Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:45:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FARMING FROM 6,000 YEARS AGO
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156622&command=displayContent&sourceNode=156618&contentPK=18789712&folderPk=87030

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

State of the Union: Awkward moment

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State of the Union: Awkward moment  (Read 53 times)
Penny
Superhero Member

« on: January 29, 2008, 11:10:23 am »

State of the Union: Awkward moment
Posted: 11:15 AM ET

The presidential contenders meet on neutral terrain.
WASHINGTON (CNN) – It could have been a moment for Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton to demonstrate the civility they say we need in our politics.

Oh, well.

Before the President entered the House Chamber for the State of the Union address, Clinton took a seat three chairs and an aisle away from Obama. While members of Congress were still greeting one another, Clinton crossed the aisle to speak with Democratic Rep. Jim Langvin of Rhode Island, a Clinton supporter. He was seated in front of Obama.

While Clinton was bent over talking to Langvin, who has been in a wheelchair since age 16, the senator sitting next to Barack Obama watched Clinton intently. It was Sen. Ted Kennedy, who had made a splash by endorsing Obama earlier in the day.

Here’s where it could have happened.

When Clinton straightened up, Kennedy quickly reached across Barack Obama to shake Clinton’s hand. She took it. As they spoke, Obama turned away. Then the senators seated to Obama’s right – Ben Nelson and Ken Salazar — both shook Senator Clinton’s hand and talked to her. Instead of doing the same, Obama turned to look at the back of the room. Sen. Claire McCaskill, who has also endorsed Obama and was seated next to Kennedy, reached across the Massachusetts senator — who was still talking to Clinton — and tapped Obama (still twisted toward the back of the room) on the shoulder. McCaskill engaged Obama in conversation until the moment passed.

It all lasted less than five minutes. Neither acknowledged the other all night.

UPDATE: Speaking about the moment Tuesday morning, Obama advisor David Axelrod said in an interview on MSNBC the Illinois senator was not trying to snub Clinton.

"I think he knew that Senator Kennedy and Senator Clinton were friends," he said. "This was obviously an awkward day from that standpoint, and I don't think he wanted to stand there while Senator Kennedy was greeting Senator Clinton. And I think that was an appropriate sentiment."

–CNN's Jessica
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Penny
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 11:11:44 am »

The media is making a big deal out of this (and I just printed it), but there is actually a lot less to it than meets the eye.
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 03:19:55 pm »

<yawn> Two CFR shamidates putting on a show.

Don't believe the staged event.
Report Spam   Logged
Kris Conover
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 11:54:24 pm »

I just don't get how the Council on Foriegn Relations managed to get such a dirty name.  There is no proof that they are behind anything nefarious.  I've researched them and all I've seen is wild speculation on behalf of conspiracy theorists!

There are tons of think tanks in Washington and throughout the country.  You can actually make a case that the Project for a New American Century actually has some pull as they talked up the benefits of a war in Iraq and Cheney and Bill Kristol were two of the members. 

But the Council on Foriegn Relations?  Come on!  Where's the proof?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: