hagerstown, MD was nothing spectacular. It was small, and cramped, with 4 sisters, a brother, and my two parents. (One bathroom and 5 women, now that's scary.) My eldest sister was, well, I hate to say it, but she was 'sensitive' (if she were rich they'd call her eccentric). She would constantly go screaming into my parents bedroom in the middle of the night to tell of the 'things' in her room (which she shared with the other girls, they never saw anything). Personally, I wrote it off to her just being 'weird', although my father still tells stories of hearing someone running down the stairs in the night. Thinking it was my older sister having another nightmare, my father would run after her, and find no one downstairs, and all the kids sound asleep.........Now, I'd like to tell you of my experiences in that house. One night, when I was 16, I was reading William Peter Blatty's 'The Exorcist'. I heard one of my dogs paw nails clicking on the linoleum of my bedroom floor, a very distinct sound. I reached out to pet him and he was not there. He wasn't anywhere upstairs that I could find him. I was done with that book for the night. Over-active imagination from reading a horror story? Most likely............. A few years later, and most of my siblings had moved out. I took over the attic bedroom. My eldest sister, Jenny, hated to sleep up there, she always complained of being tormented by the 'things', pulling her hair, grabbing her feet, etc. Again, I laughed it off. One night, though, I was reading once again, and I managed to spook myself. I went to sleep with the lamp on. This lamp sat on my nightstand right beside my bed. When I awoke the next morning, the lamp was laying on it's side, the lamp shade and light bulb were sitting a few inches apart, in the middle of my room, on the floor. OK, I rationalized that I must have done that in my sleep. Funny how I didn't burn my fingers on the hot light bulb, though. A few more years go by, I'm married and have a two year old daughter. My family and I are visiting my parents, and we sleep on the attic. We had just settled down for bed and turned the lights off, when, after about 5 minutes, my daughter sits up and points to a fixed spot in the middle of the room, and says 'There they are, mommy. There they are.' over and over. When we asked her who was there, she just kept pointing and said 'The people, there's the people, mommy.' My wife knew of my sister's experiences, and my own, and needless to say we were both spooked. Although my daughter was not the least bit concerned or upset. There's something very unnerving about a two year old pointing to 'something' in a dark room and repeating 'There they are'. I was relating this story to another sister a couple of Sundays ago (July 16th, 2000). While I was telling her, her face went pale and she broke out in a serious case of goose bumps. She then told me that a couple of years after my incident, she was also visiting my parents with her two year old son, and slept on the attic. During the night, her son Chris sat up, pointed to the center of the room, and said 'Look at the people, mommy.' .........One final addendum. I was asking my daughter recently (she's 18 now) if she remembered what she saw that night. Of course, she did not. But she told me that when she walked by one of the bedrooms upstairs (this bedroom was filled with toys for visiting grandkids), she heard a child's toy playing when there was no one in the room. I was telling (yet another) sister this story, and she told me a friend of hers refused to go into that room, because she once saw a child's toy piano playing by itself. I cannot vouch for the validity of the statements in this last paragraph, but I can tell you that everything I related in the first person did occur. Ironically, I'm still not 100% convinced in the existence of spirits, but I do have to wonder about what my daughter and nephew 'saw' on the attic.

http://www.ghoststudy.com/ghost%20stories/sep00/attic.html

Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2008, 11:17:35 pm »

Jennifer O'Dell

Member # 2239

Member Rated:
   posted 10-31-2005 02:10 PM                       
Happy Halloween, everybody.
Report Spam   Logged
Jennie McGrath
Superhero Member

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2008, 11:18:08 pm »

Jennie McGrath

Member # 2197

Member Rated:
   posted 11-17-2005 08:27 PM                       
Not only do I hope that everyone had an extra spooky Halloween, but that y'all have a good Thanksgiving, too!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: