Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 02:22:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

In Case You Didn't Notice, Why is the American Flag worn backwards on uniforms?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Case You Didn't Notice, Why is the American Flag worn backwards on uniforms?  (Read 173 times)
Aryan Warrior

« on: February 01, 2008, 12:30:03 am »

Everywhere you look these days government issued uniforms are wearing the flag backwards. Since 2004, this has been official policy. Lately, I've noticed prison guards, police tactical units, emergency workers, military and civilian aircraft, etc. displaying the flag backwards. Though, U.S. professional sporting teams haven't converted yet. If you look on the back of a $20 dollar bill, you will see the flag flying backwards on top of the White House. The NWO are slaves to symbolism, ritual, time and dates.

I present to you two mainstream websites giving their answers.

The backward appearance of the U.S. flag on the serviceman's sleeve in this picture is not a mistake or anomaly. As the military newspaper Stars & Stripes explained, the flag patch worn on the right shoulder of a U.S. soldier's uniform is deliberately reversed:

Why do American soldiers wear the U.S. flag insignia "backwards" on the right shoulder of their utility uniforms, with the canton (the rectangle with the stars) on an observer's right?

It's a question that soldiers hear frequently as they travel through civilian airports, or talk to members of other services.

And it does look "wrong," because U.S. federal code calls for the canton to always be positioned to the left. The soldiers aren't wrong, however, and neither are their tailors, Lt. Col. Stanley Heath, an Army spokesman, explained in a telephone interview.

The Army actually has two authorized flag patches, one to be worn on the left shoulder, with the canton facing left, and another "reverse field" patch worn on the right, with the canton facing right.

The two different orientations are mandated because Army regulations call for the flag "to be worn so that to observers, it looks as if the flag is flying against a breeze," Heath said.

What does a stiff wind have to do with this custom?

In fact, the rule is a nod to the U.S. Army's early history, when wars were fought as a series of carefully choreographed battles — two armies meeting on a field, clashing head-on until one side emerged victorious.

In those battles, both mounted cavalry and infantry units would always designate one soldier as "standard bearer," to carry the Colors into the fight.

As the standard bearer charged, his rapid forward momentum would cause the flag to stream back.

And since the Stars and Stripes is mounted with the canton closest to the pole, that section would always be forward.

So if a soldier is charging into the battle, the flag would give the appearance of forward motion. For the right shoulder, the flag only appears "backward."

And that's why soldiers wear the flag patches on the right shoulder "backward." Because retreat in battle, as any soldier will tell you, is not the Army way. Source: http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/patch.asp

On Military.com's website:

Answer: Army Regulation 670-1, Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia, is the governing authority for the wear of Army uniforms. Paragraph 28-18 governs the wear of the United States Flag on Army Uniforms.

The flag may only be worn on the utility and organizational uniforms (such as the camouflage BDU). The flag may only be worn during joint-duty and multinational deployments. When the service member returns to home station, the flag must be removed. (Guide Note: A message went out in February 2004 changing this restriction, and making the U.S. Flag a mandatory uniform component for all soldiers, effective October 1, 2005).

Chapter 1, Title 4, United States Code, provides for the design of the U.S. flag and specifies the colors as red, white, and blue. Colors other than red, white, and blue violate the U.S. Code; therefore, subdued-colored flags are not authorized for wear. Joint commanders have to make the decision as to whether or not the wear of a full-color flag, for morale purposes, is more important than having all aspects of the uniform camouflaged.

When approved for wear, the full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is sewn 1/2 inch below the right shoulder seam of the temperate, hot-weather, enhanced hot-weather, and desert BDU; the BDU field jacket; and the cold-weather uniform. The flag is worn on the right shoulder, because, in the military, the "place of honor" is to a military member's right.

The full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is worn so that the star field faces forward, or to the flag’s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer’s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.

The rule dates back to the Army's early history, when both mounted cavalry and infantry units would designate a standard bearer, who carried the Colors into battle. As he charged, his forward momentum caused the flag to stream back. Since the Stars and Stripes are mounted with the canton closest to the pole, that section stayed to the right, while the stripes flew to the left.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Aryan Warrior

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:31:29 am »

Here are some interesting tidbits from a former US serviceman and a patriot on a message blog:

Source http://www.murdoconline.net/archives/000049.html

When I wore the uniform of the United States Air Force I never, absolutely never, saw an American flag displayed backwards on a uniform or anywhere else. The first "backwards flag" I recall seeing was on the sleeves of our forces in Iraq in 2003. They were not on the uniform of those in the Gulf War of 1991 or any previous war. I recall that for a while I saw at least some uniforms with both the reverse flag on the right sleeve and the traditional flag above the left breast pocket.

Now I understand that it is against regulation and subject to disciplinary action for anyone in a U.S. Armed Service to have any flag displayed other than the reverse flag. Why would the military outlaw the traditional American flag (the real one) to be worn by Americans in uniform? Would another 2 by 3 inch piece of cloth on a uniform bust the Pentagon's half trillion dollar budget?

It seems to me that if anyone is going out of their way and making excessive effort over something supposedly of no consequence, it is the military command. For reasons that to me seem utterly trivial if not indeed bizarre, they substitute a bogus reverse representation of the flag for the real one and then proceed to make the real one illegal.

Think about it for a minute. We have a flag that has represented this nation for over two hundred years in war and peace, one that has acquired a great and honorable tradition as well as an exact code of display and ceremony. It has become known the world over in countless images. And I would suggest everyone who professes to love the flag and all it represents to go and look at what is surely the most famous image of all, the raising of the flag on Iwo Jima in World War II. The flag is waving in the breeze and the blue field is to the left, damn it, not the right. No backwards flag!

I'm not certain about the reverse flag in regard to the International Laws of Warfare discussed in a prior post, but I believe there may be something to it because I recall reading about some troops having to remove national insignia from their uniforms before they could be placed under United Nations command in a peacekeeping mission. I don't know enough yet to be certain if the reverse flag is the product of sinister or merely uninformed motives, but I'm highly suspicious and will continue to search for the truth.

by James Macchi
The "backwards flag" is no silly affectation. It is part of a well-planned and coordinated effort to subvert our national sovereignty. As pointed out, reversing the display of a nation's flag can sometimes result in the flag becoming that of another nation.

At any rate, it ceases to be a legally emblematic of the sponsoring nation. It is part of the body of the International Laws of Warfare that combatants not PROPERLY displaying the flag of their nation on their uniforms are not considered to be under the command and control of that nation. All this nonsense about a flag emblem sewn on a uniform not looking like a flag on a pole moving backwards is the most ridiculous and transparent non-reason that I can imagine to try to disguise the real intent.

No rational 7-year old would buy such idiocy, but most adults will because they have had more years of government indoctrination. Because we are fighting a worldwide "War on Terrorism", surrender of any and all of our rights, individual as well as national, is expected and will, almost universally, be gladly given.

Martial law under a high-tech police state is just around the corner, folks. And when it arrives, it will give me no pleasure to say "I told you so" to all those who, certain that "It can't happen here in the land of the free", invariably dismiss this horrific prospect. On that awful day, we will all find it much more difficult to maintain our lives, let alone our freedoms.

Do explore Jordan Maxwell's and David Icke's books and videos to illustrate the pervasive Illuminati symbolism that's plastered all over America.
Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:00:38 am »

I don't think it's a part of any grand conspiracy.  It's just an example of bureaucracy gone wild. But I agree, it looks ridiculous.   Sad

Report Spam   Logged
Wanderer

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:14:42 am »

Or it's simply traditional continuity of left and right side placement-  Ever see the adhesive flags you can buy?  They are made so both fields are towards the front of a car if you'd place each on a front fender like cop cars have them- like the uniform.

It goes back to simply symmetry to the eye.  A WW II US fighter aircraft letter identification VF T is laid out on the left fuselage so that the VF are to the left of the "star and bars" insignia and the T is to the right- the front.  Look at the right fuselage and the VF is to the right of the star and the T is to the left.  When the full flag is reproduced on both sides of an aircraft on rare occassions it is always star fields toward the nose.

Look at the Japanese flag of WW II http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/flags/jap-flag-ww2.gif and you'll see the sun toward the left.  Now the US Navy fighter aces that had these flags painted on the right fuselage side of their planes to denote the number of kills had them painted with the sun toward the right- the nose of the aircraft.  The Air Force guys had them depicted in the standard orientation since they put them on the left fuselage.

Look at Air Force One. When the full flag is reproduced on both sides of an aircraft on rare occassions it is always star fields toward the nose. http://www.maryland-us.com/politics/Air%20Force%20One.jpeg -starboard side

http://www.luftfahrt.net/galerie/showpix.php?id=1912 -port side

The concept is from the time of ships when the colors of any nation are flying on the mast the flag appears reverersed when viewed from the other side since they are double sided but translucent on purpose- not so thick you can't see throught to the reverse side.

It just SOP- no mystery.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:15:55 am by Wanderer » Report Spam   Logged
Anassa

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 01:01:20 am »

Flag Rules and Regulations

To wear our country's flag properly, the field of stars is worn closest to your heart. Further, when worn on the sleeve of a military uniform, the flag should appear to be advancing and not retreating. Thus, if your patch is to be worn on your LEFT sleeve, use a left flag (normal). For patches worn on your RIGHT sleeve, use a "right" or "reversed field" flag.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

Report Spam   Logged

It was a bright cold day in December and the clocks were striking thirteen.
Wanderer

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 11:40:20 am »

It depends on your outfit as to patches and identification placement too.  One might use left shoulder for flag and another might use right.

Things like the flag over Iwo are no mystery.  The flag was mounted on the pole normally with the star filed toward the pole.  While it looks "correct" form the photo angle it looks wrond if viewed from the far side ie., the stars are on the right because the flag is semi transparent.
Report Spam   Logged
Blood of the Martyrs
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:50:48 am »

I see your birthday is coming up, Wanderer, Happy Birthday to you. 
Report Spam   Logged
Wanderer

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 12:07:27 pm »

Hey thanks!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: